Tours through HAL in Dominica & Tortola..loved it or hated it

newcruiser08820

We are first-time cruisers and planning to take excursions in Dominica (rain forest) and Tortola with HAL tours. Did anyone booked with them? Did you book through the web site? How far in advance?

If you are planning to take the Rainforest Tram in Dominica I can tell you that we did not book through H.A. Four of us hired our own taxi, and went up to the tram - quite the drive by the way - and back for less than half what booking on board cost. The driver waited for us - I gave him a couple of dollars to have some lunch while he waited.

On another visit we took our own taxi and toured the island, saw the Emerald Pool, etc. We could travel faster as we did not have to wait for an entire bus load to get ready to go. We could stop where we wanted to stop and for as long as we wanted.

That being said, it really depends on how comfortable you are out on your own, plus there is always the small chance of an accident or some other mishap. Weigh your options and decide what you think is best for you.

We were there in March and went on the ""Nature's Hidden Treasures & the Carib Indians" tour. It was very beautilful and quite informative. We were deep into the interior of the island and the rain forest. The hike back to the waterfall(s) is quite a trek, but worth every foot of it.

We didn't book until we were on the ship and there were only a couple of vans full that went.

What ever you there, please don't be put off by the standard of living.

We were there (Dominica) after ther hurricane a couple of years ago and the beauty of the island, for me, was far outweighed by the abject poverty. I felt like the not so fictional "Ugly American" gawking at this poverty. I realize that our money as tourists helps their economy but I will not leave the ship when we are there next month.

We just returned from a cruise on the Westerdam (10/29-11/5) and Tortola was one of our ports of call. The first time we were there, we just walked around town and did a little shopping. Having heard so many positive comments about the Baths on Virgin Gorda, we decided if we ever returned to Tortola we'd do that. Well, this time we got the opportunity and enjoyed every minute. Took the ship's excursion and was pleased with how well the tour was organized. It was amazing to see what nature had created and a very enjoyable adventure to explore the ins and outs of the formations. Would highly recommend this. Here's a link for a map of the Baths.

thebathsbvi.com/bigmap1.gif

We also just returned from a cruise that stopped in Tortola (Hi Lee!). We did the Virgin Island Sail-Away and Snorkel through HAL. The sailing to and from Norman Island was wonderful but the snorkelling was so-so. On the sail back the sun was setting and the sky was unbelievable. Of course, the rum punch served by Elvis (honestly that is his real name) may of clouded my recall of the trip. If we go back to Tortola, we will do that tour again. That said, we usually book through the ship and pay bunches more but like the fact that if something happens, the ship doesn't leave without us or will pay for us to catch up. That's just our comfort zone.

Dominica, 10/14 Volendam, Beno...I cannot say any more for this Island or the Tour. Go to the Dominica board and you will see the rave reviews. I second all of them and from what I saw we beat the HAL tours to all the spots. We loved it!!!!!

We, too, were on the 10/14 Volendam -- we had been to Dominica before and had already done the rainforest, Emerald Pool and Caribe Indians. This time we went tubing -- booked through HAL -- and had a fantastic trip -- lots of fun with incredible scenic views.

We also just returned from a cruise that stopped in Tortola (Hi Lee!). We did the Virgin Island Sail-Away and Snorkel through HAL. The sailing to and from Norman Island was wonderful but the snorkelling was so-so. On the sail back the sun was setting and the sky was unbelievable. Of course, the rum punch served by Elvis (honestly that is his real name) may of clouded my recall of the trip. If we go back to Tortola, we will do that tour again.

We're glad to hear that we made a good choice with the Virgin Islands Sailaway for our 11/25 Noordam cruise. We chose it so we could enjoy the sunset from a sailboat.

For Dominica, we're trying the Layou Gorge river tubing. Sounds like fun!

We were the Veendam last Nov. 2005 and we went on The North Shore and Pusser's Landing. It is a tour around the island with a stop at Pusser's Landing for rest stop, there was also one shortly before this one. It a was very scenic ride and not very expensive. We felt it was worth it.

We are first-time cruisers and planning to take excursions in Dominica (rain forest) and Tortola with HAL tours. Did anyone booked with them? Did you book through the web site? How far in advance?

We sailed HAL in 2005 and booked the Virgin Island Sail Away when in Tortola. It was GREAT! We all had a wonderful time on the way there, snorkling at the caves, and enjoyed the beautiful sunset on the way back. I loved it! Definetly on my to do again list!

Archived