Just one more time, please?

Mack704

If Passenger A is dressed respectably (although not formally) and Passenger B is making Passenger A feel uncomfortable, by glaring or making pointed remarks, then I know which one I think has no class. :D

Hear, hear!

Mrs. Harvey

If Passenger A is dressed respectably (although not formally) and Passenger B is making Passenger A feel uncomfortable, by glaring or making pointed remarks, then I know which one I think has no class. :D

I, too, think like you. Hopefully, my cruise next month will be full of reasonable, classy folks like you, shoreless!

:D Michele

Shirley, your friend will be fine. Most people have at least a modicum of class, thank heavens. If she wants to dress up her outfit, the onboard shops sell $10 scarves or costume jewelry for extra 'spiff'.

I did disagree with one of your earlier posts where you said "I pay the same price and may choose to dress any way I wish". That is disrespectful to your fellow passengers. Naughty, naughty. You may not have know but "them's fightin' words" on this board. You did dig yourself out of that hole nicely later, though, so I forgive you. :D

Now, I am a 'fluffy' lady who loves to dress up, so y'all will know where I am coming from when I say this next part. One of the aspects of 'formal' that seems to be overlooked is the well-dressed part. Ladies, trust me, y'all don't look very 'formal' when you stuff yourselves into the smallest dress that can physically be zipped on to your body (or, heaven forbid, stretched over it like a too-short rubber band). That includes you lovely young ladies with nice figures, by the way. My DH and I sat in the martini bar on Mercury on our last cruise while we were waiting for dinner on formal night and I had the chance to take a good look at some of the clothes that were being paraded around. OMG! Way too many of the ladies looked like overstuffed sausages covered in beads. A few looked like they would cause auto accidents in the red light district. And, while I am by no means a prude, I do not need to know the color of your underwear and/or bra by direct observation. Too much information, girls! And no, I did not stare, laugh, or point (though the laughing part was very tempting). I have to say, chances are that Shirley's Peace Corps friend will be better dressed than a lot of the women of all ages on that cruise.

By the way, it did not take away from my enjoyment of the cruise or formal night. Not one little bit. I mostly looked at my always handsome DH--plenty of good ambience there! ;)

Linda

Shirley, your friend will be fine. Most people have at least a modicum of class, thank heavens. If she wants to dress up her outfit, the onboard shops sell $10 scarves or costume jewelry for extra 'spiff'.

I did disagree with one of your earlier posts where you said "I pay the same price and may choose to dress any way I wish". That is disrespectful to your fellow passengers. Naughty, naughty. You may not have know but "them's fightin' words" on this board. You did dig yourself out of that hole nicely later, though, so I forgive you. :D

Now, I am a 'fluffy' lady who loves to dress up, so y'all will know where I am coming from when I say this next part. One of the aspects of 'formal' that seems to be overlooked is the well-dressed part. Ladies, trust me, y'all don't look very 'formal' when you stuff yourselves into the smallest dress that can physically be zipped on to your body (or, heaven forbid, stretched over it like a too-short rubber band). That includes you lovely young ladies with nice figures, by the way. My DH and I sat in the martini bar on Mercury on our last cruise while we were waiting for dinner on formal night and I had the chance to take a good look at some of the clothes that were being paraded around. OMG! Way too many of the ladies looked like overstuffed sausages covered in beads. A few looked like they would cause auto accidents in the red light district. And, while I am by no means a prude, I do not need to know the color of your underwear and/or bra by direct observation. Too much information, girls! And no, I did not stare, laugh, or point (though the laughing part was very tempting). I have to say, chances are that Shirley's Peace Corps friend will be better dressed than a lot of the women of all ages on that cruise.

By the way, it did not take away from my enjoyment of the cruise or formal night. Not one little bit. I mostly looked at my always handsome DH--plenty of good ambience there! ;)

Linda

What a wonderful sense of humor Linda!!

