How early can we check our bags at NYC pier?

FlyingScotSailors

I have read threads discussing what to do with luggage after the cruise, but have not found any about how early you can leave the bags at the pier before the cruise.

We will be sailing on the Noordam out of NYC next Wednesday. We will be arriving at the port before embarcation begins. Can we leave our luggage with the porters/longshoremen at 9 or 10 in the morning, and then leave and come back at 1 PM? This does not seem much different from arriving early, checking the bags, and then standing around waiting for embarcation to begin. Or do they make you hold your bags until some particular time before they will start to check them?

I don't know about NYC, but since no one else has taken a stab at answering your question yet, I'll tell you that we once got off a HAL "transfer" bus from an airport about 9:30a, and our tagged luggage was taken from us as it came out of the luggage compartment. We then had to wait about 1.5 hours before check-ins began. However, this was in Europe, and the rules for NYC may be totally different. :)

On Nov.4th we checked our bags in at around 945. They were taken right into the terminal. They started boarding around 11 and we were onboard by noon. I don't see why you couldnt check them in and then come back for your boarding. I noticed that by 1-130 there were basically no lines at all to board.

You should have no problem dropping off your luggage by 10:00 am. We left on the ms AMSTERDAM in late September and got to the pier a little before 10:00 am and the dock porter took our bags to bring on to the ship.

BON VOYAGE!!!

Hope you have a great cruise with calm seas!

Archived