Just one more time, please?

Mack704

Like I said I will see you there.:rolleyes:

"I find a somewhat-too-casually dressed human being to offer FAR better dinner companionship than an empty chair!"

Maybe the cruise line should also impose weight standards too.

Say somewere between size 6 and size 10 for women. Between a 30 and 34 inch waist for men.

Come on!

"Ill-fitting stretch-fabrics and the like are NEVER appropriate in public"

THEMS ARE FIGHTIN' WORDS!

LEAVE MY SPEEDO ALONE! :D

Dave :eek:

That begs the question, Dave, why don't you get a speedo that fits well?

I was actually talking more about loungewear than swimwear... Still, I certainly HOPE that you're not wearing your Speedo to the buffet! :(

;)

"That begs the question, Dave, why don't you get a speedo that fits well?"

I've been told that would kill too many Lycras and put it on the endangered list!:D

Geez! I was just trying to lighten up the conversation a bit AND stay on topic.

Dave:eek:

...spelled etiquette wrong. Sorry.

Mrs. Harvey.

Part of the atmosphere is the mode of dress for the evening. It sets the tone. The atmosphere is part of the overall cruise. Thus Celebrity tends to be a bit more formal than say a line with freestyle dining.

So this becomes a consumer issue. If you don't like the rules, then don't play the game. Its as simple as that. Its not up to the individual passenger to decided what the dress code should or shouldn't be. Its up to the cruiseline. The simple suggestion that someone made about alternate lines was not meant as an attack or insult, but a suggestion to choose a product that better suits you OVERALL, nothing more. If one chooses not to dress appropriately for the evening, alternate venues are offered by the line. In Chicago there are still venues for dining where a jacket is required, and jeans are not allowed no matter who you are. Its unfortunate that some try to take advantage if the cruiseline doesn't always enforce its own rules, that what seperates the children from the adults in my opinion.

"This is a cruiseline - not a police state! Dress codes are suggestions and guidelines, not the Ten Commandments!"

I think your religious reference is inappropriate for this conversation, not to mention irrelevent.

As for "Dave - those phrases are NOT a polite way of saying required - that's just YOUR interpretation! I assure you, we are quite well educated in the areas of respect and etiquette, thank you."

If this were true, the dress code would be followed...no questions asked.

Tinwoman: I have seen the Maitre'd deny entrance to someone inappropriately dressed before. I have seen someone asked to leave the diningroom who was not dressed. And I have complained to the Maitre'd and had some one removed from my table. So the answer to your question : "So they are going to throw all others out?" just might be YES.

This discussion has been on these boards since they started and the outcome is always the same. So why do some even bother to start these threads? Only to cause trouble perhaps?

Dave:eek:

Could you please inform us as to what these people were wearing?

For all we know they could of been nude.

Like I said, if you want to dress to the nines, I embrace your choice to do so. If I should feel like a basic black outfit, then I shall do so.

I do no in any way shape or form believe the cruise lines would deny entry.

Why do I feel like the reference to the speedo is correct.:D

Maybe the cruise line should also impose weight standards too.

Say somewere between size 6 and size 10 for women. Between a 30 and 34 inch waist for men.

Come on!

Excuse me, but where in the world did that comment come from? Has anybody suggested anything at all discriminatory in this thread? All guests, regardless of weight or any other consideration, are equally able to meet the dress code. Throwing in irrelevencies doesn't help make your case...

Excuse me, but where in the world did that comment come from? Has anybody suggested anything at all discriminatory in this thread? All guests, regardless of weight or any other consideration, are equally able to meet the dress code. Throwing in irrelevencies doesn't help make your case...

The point is about standards, sir.

The cruise line has pointed out "may want to wear", from there many have decided to comment on their standards and or interpertations.

Unfortunely as much as some may wish to inforce certain standards, efforts are futile.

As long as the person who wears informal to the dinning rooms money is as green as yours, they will be welcome. :D

The point is about standards, sir.

The cruise line has pointed out "may want to wear", from there many have decided to comment on their standards and or interpertations.

Unfortunely as much as some may wish to inforce certain standards, efforts are futile.

As long as the person who wears informal to the dinning rooms money is as green as yours, they will be welcome. :D

Well then I'm REALLY confused. I was saying that I'd rather have my tablemate attend the meal dressed more casually than not attend at all. I would think we'd be on the same side... I still don't know how the issue of weight fits in...

Well then I'm REALLY confused. I was saying that I'd rather have my tablemate attend the meal dressed more casually than not attend at all. I would think we'd be on the same side... I still don't know how the issue of weight fits in...

If I were you I wouldn't worry about it. Ok.

Perhaps if I told from were, I am speaking from, perhaps there will be a little more understanding.

I have never been to Europe, but I am going in a few days. There were of course many options to traveling in Europe. While considering these a friend of ours recommended a cruise. How fun we thought, we would only have to unpack once!!

