Single cruisers

Bristol

Are any Cruise lines better than others for the single cruiser ? Paying double for a cabin is a little too much for me. I can't find anyone who would like to go on a cruise so I'm willing to go alone.

That is the unfortunate part of cruising. The ships "economies" are set up based on 2 per room. My brother who has cruised single with us on a number of lines has always had to pay the single premium. About the best rate he has gotten in four cruises as I remember was 180% of the pp rate.

You need to find a friend who likes cruising or go half as many times. :(

Holland America often offers single supplements as low as 150%. They also have a program in which they offer to pair you up with another single cruiser of the same sex and you pay the regular rate. If HAL is unsuccessful in finding another single, you still get the cabin at the double occupancy rate.

Although I've never tried it, I was considering a single rate on Carnival this winter. For cruises in the next 60 days, I'm getting prices that are only 125% of the regular rate. I'm sure the more desperate they are to sell, the cheaper the single supplement.

Good luck!

Jape

Although I've never tried it, I was considering a single rate on Carnival this winter. For cruises in the next 60 days, I'm getting prices that are only 125% of the regular rate. I'm sure the more desperate they are to sell, the cheaper the single supplement. Good luck! Jape

Question: When you say "regular rate" are you talking about an advertized discount rate times 125% or 125% of the brochure rate ? The percents I mentioned about were based on the discounted cruise rate the rest of us were paying.

Question: When you say "regular rate" are you talking about an advertized discount rate times 125% or 125% of the brochure rate ? The percents I mentioned about were based on the discounted cruise rate the rest of us were paying.

Hasn't anyone simply gone to an online travel site and tried a quote?

For example, what I'm seeing right now is Carnival Ecstasy, Nov 13, 5 nights, discount inside rate (1A cabin) is $249. If booked for a single passenger, it is $314. That's about 126%.

Same cabin on the January 8th sailing? $299 versus $389 for a single. Aproximately 30% markup.

These are based off one of the "big 3" online travel sites, so no special deals or promotions. Looks like there is a lot more than just "150% or more" on Carnival for singles.

Hope this helps.

Jape

Carnival has some 150% single supplement rates. I've always managed to get a porthole cabin at that rate, but most of the 150% cabins are inside cabins. It is normally 200% for OV cabins.

Cotton . . . got to love those "outside" cabins for an inside cabin price. I've stayed in one each time I've been on the Triumph . . . .

Archived