Dress code question

travel with kids

I need clarification on the difference between casual and informal. I have the formal part down :). Thanks

From Celebrity's website FAQs:

A gentleman's choice for casual nights includes a sport shirt and slacks, while women will be comfortable in a pants suit, skirt and blouse, or casual dress.

On informal nights, men are requested to wear a jacket, shirt and tie, while women may want to wear a suit or dress.

For the formal nights, including the Captain's Welcome Aboard Cocktail Party, dinner on the second night, and the Captain's Farewell Dinner held the next-to-last night of the cruise; both men and women may prefer more dressy attire, such as an evening gown for women and a tuxedo or dress suit for men.

Celebrity Cruises has implemented a casual dining service on its five ships. Casual dining is offered most nights on every cruise, depending upon the itinerary, and is served in the Palm Springs Grill and pool area on the Mercury and at the Oasis Grill and pool area on the Galaxy. On the Zenith casual dining is offered in the Windsurf Cafe. On the Century casual dining is available in the Sky Bar. On our newest ships, casual dining is offered at the Seaside Grill and pool on the Constellation, the Oceanview Grill and pool area on the Infinity, the Ocean Grill on the Millennium and the Waterfall Grill on the Summit.

Travel with Kids,

You see what the website says from our friend C2C...basically think of Casual as the least dressiest, informal more dressy and formal as most dressy of all. Since your name suggests you may be cruising with kids, my boys wore tuxes for Formal night, shirt,tie and sportcoat (or sometimes just the shirt and tie) for Informal night and polo shirt and dockers for casual nights. Even though the name of the dress code is casual, I didn't see real casual clothes like shorts or jeans in the dining room in the evening....think of "resort casual"...sundresses, hawaiian shirts, golf shirts etc.

Have fun!

Lynne

Even though the name of the dress code is casual, I didn't see real casual clothes like shorts or jeans in the dining room in the evening....think of "resort casual"...sundresses, hawaiian shirts, golf shirts etc.

Shorts and jeans are not permitted in the dinning room in the evening

Shorts and jeans are not permitted in the dinning room in the evening

I wish! No waiter nor assistant maitre'd wants to put his tip on the line for enforcing this rule. It's as flexible as the do not BYOB on board rule;)

Or, from another view, they may well be putting more tips on the line if we have to endure their leniency.

It would be very interesting if some of us told them their tips were based on them delivering what they promised... a certain standard that they published... We know what the code is, now enforce it.. there is a place for those who wish to dine casually on non-casual nights.

Since your name suggests you may be cruising with kids,.....

actually, my "name" is from 2003 when we first starting cruising. After treating the kids to several cruises (all Disney), DH and I will be "Travel withOUT kids" this cruise to celebrate our 20th Wedding Anniversary.

Thanks for breaking down the X FAQs Dresscode.

oops..I was referring to the dress code...I couldn't care less what one should carry aboard:rolleyes:

Interesting how we accept "selected rule enforcement" depending on our wants and desires. If we are going to insist on enforcement in one area, then we should accept enforcement in all areas!

Interesting how we accept "selected rule enforcement" depending on our wants and desires. If we are going to insist on enforcement in one area, then we should accept enforcement in all areas!

What alcohol a passenger carries aboard in no way affects me, non-enforcement of the dress code policy can.

endymion6942

I am taking my two sons (9 & 13) fir a 11 nighter.

I am told that there 3 formal and 3 informal nights.

I am planning one tux each with 3 different,shirts and 3 different style vests each.

For the informal nights, Blue blazers with shirts and slacks.

On my most recent cruise (Hawai'i aboard GTS Infinity on 22 Oct 2006), I niticed a change in the specification of dress codes aboard Celebrity's ships. It now says that neckties are required for gentlemen on "informal" evenings. Apparently they resolved the inconsistency between the web site, the precruise information, and the shipboard information.

Norm.

I am taking my two sons (9 & 13) fir a 11 nighter.

I am told that there 3 formal and 3 informal nights.

I am planning one tux each with 3 different,shirts and 3 different style vests each.

For the informal nights, Blue blazers with shirts and slacks.

Your boys are going to look very nice! If they will tolerate it, I suggest a family portrait or two on the formal nights.

Lisa

Archived