Now I have traveled quite a bit in North American, Canada, and Mexico.

I have worked with the Peace Corp and Habit for Humanity. I have had the privilege of dining in soup kitchens, and with congressmen and congresswomen.

During the course of choosing my cruise I asked a friend along who is currently serving with the Peace Corp. What a welcome break she said. So we picked a cruise with a perfect itinerary and sat about looking forward to it. We emailed back and forth, and she lamented on how she couldn’t take much out of the country she is serving in because she is only able to take what she can carry in her lap on the helicopter out.

I happily told her nobody would care and we would have tons of fun and have good food to eat. Then she ran across this thread, and feels that she cannot enjoy her time in the dinning room. Why should she have to do that, because of the opinions of some people?

Of course she has a nice skirt and blouse, it is not as if she will be wearing flip flops and shorts. People should be ashamed at making others feel uncomfortable about their dress because you don't know the circumstances.

Maybe it's because I'm fairly young, maybe it's because I have to dress up for work (legal field), maybe it's because my wardrobe is lacking, or maybe it's because I've taken on a casual nature from modern society, but I find the dress code a bit anachronistic. It's play-time dress-up to make people feel more wealthy than they are, I think.

That said, you will see me on the Century next month in a floor-length beaded gown on formal night and I plan on enjoying myself. I'm not so happy about having to get my husband into a blazer on the informal nights, but I suppose we can play it by ear and dine on our balcony if need be. I was planning to wear a cute sundress for informal, but as I read this and related threads it appears some people would be offended with my presence! I certainly don't want to ruin anyone's experience.

While I disagree with Shirley that "I paid my money, so I get to do what I want", I do agree with her that many things within the guidelines might be inappropriate to ME (a dress showing so much cleavage it's distracting and appetite-stealing) and many things outside of the guidelines would be perfectly acceptable (no tie or jacket for men on all nights except formal).

I don't want to see men in tank tops at dinner (gross!), but nice & elegant do not require strict formality as laid out by the guidelines. I would rather see folks in pressed, nicely fitted, and not-too-revealing clothes than particular items outlined by the fashionistas. There is a such thing as "dress jeans" and certain women look smashing in them! (BTW, I don't own a pair, I'm just saying.)

Happy travels to all!

Maybe it's because I'm fairly young, maybe it's because I have to dress up for work (legal field), maybe it's because my wardrobe is lacking, or maybe it's because I've taken on a casual nature from modern society, but I find the dress code a bit anachronistic. It's play-time dress-up to make people feel more wealthy than they are, I think.

That said, you will see me on the Century next month in a floor-length beaded gown on formal night and I plan on enjoying myself. I'm not so happy about having to get my husband into a blazer on the informal nights, but I suppose we can play it by ear and dine on our balcony if need be. I was planning to wear a cute sundress for informal, but as I read this and related threads it appears some people would be offended with my presence! I certainly don't want to ruin anyone's experience.

While I disagree with Shirley that "I paid my money, so I get to do what I want", I do agree with her that many things within the guidelines might be inappropriate to ME (a dress showing so much cleavage it's distracting and appetite-stealing) and many things outside of the guidelines would be perfectly acceptable (no tie or jacket for men on all nights except formal).

I don't want to see men in tank tops at dinner (gross!), but nice & elegant do not require strict formality as laid out by the guidelines. I would rather see folks in pressed, nicely fitted, and not-too-revealing clothes than particular items outlined by the fashionistas. There is a such thing as "dress jeans" and certain women look smashing in them! (BTW, I don't own a pair, I'm just saying.)

Happy travels to all!

LOL But BTW the "I will do what I want" is not my quote, it was from an earlier poster, and I quoted him.

It's play-time dress-up to make people feel more wealthy than they are, I think.

I respectfully disagree. I do not play "dress up" on cruises; I simply dress as I am requested to do which is the same as I would when dining at a land based restaurant.

Just as wealth is not an indication of class or good taste, nor is the lack of wealth something that needs to be overcome by playing "dress up".

Those of us that choose Celebrity for its overall elegance in comparison to the total lack of standards on display on lines like Carnival and RCI (IMRE) do so because it is an ambiance we prefer, not some pretentious game of show and tell.

As for the "it's my vacation and I will do/wear/fill in the blank what I want", I find that attitude immature and disrespectful.

I respectfully disagree. I do not play "dress up" on cruises; I simply dress as I am requested to do which is the same as I would when dining at a land based restaurant.

Just as wealth is not an indication of class or good taste, nor is the lack of wealth something that needs to be overcome by playing "dress up".

Those of us that choose Celebrity for its overall elegance in comparison to the total lack of standards on display on lines like Carnival and RCI (IMRE) do so because it is an ambiance we prefer, not some pretentious game of show and tell.

