taxi $$ per person to the orient beach?

dis2cruise

Since 2000, we have been fortunate enough to stay on St. Maarten for a week each year. As much as we love cruising, I'd say we would choose to stay on the island over a cruise any time. Having said that, your question depends on what you would like to do. The road to Orient Beach is the same road as everyone takes. If you are going only to the beach, then you will see as much of the island in a cab, shuttle, or private car. There are a few "scenic routes" to Orient from Philipsburg, but not special enough to worry about. You can EASILY spend all day at Orient. However, if you are interested in seeing more of the Island, you could rent a car and travel beyond Orient to my favorite view on the Island, Anse Marcel. The road up is steep, but the view is a postcard. You could also drive on to Grand Case for the great food in the gourmet beachfront establishments. There is a large market in Marigot for those who shop as well as great French food. And there are beaches, beaches everywhere. Many of the best are hindden on the French side. So, again, the question is what you would like to do. I could, and have, spent all day at Orient and this might be my recommendation if you are visiting St. Maarten for the first time. If it is a return trip, think about the rest of the island. And a reminder, Orient is clothing optional... very optional. Most of the other beaches are more "conservative."

Enjoy!

Since 2000, we have been fortunate enough to stay on St. Maarten for a week each year. As much as we love cruising, I'd say we would choose to stay on the island over a cruise any time. Having said that, your question depends on what you would like to do. The road to Orient Beach is the same road as everyone takes. If you are going only to the beach, then you will see as much of the island in a cab, shuttle, or private car. There are a few "scenic routes" to Orient from Philipsburg, but not special enough to worry about. You can EASILY spend all day at Orient. However, if you are interested in seeing more of the Island, you could rent a car and travel beyond Orient to my favorite view on the Island, Anse Marcel. The road up is steep, but the view is a postcard. You could also drive on to Grand Case for the great food in the gourmet beachfront establishments. There is a large market in Marigot for those who shop as well as great French food. And there are beaches, beaches everywhere. Many of the best are hindden on the French side. So, again, the question is what you would like to do. I could, and have, spent all day at Orient and this might be my recommendation if you are visiting St. Maarten for the first time. If it is a return trip, think about the rest of the island. And a reminder, Orient is clothing optional... very optional. Most of the other beaches are more "conservative."

Enjoy!

thanks this was very imformitive!!

Would you please tell me how long it takes to get to Orient beach from dock? Would we catch a taxi by the dock or have to take the water taxi into the town before we can catch a taxi? Right now we have a short excursion booked until noon- we have to be back on ship by 5:30pm - do you think there is enough time to get to Orient beach and enjoy it after our tour ends? Thanks for the information!

Would you please tell me how long it takes to get to Orient beach from dock? Would we catch a taxi by the dock or have to take the water taxi into the town before we can catch a taxi? Right now we have a short excursion booked until noon- we have to be back on ship by 5:30pm - do you think there is enough time to get to Orient beach and enjoy it after our tour ends? Thanks for the information!

There are lots of taxis right at the dock. I think it may take about 20 minutes to get over to Orient, maybe less. I bet you'd have enough time to go and have a couple of hours of "beach time."

There are loads of taxi-vans at the dock. The price to Orient Beach should be $5.00 pp if he has a full load, more if it is just 2 people. For the return trip a lot of taxis hang out at Pedros on Orient, it might take longer to fill the van up. If the ship leaves at 5:30 PM they pull the gangway at 5:00. I would allow 30 minutes at the least for the actual trip from OB to the pier so I would start to pack up at the beach at 4:00 to allow for time to walk to the pick up spots. This will cut it close but leave some slack time.

For a day trip it makes more sense from traffic logistics to do Marigot first then on to Orient Beach then back to the ship. The afternoon trip back is more reliable from OB timewise as there is less congestion. Traffic can be bad coming back from Marigot or Maho in the afternoon what with construction and open drawbridges and heavier traffic in general. Check out some of the other threads here especially those where KAL has links to maps and other goodies. He stays on the island 3 weeks a year and knows tons of stuff and has great links.

:) Thanks for your help & suggestions!

For a day trip it makes more sense from traffic logistics to do Marigot first then on to Orient Beach then back to the ship. The afternoon trip back is more reliable from OB timewise as there is less congestion. Traffic can be bad coming back from Marigot or Maho in the afternoon what with construction and open drawbridges and heavier traffic in general. Check out some of the other threads here especially those where KAL has links to maps and other goodies. He stays on the island 3 weeks a year and knows tons of stuff and has great links.

I agree with Big Booper on the traffic issue. it is better to go to Marigot and then OB if you are circling the island. However, keep in mind that OB is on the east side of the island and the sun starts to quickly dip behind the mountains between 3:30 and 4:00. Prime beach time on OB is 9:00 - 3:00. So, consider how much time you would like to spend at OB when you think about Marigot. Also keep in mind, Marigot shuts down for siesta. You can get something to eat and a few "tourist" shops stay open, but many close. If you are going to Marigot just for the market, the smaller market in Philipsburg has much the same stuff. If you are going for food, I'd suggest going to OB and lunch there or in Grand Case. My suggestion is, unless you really want to see both sides of the island, is to pick one side. Both sides have great beaches, good food, and shopping. I promise you will be back to see the other side.

Archived