Samana,

snooper1225

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Samana just over 10 days ago. Samana is a very small town with nothing to do and it is quite grotty. Our ship was anchored in the bay as the water is not deep enough for it and there isn't a proper dock so we tendered in.

Once in the town, there were boys selling boat rides to a wonderful island for $10p.p. return. We took this trip and spent a most delightful day on this beautiful island with the whitest sand and the cleanest, clearest water you could ever find.

There were places to eat there, in fact a brand new resort is opening on the island within a month. It was a wonderful finale to our great 34 day cruise on the Veendam which took us through the Panama Canal and up the Amazon river.

Jennie

Jennie,

Thanks so much for your reply. I haven't heard many good things about Samana. I have been looking for a resort that will hopefully offer a day pass, however most seem a little far away from the pier. We're not going until 2/07 so hopefully that new resort will be an option. Do you happen to know the name?

Your cruise sounded delightful. I'm sure you had a great time.

Jeanne

Jeanne,

I think the resort you may be thinking of could be the one that was being built on the beautiful island that we visited. The name of the island is Caya Levantando. It was worth the trip over - 10 minutes - at the most and we hired chairs there for $2US p.p. The chap who arranged the boat trip stayed on the island with us which was great.

Jennie

Aussie Gal,

Did you feel safe travelling with the boys you mentioned by boat to the island? We will be travelling to Samana in March with our two young daughters (3 and 5) and I was planning on visiting Caya Levantando as you mentioned.

I know that even when I worked on a cruiseline in the past, many of us crew members did not getting off the boat in Ocho Rios because we did not feel safe there.

Russ,

We felt very safe with the chap who organized the boat and the driver. We picked some one who could speak good English and the four of us had to wear life jackets for the short trip out to the island which I thought was excellent.

I must admit that when we walkied around the town earlier in the morning, there were a few young "yahoos" but we just ignored them. When we decided to go to the island we picked out someone who was well dressed and could speak our language and when I knew he was staying on the island with us I ceased to worry.

We didn't take any valuables, only our towels and enough money to pay him and to pay for a drink etc. We also carried copies of our passports just in case something unforseen happened but we did this anyway in each port. The ship held our normal passports.

Jennie

• 2 weeks later...

Archived