As for the "it's my vacation and I will do/wear/fill in the blank what I want", I find that attitude immature and disrespectful.

I must respectfully ask just were it is stated "I will wear what I want"?

You're motivations may not reflect my opinion, but my opinion could still be generally true. Many times people do not recognize their motivations for doing things or liking things or whatever. They just feel a certain way and justify them however they can. I'm not saying YOU do that, I'm just saying it's common in humans. I listed my possible motivations for disliking strict dress guidelines, but then expressed my feelings on the matter while weighing both sides.

My wealthiest friend, a multimillionare, dresses like a bum because he doesn't have to pretend for anyone. I see a lot of people in depressed areas of town spending all their money on surface stuff like designer clothes and fancy cars to *appear* wealthy. These things are common and some of what we see on cruises fits into that, I think.

I would like to once again point out that I saw a higher percentage of men in tuxes on formal night on Carnival than on X.

Tinwoman, while I would encourage your friend to come to the dining room and enjoy herself, that does not mean that her "nice skirt and blouse" fulfill the requirements for formal night. Hopefully she wouldn't be asked to leave the dining room, but she COULD be. Regardless of what the people here think (or you think of them for thinking it), the facts are the facts. Your friend might be made to feel uncomfortable as a result of her lack of appropriate outfits. While that would be unfortunate it should not be totally unexpected. If you want to play it safe, you can opt for room service or casual dining or the spa cafe on formal nights.

I would like to once again point out that I saw a higher percentage of men in tuxes on formal night on Carnival than on X.

Drew, my three Carnival experiences were the opposite. On ALL nights, I saw a higher percentage of shorts, tanks, tennis shoes and ball caps in the dining room than I have ever seen before or since. I found it appalling personally and pretty much in keeping with the rest of the cruise experience.

JMHO.

Tinwoman, while I would encourage your friend to come to the dining room and enjoy herself, that does not mean that her "nice skirt and blouse" fulfill the requirements for formal night. Hopefully she wouldn't be asked to leave the dining room, but she COULD be. Regardless of what the people here think (or you think of them for thinking it), the facts are the facts. Your friend might be made to feel uncomfortable as a result of her lack of appropriate outfits. While that would be unfortunate it should not be totally unexpected. If you want to play it safe, you can opt for room service or casual dining or the spa cafe on formal nights.

I fully expected this.:rolleyes: No sir we will be enjoying the dining room, X has already welcomed us, (unlike you) with due respect to my friend's position.

I fully expected this.:rolleyes: No sir we will be enjoying the dining room, X has already welcomed us, (unlike you) with due respect to my friend's position.

The dining room manager makes the decisions onboard re appropriate attire for the evening. This is not a corporate call.

While I am not discounting your friend's relationship with X based on her position, there would be no way for the dining room staff to know that she be accorded privileges above and beyond the rest of the passengers unless an issue was made at the time of arrival.

Have a nice cruise.

Please stop saying "unlike you". I have stated on a NUMBER of occasions in this thread that I welcome people dressed tastefully albeit more casually in the dining room. Your problem with enforcement of the dress code is not with me. HOWEVER, you also said that your friend was worried and uncomfortable upon hearing about the dress code issues. If she chooses to dine in the dining room in clothes that don't meet the dress code, she faces the risk of being embarassed, either by the maitre d' or (even if, as you say, X welcomes you with due respect to your friend's position) by another passenger. I was trying to give you options that took into account your friend's sensitivities. I will no longer try to be helpful where it is clearly not appreciated!

If Celebrity is really now saying "may wish to wear", then I certainly would not interpret that as "required". If they mean required, then they should say required.

Some may feel that it shows "class" to interpret it thusly, but that's another thing altogether.

What the phrase "may wish to wear" says to me is "If you'd like to dress up, feel free to do so". It appears to me that Celebrity is just hedging its bets, and trying to be all things to all people, hoping that everyone will interpret the phrase according to the way they would like to see things.:rolleyes:

Please stop saying "unlike you". I have stated on a NUMBER of occasions in this thread that I welcome people dressed tastefully albeit more casually in the dining room. Your problem with enforcement of the dress code is not with me. HOWEVER, you also said that your friend was worried and uncomfortable upon hearing about the dress code issues. If she chooses to dine in the dining room in clothes that don't meet the dress code, she faces the risk of being embarassed, either by the maitre d' or (even if, as you say, X welcomes you with due respect to your friend's position) by another passenger. I was trying to give you options that took into account your friend's sensitivities. I will no longer try to be helpful where it is clearly not appreciated!

I am an intelligent person and am fully aware of X's policies. My friend was not concerned about X, they have been wonderful to us. She read of the harshess of some peoples opinions here and that caused her some concern. X has thankfully eleavated any concerns.

Archived