Simple question from a newbie.

Joe&Terri

I don't usually lock my bags. I don't keep anything of value in my packed bags and if anyone wants anything I have and it fits, they can have it. Everything I have packed can be replaced. If I had to lock my bags I guess I would use the ties you get in the market in the produce dept. It acts as a deterrent and security can cut it off if they want with no problems. You can always wait near where they scan your luggage and they will call your name if they need to get into your luggage. I've had that happen to me and they openned it, scanned thru and closed it. No problem.

Calling you over to watch them go through your checked luggage may be an option with one flight - but we took 2 planes to get to Fort Lauderdale - the luggage was inspected when transferring to the 2nd plane - they never told us it was being done. I don't keep anyting really valuable in my checked luggage - but I wouldn't want anyone to take any of my clothes/shoes I had packed for my trip!

Just wondering what is the reason for locking luggage. If the TSA wants in they break your lock and anyone in the airport personnel can do the same thing. We just returned from flying to Hawaii and were asked "are your suitcases locked." Obviously if they want them unlocked they decide to search or not. Not a problem with me because I never check jewelry or valuables in suitcase. So if they want to steal my underwear, etc. have fun. If they do search your suitcase you will find a form inside stating that they searched. Even if you use TSA locks, if they can open them, bet any airline personnel can too. And if they want, they can easily break them.

However, I met a gal at the airport who was so upset. She was returning from a convention and told me that on the inbound flight TSA checked her carryon and neglected to put everything back and when she arrived at hotel 2 of her zipped plastic bags of makeup were missing. She had to go to the nearest drugstore and replace makeup but was charging airline. Wierd!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We always use the plastic cable ties and bring a pack of matches with us. Takes about 1 second to burn the cable open. No problem!! We actually had a nail clipper taken from us a year ago, it did not have a nail file on it, so guess it depends on who checks your bags. No one will take a pack of matches from you.

We always use the plastic ties and bring a pack of matches with us. takes a second to burn them off once you get to your room. Where we fly from nail clippers will be taken from you. We flew with our granddaughter in January and she had blunt cut scissors in her craft kit and they took them from her also. I doubt if they'd even cut a piece of paper they were so dull, but nonetheless, they took them. We've found matches to be our best solution.

I don't usually lock my bags. I don't keep anything of value in my packed bags and if anyone wants anything I have and it fits, they can have it. Everything I have packed can be replaced. If I had to lock my bags I guess I would use the ties you get in the market in the produce dept. It acts as a deterrent and security can cut it off if they want with no problems. You can always wait near where they scan your luggage and they will call your name if they need to get into your luggage. I've had that happen to me and they openned it, scanned thru and closed it. No problem.

I TOTALLY agree! Anything you can't live without should be in the carry on and they can have my clothes...I'll shop for new ones! :)

• 1 month later...

If you use the plastic cable ties to "lock" your suitcase and you forget to pack nail clippers or scissors to cut them, you can burn through them very easily with a lighter or matches. We learned this the hard way!

Just be careful not to set your suitcase on fire . . . ;)

• 10 months later...

My guy and I went to Florida last spring and on the return flight we discovered his dive bag (which is a military duffel) had been gone through by security. The worst part of it, they didn't put things back in the bag very well and instead of zipping the bag, they just wrapped it with a LOT of packing tape. Talk about ticked off!!:mad: :mad:

Archived