Upon rereading my sentence about chosing to wear what I wished, I realize it didn't come over in the context I mean.:o The key words were I may choose, (not I will or I am or I can)but rather it is a choice, and that was in response to the person whom had posted before me. I have in my lifetime been able to work and interact with a huge cross section of wonderful people, from all walks of life, different lifestyles, and incomes. For someone to imply that if I don't dress to their specifations they will "tell" on me is to me insulting.

I of course know what formal, informal and casual means. I am sure there is a broad difference as to what people "think" formal means. (I mean just look at the threads on this board devoted to it)

Some a gown with sparkling sequins, some a long black dress and pearls, some a dress that they wore to their daughter or sons' wedding, some a classic suit with diamonds. If my friend wears her basic classy black outfit with her special diamonds and we chose to set at a quiet table and enjoy dinner I really do not see why anyone would care.

How wonderful to see them all embracing life and what it has to offer. :)

Tinwoman,

I find your history on the boards to be interesting. You have 79 posts, 17 on this topic.

It appears you have not cruised X before and this may even be your first cruise. Yet, you are so adamate that you will dress as you like and every one should.

To do this shows a lack of respect for your tablemates and the cruiseline who sets the dress code. The cruiseline has made available alternate dining for those who don't want to dress up. Why should anyone have the right to disregard the dress code and force that upon those who want the formal atmosphere.

As to those who said they would rather have an dressed down individual than an empty chair, I am the opposite way. I want the formal atmosphere and am bothered by those who disregard it. I have had people come to formal dinner dressed in slacks and a sweater. It bothered me throughout dinner. I was still pleasant and nice to them, but it did deminish the experience.

As to why the dress code isn't enforced, it's because the matre' des are afraid to. If they don't allow someone in, they are likely to write them in the survey and they could end up loosing their job.

Personally I thought the pantsuits were simply a dressed up version of the industrial jumpsuits or flight suits, but more tailored and nicer fabric........Think Charlies Angels, or Captain and Tenille :D

Dave:eek:

Heavens no. Pantsuits are usually two pieces just as Caviargal described. I have seen business-type suits made over with a sequined tank or silky sexy camisole and the like. Jewelry can help a lot too.

I am responding to all of you that think clothes make the person. This will be my 14th cruise. My family has been to Disneyworld double digit times and yes, we have been on a guided tour of Isreal that you would envy.

My dad dressed to the nines and I am just the opposite. I will bring a dark suit on my upcoming cruise because my wife requested it, but the tuxedo is staying home.

If you feel uncomfortable in my presence, you have my permission to get up and leave. If you make comment, expect it to be returned.

We chose X because our friends are on this cruise and we like the itinerary. The last time we were on X, the waiter did everything but eat my food. That not being as important to me as to some of you, I respect your wishes to have it done.

Finally, the word "may" does not mean "must".

My dad dressed to the nines and I am just the opposite. I will bring a dark suit on my upcoming cruise because my wife requested it, but the tuxedo is staying home.

So you will be meeting the guidelines. Nobody is complaining about you.:confused:

A delightful break from the ordinary, dining aboard Celebrity is a true taste of luxury. Whether dining at an intimate table for two or an elaborate table for many, appropriate attire is part of the overall ambience.

dotted_line.gifspacer.gifEvening Dress Codes

Celebrity's evening dress codes include three types: formal, casual and informal. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the appropriate evening attire.

Formal Night Attire

Ladies: Evening gown or fancy dress

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit

Informal Night Attire

Ladies: Informal dress or pants and blouse

Gentlemen: Jacket and tie with slacks

Casual Night Attire

Ladies: Pantsuit or sporty outfit

Gentlemen: Sport shirt and slacks

Dining in jeans detracts from the overall ambience and is therefore not allowed in the main dining room after 6:00pm. Evening dress codes apply to main restaurant dining. Specialty restaurant dining*, requires a jacket for gentlemen and a dress or pants and a blouse for ladies every night.

