book air from Atlanta now or wait

jajvac

I have found air with Delta from Atlanta to Anchorage on June 17 and then from Vancouver to Atlanta on July 1 for $650. Both flights are nonstop. AAA agent advised me to wait till after the first of the year. She thinks the price will go down. I don't know a lot about airfare and the best time to book. Does anyone have any thoughts?

I agree with your AAA agent. WAIT! I've been monitoring fares for about a month and have seen tremendous fluctuation. I believe once budget flyer Southwest publishes its fares (they only do it six months in advance), other airlines will come down in price.

That is a very good price for two one-way non-stop flights on Delta. We flew into Seattle round trip in September and paid $546. We booked that fare 6 months out. Prices did fluctuate a bit but mostly went up and not down. Delta was also the only airline offering a direct flight from Atlanta to Seattle. That is probably true for your flights too. We always judge the cost by what we are willing to pay. If we are happy with the fare we book it and don't worry about the price dropping.

I agree with your AAA agent. WAIT! I've been monitoring fares for about a month and have seen tremendous fluctuation. I believe once budget flyer Southwest publishes its fares (they only do it six months in advance), other airlines will come down in price.

Completely wrong. Southwest has absolutely no impact on Alaska fares. They don't fly to Alaska. And very few airlines are trying to match Southwest in price anymore.

Southwest fares are only the cheapest in 30% of the markets on a CONTINUING basis. This has been proven time and again. I fly American over 100,000 miles per year. On my most frequent route-LAX/JFK, I can usually purchase an AA ticket for about $320.00. Southwest-LAX/ISP (Long Island), cheapest is always about $350.00. AND no free upgrades to first class, no lounge access, no assigned seats and no elite boarding lines.

Fly Southwest all you want but please don't think they are the cheapest or the best,

Everyone,

I purchase at least 6 tickets to Alaska EVERY year (I send employees to Alaska for fish shipping season).

I have ALWAYS found that the cheapest tickets are available in mid October/early November.

Chenega posted the reason for that-Alaska residents receive their Permanent Dividend Fund checks at that time and Alaska Airlines ( and others) reduce the fares to encourage Alaska residents to spend some of their money on travel.

For those that have one day extra and are doing either NB or SB from/to Vancouver, it is very often MUCH cheaper to purchase a RT from your home airport to Seattle, and take the train/bus/rental car from/to Vancouver. Most people save enough to pay for hotel, transport and STILL have money left over. Seats are easier to get at discount prices and the scenery on the train is spectacular.

Into and out of Vancouver in the summer is very expensive. Can you say "captive audience"???

Ticket prices to Alaska (as well as frequent flyer tickets) only go up, up, up in price and availability goes down, down, down, the closer it gets to the summer season.

It'll be my first time to Alaska and I don't travel by air that often, but I purchased my tickets for a southbound cruise the first day United became available. If preferable times/stops are a priority, then I think it would be a good idea to weigh the cost. Because our cruise leaves on the 1st of June, we decided to stay four days precruise to get better lodging rates. I also wanted to have a direct flight home to Chicago from Vancouver. So for $616 total a person we are able to arrive in Anchorage at 9:00 p.m. and leave Vancouver at 2:00 p.m. for direct flight home. If scheduling is not a priority, you may feel better about taking the risk of waiting. Just my opinion, of course.

Archived