St John's Scooter Rental

Jumbo70

She's not blind to what traffic is like on some of the islands. We've driven around St Thomas, but never driven around St John. I'll just buy her a new pair of sun glasses :p

I've read that there are alot of scooters on St John and I've always wanted to rent a scooter on vacation. I guess we'll just have to watch out for those taxi's.

I've read that there are alot of scooters on St John

You know, we were on St John for a week in June and I don't ever remember seeing a scooter but they must have been around otherwise being in the scooter business wouldn't make much sense.

I guess we'll just have to watch out for those taxi's.

And don't forget the vacationers!! Twice my husband pulled out on the wrong side of the road and both times a big truck was coming at us (once on St Thomas and once on St John) so I don't know who's worse, the taxi drivers who feel TOO comfortable on the roads or the vacationers who are used to driving on the opposite side of the road.:)

I had better not even have a drink with Lunch or else I'll be the knuckhead on the wrong side of the road. I picture it now...

Hey why is that dumb $#@& driving on the wrong side of the road. Hey I almost got hit. Ohh yea, they drive on the left here. My bad, oops...

That would be an ugly picture.

Jeanne, sounds like you strongly suggest we get a jeep.

Anyone else ever rent a scooter on St John?

Personally, I wouldn't rent a scooter on St John just because it's so mountainous and the roads are so curvy but hopefully someone responds to your post who's rented one before.

I've always wanted to rent a scooter also but St John wouldn't be my choice of islands to rent one, but that's just my opinion!! :)

Jumbo 70

Rent the scooter...you'll love it! First off...you have to prove to them that you can navigate the scooter around their parking lot. Secondly, St. Johns traffic is nowhere as bad as St. Thomas. I hadn't driven my motorcycle in 5 years and we had no problems. There are only 2 things to worry about...theres a curve going up hill just before Trunk Bay that was the hardest part of the driving. Just remember to keep your speed up and you'll be fine. We met a truck going into the curve (he was a little on my side), and I hit the brakes and didn't have enough umph to climb the hill. Had to go back down and come up it again...no problem second time. The other thing is watch out when you stop somewhere and then get back on the scooter to take off...your natural instinct is to get in the right hand lane...NOT GOOD!!

We used Beachscooters.com and they were great. We are going back this January and have already reserved a couple of scooters for then. We would drive till we saw a nice beach...stop and snorkel for a while...get back on and head off to another beautiful beach. Heres a link to show you a pic of the daring duo...by the way...no matter how cool you think you are ...the yellow helmets will take care of that!

http://family.webshots.com/photo/2642876390055736225eOBQWb

The rental place is about 3 blocks from the ferry drop off in Cruz Bay. Any questions...just let me know.

• 10 months later...

I completely agree with the above post.... Scooters are a blast there and there is only one semi tricky hill near Trunk Bay. I rented there last year and loved it... headed there again in 2 weeks so I was checking out the prices on the rentals and stumbled across this post so I registered just to reply :)

Do it.. have fun its a blast! :cool:

Hey just so you know the yellow helmets are smart ( just to wear one ) I live in a state that does not require helmets though and so I asked the owner if I had to wear one... his reply was you are supposed to but I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket for not wearing one... needless to say we did not wear ours... its smart to wear them I Know but its so hard for me since I never have to wear one at home to wear one there in the heat.. and yes.. the yellow helmets really do look gay lol.

I hope you guys enjoy your trip I will be staying there from the 27th until the 5th myself and am excited to be going back... its my favorite Island

Traffic is relatively light in St. John, based on driving around the island for three days last week. Granted it was off-season, and in April the traffic will be somewhat greater. I think you'll be fine as long as you stay on your side of the road. Most of the major roads outside of Cruz Bay are national park roads that are well maintained and have pull-offs at any significant overlook areas.

I would defiantly wear a helmet, because even a very low speed accident could kill you without one. This is coming from a guy whose life was saved by a helmet in a motorcycle accident 27-years ago that put me in the hospital for a week. A car pulled an illegal u-turn in front of me without yielding right of way. His insurance paid a fair settlement.

I wouldn't expect heat to be a significant issue, because you'll have the wind in your face, and most of the roads have significant shade from all the trees and foliage.

Archived