NCL Pride of Hawaii/Jewel HC mini-suite questions

beachchick

Hello. I have some probably different questions specifically about NCL PoH (or Jewel) aft HC mini suites (cat AF). My DH and I are currently in an AF mini-suite (AB, not HC). Neither one of us requires a wheelchair at this time (hopefully never), but we are both disabled. I use a cane a good portion of the time because I got tired of falling in public, but I don't need it constantly. (I spent 2 months in a wheelchair many years ago, and I've got to say that my hat's off to all wheelchair users who just get out there and don't let challenges or frustrations stop them. It gave me a different perspective, that's for sure.) We both have disabilities that cause significant balance and other physical/neuro issues that would make some of the HC features (such as grab bars) very helpful.

We were asked if we needed an HC, and as always, we said no because we do okay with regular cabins. However, I am considering asking if one of the HC mini-suites is available once we get onboard the ship. I figure that by then we would not be taking it from someone who truly needs it, someone who cannot cruise without it. We are very sensitive to this and would never, ever take an HC in advance. That's why we always say no, even though we technically qualify for one.

To make a long story even longer, here are my questions.

Is the fold-down shower chair permenantly down or does it actually fold up out of the way?

Are there grab bars in the shower at higher levels or are they all at wheelchair level?

Are there two sinks in the bathroom (one regular height, one wheelchair height) or just the wheelchair level one?

How high is the bed (regular or lower for easier wheelchair access)?

What is the furniture configuration like? Are there a sofa and chairs?

How much of the balcony does the ramp use? Is there room left for a lounge, a chair or two, and the small table?

Any other significant differences?

I'm trying to figure out if the cabin would even work for us. If the shower doesn't have high grab bars or has no sink at regular height for my DH, then it won't work for us. If the bed is lower, I'd love it, but my DH would be in agony (and it's easier for me to scoot up than for him to crouch down). We definitely need the sofa and preferably at least one padded chair.

I have to say that sometimes it's hard to have "invisible" disabilities because we do get dirty looks sometimes (and the occassional snide comment) when we ask for assistance. We don't have HC parking for the car because we really don't need it most of the time, but I've got to admit that there have been days where I really wished we did. We just refuse to use it when we can function without it. So, my last question is do you think that we would get many nasty looks, rude comments, or what have you throughout the cruise if we do switch to the HC at check in? I don't like to make a fuss and really hate being singled out for any reason.

I've been reading through the threads here and have one final thought regarding why the cruise lines often use a symbol other than the wheelchair to signify HC staterooms. Not all disabled pax who need the HC cabin features use wheelchairs. (I'm probably wrong, but it makes sense to me.) I think that may be one frustration for disabled people who need HC parking, but who aren't in a wheelchair. I believe that seeing the wheelchair symbol on or at the parking space gives some people the image or impression that all disabled people use wheelchairs. Therefore, if you don't use one, you must be AB and shouldn't park there. That sort of thing.

I know this is a bunch of questions, and I truly appreciate any feedback or advice that seasoned HC passengers can give us.

beachchick:)

Archived