Renting a car in Georgetown, Grand Cayman

MrsPete

We've decided to rent a car on Grand Cayman island. We'll want to stop at some of the great beaches, possibly take a jet ski ride, and just see the sights. We are thinking we'd like to see the turtle farm, Hell, and Rum Point. Shopping is not high on our list.

What are the must-sees?

What can we expect from parking and traffic?

Where's the best place to rent a car? Our ship will dock at Georgetown.

What about scooters instead? Good idea/bad idea?

I wouldn't rent a scooter. Too much traffic for me to feel safe (at least around George Town).

We were there for the week (in January) and we rented from Andy's. I would imagine that whoever you use, you can arrange for them to pick you up at the port area. Andy's has a location at the airport and one along 7MB (right next to Coconut Joe's...which is yummy!) http://www.andys.ky/

We found that traffic along 7MB could get clogged at times. Especially early, noon and dinner time. We were there when the Ritz was opening, and traffic always seemed clogged around there...no matter what time of day.

I'm not sure how long you'll have on the island...but you could do this...

Head toward 7MB area first. It's the most unpredictable, as far as traffic goes, so I'd do it first.

With a car, you can stop anywhere you want. We drove to all the different hotels, parked, walked in and checked them out. If you want to rent waverunners, Red Sail operates out of many of the hotels. They were at the Marriott (which was right next to the condo we were in). Here's their website with more info... http://www.redsailcayman.com/gc_index.html

With a car, you could also drive to Hell, and then on over to the turtle farm if you wanted. There's also a Tortuga Rum Cake store right across the street and down a bit, from the turtle farm (it's right next door to the old turtle farm-they serve free samples of rum and rum cakes). And even if you don't want to stop at these places, it's a nice drive. We found Hook rum cakes at the turtle farm (sitting on a table in the snack area). They had one called "hurricane" which was chocolate/vanilla swirl, and it was really our favorite.

If you go to Hell, there are a couple of different places (although they are close to one another). One has a smaller gift shop, and had a cut-out of a devil (he was gone when we were back this past time-he must have blown away with Ivan). Just up the street from this place is the other Hell. The building is red, and out front there's and angel and a devil (with the face cut out) for a photo op. We liked this one better. Bigger gift shop, bigger viewing deck of the rock formations, and we loved the devil and angel.

With a car, you can just pull over where you want. We probably went down every street on that island...and felt safe. That's why we chose to spend the week there.

Then you can go back toward George Town (there's a cut-around that will by-pass a lot of 7MB area if the traffic is slow), and head toward the other side of the island. I know you said you aren't interesed in shopping, but if you have the time, you should check out Pure Art. It's about a mile out of town (to the right of the port area). They had some of the neatest things...all from local artists. http://www.pureart.ky/

We loved the other side of the island the most. We spent a lot of time in Savannah, Bodden Town, and the East End. There the blow holes over that direction. If I remember correctly, they are just past The Lighthouse Restaurant (a good place to eat) a bit.

The Pedro St. James Historic site is in Savannah. Here's their site... http://www.caymanislands.ky/to_do/activities_pedro.asp

The botanical gardens are on Frank Sound Rd....the road you take to get to Rum Point. Just be careful, we drove past it a couple of times. There's no light...just a stop sign on Frank Sound Rd. and none on the main road leading to FSR. http://www.caymanislands.ky/to_do/activities_botanic.asp

If you go to Rum Point, it's about a 45-minute drive, each way, without stopping. But it's really pretty. The day we were there, it was packed. It wasn't a holiday, and we arrived around 1:00, so if Rum Point is high on your list, and you really want a chair, you may consider heading there first. We also ate lunch there. The food was really good. They also have a nice gift shop and a restroom area. It's very tropical there and we loved it, but we didn't stay long because of the crowds.

If you are at Rum Point, before you leave, continue on the road you were on until you reach the end. It's Cayman Kai and there are some really pretty houses there. It only takes a few minutes to get there...but we enjoyed looking at everything. This is also the place where people have talked about seeing all the starfish, although exactly where they are, I don't know.

We just enjoyed driving around and looking at things. It's so pretty and "islandy" over on that part of the island. You'll also be able to see more signs of Ivan's destruction. There are still homes that are not repaired. We bought a book at one of the local bookstores called "Paradise Interrupted" and I just couldn't believe the damage Ivan caused...and how quickly they repaired things.

We found that we could pretty much count on no traffic heading back from that side of the island, which is why I suggested going there last. I'm sure there's more traffic over there...especially in the morning when people are heading to work in George Town, but never had any traffic issues there.

And driving was a snap. The drivers were so courteous. If traffic is stopped, someone will always let you in. If you let someone in, they show their appreciation with a tap of the horn, and sometimes also a wave. Traffic doesn't move that quickly, so we had no problems negotiating the roundabouts (you "give way" to those already in them), or any of the roads.

There are just so many beautiful spots that you will see that most cruise ship passengers won't. Just pull off and enjoy. The things I have listed is probably more than you are going to have time for...but I just thought I'd share with you the things we enjoyed while we were there.

Have a great time!!

If you've been to GC, you may know this...but I'd thought I'd share it with you in case you haven't...

All the food prices are listed on the menu in Cayman dollars. They will gladly tell you what the total is in US, all you have to do is ask. Every now and then, we had a ticket that already had this listed, but usually we had to ask. Also, most of the time, the tip was already added on the bill, so be careful, or you'll be double tipping. I think they added 15% and sometimes we added extra if the service was good...and it almost always was.

We almost always used a credit card while we were there. Sometimes we used cash, and many times they gave us Cayman money for change. Several times I asked for US dollars, and if they had it, they gave it to me, but I don't recall anyone taking US coin, only USD, but I'm a bit fuzzy on the change.

Try a Cayman Colada. It was my favorite. :)

• 1 month later...
Hi Twinkletoes - thanks so much for posting your experiences. We have been to GC twice, and wanted to see more of the island this time - we are there on Jan 10th. your posting has really helped, and we will be contacting Andy's car hire soon!

Thanks again

Hear hear!!! Great post that I'm glad was 'bumped'. We're planning on driving around the island on our stop in early March, and this will give us some cool ideas!!!

Hope you both have a wonderful time. We really enjoyed our time in Grand Cayman. And we especially love getting out and about and seeing the island (on our own). You can't do that on very many islands in the Caribbean...and feel safe.

Once you both are back, you'll have to let us know what you ended up doing...and seeing. :)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I disagree about the scooters - My brother & I rented them and drivers in traffic were courteous and you just need to be careful like anywhere else. It's a good, cheap way to get around, and you can dart in & out of jams easily.

Just pay attention, and when you see a sign that says "Give Way" be sure to do just that!

And drivers tend to flash their brights rather than honking, so keep an eye out. Honking seemed to be more of a courtesy "I'm letting you in" kind of gesture.

-n8

We've always rented from Avis and had good luck with them. They are at the airport, but send a rep to pick you up from the Blue Iguana gift shop at the port area. They supply you with a very comprehensive may and their prices were the most reasonable I have found. They offer an all-inclusive cruise ship special for the day which was around $50 which includes your required Cayman driver's license and insurance.

Archived