Update on Century

funship freddy

The only disapointment we had resulted from the bad air management aboard. The lounges were either too cool or too hot on alternate days as adjustments were made. One smoker on the smoking side would affect air quality throughout the lounge. Several smokers would affect the air quality to a very uncomfortable level. The vents were incapable of filtering out or containing the air in the designated area.

If this situation doesn't improve prior to the time our final payment is due, we'll cancel a cruise we'd love to take on the Century to the North Cape. We enjoy the lounges, but if they are smoky we would have to avoid them and that would affect our vacation very negatively. It's just not worth it. We love the lounges and want to use them!

We didn't smell smoke on the starboard side of the Cova Cafe lounge on Mercury, and we were there often enough that surely someone would have been smoking on the port side one of those times, so I was hoping the Century, built similarly, would be OK...or better. On ships that aren't designated smoke-free, why don't they enclose smoking areas behind glass and have totally separate ventilation systems for the smoke-free and smoke-allowed areas?

why don't they enclose smoking areas behind glass and have totally separate ventilation systems for the smoke-free and smoke-allowed areas?

Sounds too sensible. We only passed through the Cova but did not notice the smoke there unlike the other three lounges.

About the baggage handling at Miami:

When we were looking for our suitcases, there were monitors indicating which hall/carousel had which color codes... some of the monitors were not working. We saw at least one bag with the wrong color tag revolving in our section.

Passengers looking for buses were intenionally misdirected by several taxi drivers... the Celebrity/RCL guide was absent at times. We would suggest everyone needing to get to MIA use a taxi... a bus transfer will take at least an hour for the loading of luggage and sorting by airline.

One comment about the transfers, and this is important for anyone with tight connections. I'm still checking to see if this is the way they will be doing it from now on or if it was temporary.

We were dropped off with the bus transfer (Miami) at what seems like the back of the airport. We had to walk into what looks like a new section of the airport being built but it was a very long walk into the airport and United was at the opposite end of where they dropped us off. If I had a walking problem this would have been an issue.

Also, just so that I don't get flamed. I do have to say that the food and service in the dining room was exactly what I expected from X and I have nothing bad to say about that.

I was on the 25th September Mediterrean cruise and loved every minute of it. I found the crew friendly and efficient. The food was excellent and standards of service wonderful. I didn't like the Cruise Director but this was just a personal thing.

Only complaint about the room was the little sinks no use for washing your smalls without making a mess. They look very attractive but bet they were designed by a man. SORRY really just a cheap jibe don't really mean it.

I am now booked for the T/A on Millennium and I am reading all sorts of negative reports on her condition. I am not put off by this as I was on the T/A on Galaxy and while she was a bit tired I had a room in excellent condition including the bed.

Just in case it is of any interest to anyone since I booked mid October there have been several price drops on balcony and CC rooms. Over a 10 day period my 2B room dropped by £280 and I discovered the other day that there is now an over 55 discount. I had my TA ask them and they said it was only for new bookings. Before I had spoken to her I fired off an email to X in the UK and asked the question. I was going to cancel and rebook as even losing my deposit I would still have £105 better off. I would probably have lost my OBC. My TA was holding a room for a new booking overnight for me.

Success I got an email last night saying that they would allow this. I forwarded the email to my TA and she spoke to the person who had sent the email to me.

I have now upgraded to a CC room and I am another £213 better off making a total of £493. I have to commend X on their prompt reply and given that there is a lot of negative posts here X came through for me.

I note that they are selling Balcony guarantees on the I think Galaxy TA westbound for £559 I think so if anyone can go at a drop of a hat and can be ready for I think 1st Dec.

Also there is an over 55 discount on the 26th April Century. Don't know if this is new or not.

For all those who are cruising soon. ENJOY

Sue

Archived