Pre Cruise Stay Gettysburg??

isujim

Sailing out of Baltimore and plan to stay one night in Gettysburg and then stay a couple of nights in Baltimore, so we are going in at least 3 days early. Never been there........

Anyone have hotel or bed and breakfast recommendations for anyone who has stayed in Gettysburg?

I know this is a ways from Baltimore but being the Civil War buff I am, we plan to go and spend a whole day there before sailing out of Baltimore.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I am a real CIvil War buff and love Gettsburgh, we live about 50 miles away. May I suggest that if you really want to flavor the town stay at a B&B. I can only suggest the one we stay at, The Brickhouse. If you do stay there you can pick your room, all named after states, but try for a front room, beautiful view of the city. Great location, also suggest you eat at the Daubin House, the food is terrific. The evening ghost tour is not to be missed also. www.brickhouseinn.com Anything else just ask.

Doesn't have anything to do with staying there, but for a great home cooked meal at a very reasonable price, go to Boyd's Bears, 10 miles South off of Route 15. Go down to the lower level, turn left into the dining area. Entree platter with mashed potatoes, veggie, and drink for $8.95. They have roast beef, turkey, meatloaf etc.

Or for $7.95 you can get an open face sandwich of the above with mashed potatoes, coleslaw and drink.

The turkey is NOT rolled etc., it's cut from an actual turkey breast. The sandwich is about 1 - 1.5 inches thick covered with gravy.

We go up to PA 3-4 times a year from Northern VA and always stop there going and coming for lunch. Well worth the stop.

Cheers,

Farnsworth house Inn bed and breakfast is a house just down the street from the Holiday Inn and not far from Jenny Wade's house. It was from the Farnsworth house the a confederate sharpshooter supposedly was sighting his riffle in on the Wade house doornob and fird the shot that killed Jenny Wade. There are hundreds of bullet marks in the bricks of the house from the battle of Gettysburg. It is a VERY interesting place to stay and the only place we've ever stayed at while visiting Gettysburg.

Did I mention that it is supposedly haunted. My wife believes in this stuff but I don't. Certain rooms in the house are haunted rooms, others are not. We have spent nights in two different haunted rooms. Very interesting if you not disturbed by such things. All rooms are done in period decor. The restaurant onsite serves very good "period" food. There is also a tavern onsite but I did not care for their food as much as the restaurant.

If you follow the links to any of our cruise pictures you should be able to find the link to our Farnsworth house pictures on our webshots page. The additional albums used to be to the left but, since Webshots has changed it's set up I'm not certain where the links to our other albums are anymore. When I get home I'll post the link to our Farnsworth house photo's if you haven't seen them already.

Archived