Dave:eek:

spacer.gif

Here is the link:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=0000ZuXja7gvL-FwT2k_VNB2S-X:1028etqv2;jsessionid=0000wYhoVcNW_S7BM4iBvMv2Y1u:1051tg0lk?faqSubjectName=Dress+Codes&faqId=478&pagename=faq_answers

A gentleman's choice for casual nights includes a sport shirt and slacks, while women will be comfortable in a pants suit, skirt and blouse, or casual dress.

On informal nights, men are requested to wear a jacket, shirt and tie, while women may want to wear a suit or dress.

For the formal nights, including the Captain's Welcome Aboard Cocktail Party, dinner on the second night, and the Captain's Farewell Dinner held the next-to-last night of the cruise; both men and women may prefer more dressy attire, such as an evening gown for women and a tuxedo or dress suit for men.

Celebrity Cruises has implemented a casual dining service on its five ships. Casual dining is offered most nights on every cruise, depending upon the itinerary, and is served in the Palm Springs Grill and pool area on the Mercury and at the Oasis Grill and pool area on the Galaxy. On the Zenith casual dining is offered in the Windsurf Cafe. On the Century casual dining is available in the Sky Bar. On our newest ships, casual dining is offered at the Seaside Grill and pool on the Constellation, the Oceanview Grill and pool area on the Infinity, the Ocean Grill on the Millennium and the Waterfall Grill on the Summit.

spacer.gif

Yes, and if you are in a high-class restaurant and you light up a cigar or start talking very loud on your cell phone, the maitre d' would most likely come over and say "Perhaps you would be more comfortable outside". In case it's not obvious, that is code for GET THE HECK OUT OF HERE! It's simply a polite way of putting it.

If it was truly optional, they wouldn't need to mention it. You are free to wear a tux on casual nights as well, but they don't mention that. They are posting the minimum acceptable standards of dress.

The age old argument for those who do not intend to comply or are offended by the dress code is that the cruise line uses the words "suggested" or "may" as opposed to demanding compliance.

They do this because they expect their passengers to be adults capable of being appropriately dressed. Since they do to the trouble of publishing a comprehensive description of what is expected it does not seem to be too much to ask of passengers.

They do not forbid folks to come to dinner in speedos or a host of other attire, assuming that good judgement will be exercised.

It is quite unfortunate that sometimes it is not and much appreciated when the Maitre'D deals accordingly with the offender.

The age old argument for those who do not intend to comply or are offended by the dress code is that the cruise line uses the words "suggested" or "may" as opposed to demanding compliance.

They do this because they expect their passengers to be adults capable of being appropriately dressed. Since they do to the trouble of publishing a comprehensive description of what is expected it does not seem to be too much to ask of passengers.

They do not forbid folks to come to dinner in speedos or a host of other attire, assuming that good judgement will be exercised.

It is quite unfortunate that sometimes it is not and much appreciated when the Maitre'D deals accordingly with the offender.

Well said.

Unfortunately, if a Maitre'D deals with it accordingly he will receive a bad review and the surveys and too many bad right ups will cause him to loose his job. Sad, that doing your job properly can lead to this end, but it can.

It's a no win situation.

I will have you know though, even on a Greek based line as X, Togas are not formal wear. Even if you wear a tie.

Well said.

The sad part is the way X works. A Maitre'D does his job and refuses entry, he is receives a bad review, too many of those can lead to him losing his job. Why> Because he did the right thing.

I am sorry that what I stated was misunderstood. I will wear the dark suit on formal nights, but thereafter a nice pair of slacks and shirt will suffice. If you do not like my attire, please feel free to leave as my wife and I are on the cruise to relax and enjoy ourselves.

I am sorry that what I stated was misunderstood. I will wear the dark suit on formal nights, but thereafter a nice pair of slacks and shirt will suffice. If you do not like my attire, please feel free to leave as my wife and I are on the cruise to relax and enjoy ourselves.

So what you are saying (just to clarify) is that you will dress within the guidelines for formal nights and for casual nights, but on INformal nights, you will refuse to wear a jacket/tie?

It doesn't sound like a big enough deal to ruin anybody's evening...

Archived