Back to back question

Fblack

I have booked a 26 night “back to back” for September 25th next year on the Westerdam out of Civitavecchia. Once we return to Civitavecchia after the first leg of the trip, is it hard to get off and on the ship during the turnaround period?

If I get off, do I have to go through the whole security deal and get in line again with new incoming passengers? I also heard that I will need to turn in my old ID card etc. Anyone know the procedure? Anyone else on this cruise?

Hi FBlack,

We are on the October 5th transatlantic on the Westerdam. On my previous transatlantics turn-around day has been relatively easy. Pax on B2B can get off, there are even shore tours available. You will get off separately from the debarking pax and get back on using a different gangway than the new pax. You should get your new card a day or two before getting back to Rome on the first leg. You use your old card to get off and your new card to re-board. You'll be given instructions. We took a ship's tour on that day in Amsterdam so all was handled for us, and ours were roundtrips and we remained in the same cabin. The conditions above apply to B2bs and not roundtrips. We didn't need a new card. You will be considered in-transit so you should have similar conditions to a regular port stop when you start the 2nd leg in Rome.

I am going to start a roll call on the rc board for the transatlantic leg sometime soon. Please watch for it and maybe we can get it rolling by early spring.

If you have any more questions please ask.

GN

Hi,

We chose to take HAL air for this trip as it was only $879 RT. I imagine it's an overnight flight from Tulsa, I think it's Houston, Newark, Rome. We'll probably not use a HAL hotel so I'm looking at some town car/limo services from FCO. Some seem pretty reasonable. Our decision will be whether we stay in Rome or Civitavecchia. HAL hotel rates are per person and I'd rather not pay double so we will not get transfers. We can get day of sailing transfers but we always fly in a day or two early to avoid the stress. This will be off season so I'm not too concerned about finding a room and transportation to the pier. I just hope the Euro stays down. Last time the exchange rate was awful. At least this time we don't need pounds and kroner.

Have you looked at air and hotel yet? I'll keep you informed if i find any deals. My email address is grannynurse@cox.net.

GN

Archived