Sea sick

ytinman

i was wondering how rough are the seas when sailing from London to Paris thru the channel? My wife gets sea sick easily, so would it not be a good idea to sail thru the channel? Would it be better just to sail around the Med. coast?

Thanks

I'm not really sure what you're asking -- are you planning on sailing yourself in some small ship?

Paris is pretty landlocked, so unless you're sailing up the Seine, you can't really sail from London to Paris (for that matter, you'd need to sail down the Thames to get from London to the sea).

If you're taking a cruise ship, "London" usually equals "Dover" or "Southhampton", and "Paris" usually equals "Normandy coast", so the sail from "London to Paris" is a very short one, right across the English Channel.

Going around Spain, and through the straits of Gibralter would take days longer . . . and you'd be at risk of very dicey seas en route.

The Channel can be bumpy or smooth, it all depends on the weather.

Sorry i didnt explain myself better. We are thinking of going on the "Sea Princess" out of Southampton at 5pm on the first day and don't get to our first port of call till 8 am on the third day, and even longer at the end of the cruise when we go from Gibraltar to Southampton which is 3 days! I am just worried that the sea may be rough on one or both of the ways.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hey Nightmare, you sound like you know your stuff, european cruise, and cruise line would you recommend? This would be my first time to europe and i would like to visit London, Paris, and Rome if possible. Price is not really a concern (hope to keep it under 6K per person but can be flexible) but i wouldn't want to cruise more than 14 days if possible. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Most cruises are under 14 days -- I personally wouldn't ask the proverbial "room full of strangers" (aka The Internet) what cruise I should take, our tastes might be way different.

I'd suggest you find a travel agent who specializes in cruising, spend a couple of hours with him/her (in person or over the phone), and let them recommend the best cruiseline, ship, and itinerary for you.

Then come here to Cruise Critic to get specific info about ships, ports, etc. This site is the best way to get answers to questions like that.

Good luck and happy cruising!

Archived