Questions about bringing Champagne onto the ship?

TheNewMrsGriffin

Hi! I'm brand new here, and I tried to make sure that this question hasn't been asked before, but there are so many posts, it's difficult to be sure. So, if I'm repeating an already-asked question, could you please point me in the direction of the thread that discusses this topic?

My *brand new* hubbie and I were married in October, and we're leaving for our 14-night cruise aboard the Crown Princess in less than two weeks. (Yay!) One of our favorite things to do at home (about once every coupla months), is to get a few bottles of Martini & Rossi Asti Spumante (cheapish, but yummy, sparkling wine), and get champagne-drunk while playing cards together.

Given that this is our honeymoon, and we will have a mini-suite, we would like to enjoy some Asti at least a few nights on our balcony after dinner. (Or, maybe even first thing in the morning! :p) Our ship offers Asti at $30/bottle, but we can get it in our grocery store for $8/bottle.

If we would like to enjoy multiple bottles, on multiple nights, would you suggest that we take the bottles of champagne with us in our checked baggage? (I believe our ship allows wine and champagne to be brought aboard and consumed on the ship). Or, is it too much of a hassle to do that? Even if we wrap them in bubble wrap and towels, will they get broken? Will they make our baggage too heavy? Would it just be A LOT easier for us to suck it up and pay the extra money to buy the bottles on the ship? Or, is there a way we could *easily* buy champagne in San Juan (where we're departing) before getting on the ship?

Any opinions/past experiences with this?

Thanx so much!

Shannon :D

Hello,

I will be a first time cruiser too, me and my Future Hubby will be sailing on the Caribbean Princess for our honeymoon in September. From what I've gathered from researching and reading specific threads on the boards Princess does in fact allow wine and champagne onboard the shipm however any alcohol will be confiscated. Although to my understanding, if you decide to take your champagne/wine into the dinning rooms, a corkage fee will apply.

I suggest that you post this question over on the Princess boards to get an idea of what is happening now regarding liquor confiscation. We have always taken wine in our shipped luggage and have had not problems with them taking it. I think my only concern would be the champagne issue, and having it in the luggage. I believe that cargo holds are all pressurized, so, I think it would be fine. If you are flying in the day before the cruise, you could always get some vino at that time.

Congrats on your wedding, and have a fabulous honeymoon!

Archived