9A or 11 over 8B for the price difference? (Triumph)

last_mango

Here's a "what would you do?" question. We are booked on the Triumph for next May, currently in an 8B balcony cabin. Because of a recent raise, we are thinking about upgrading the room to have more space. We have cruised once before and were perfectly happy in a regular balcony cabin, but did stumble over each other a few times. My question is not really if the 9As or the suites are better (obviously they are!), but if they are good enough to justify the following price differences over the 8B. If they are, which will give us the most for our dollar?

9A: $800 (total) more than current reservation

Category 11: $1200 (total) more

Category 12: $2400 (total) more

I really don't see myself booking a penthouse suite, but there you have it. I am more interested if, in your opinion, the 9A or the 11 is the better deal.

Thanks!

Oh, also, does anyone know what the formal nights will be on the new Eastern itinerary for the Triumph?

Just IMHO! 9A has a much larger balcony (aft/corner), but the cabin is basically the same as a Cat. 8, tho' it is set up differently..! Cat. 11 is somewhat larger and has a seperate 'sitting' area, and a tub/shower/jacuzzi.. :) Neither to me are worth the price difference!:rolleyes:

We sailed on the Triumph several years ago, and I watched the prices and availability right up until sailing.. Approximately 3 weeks before the sailing, I was able to upgrade from a Cat 8D to a Cat. 11 suite for $50.00 per person..

If they have 'availability' to upgrade, they are very generous to fill the higher category cabins.. (the less expensive cabins are the easiest for them to sell close to 'cruisetime') :D Again, just IMHO..

I always take a cat 11 or 12 when I can get it at a great deal, but thats too big of a price difference... I would stick where you are and maybe spend more money on the cruise in the spa getting a massage or some thing... Also dont forget Cat 11 and Cat 12 will give you "Skippers Club" priority boarding which may or may not be great.. some times we have arrived when the line was practically non existant so it really didnt matter which we had... but a couple of times its made a HUGE difference (once we arrived an hour before official boarding time and there was literally over 500 people in line and we were the first people with Skippers Club and we got to walk past (with nasty looks mind you) the entire line and get right to the front)...

Im all for Cat 11 or 12... but thats a big price jump... its definately great, its a great way to cruise... but its such a big difference that id say a second cruise would be a better deal!!

Thanks for the input, I was thinking it sounded like a lot of money as well. Great idea to wait and see if there is a price drop, I'm going to check back after the final payment is due and see if we can get a last minute deal on a Cat. 11.

I wish I could put the money towards another cruise as well, but this one will be it probably until 2009.

...as Serene said, the corner wrap is the best deal, I would prefer that over a Cat 11 on even pricing.

If you have lots of money do it, if you have other things to spend money on, don't. Would not be worth it to me.

I wish I could put the money towards another cruise as well, but this one will be it probably until 2009.

shudder !! I cant imagine waiting that long to go on another cruise. Thats like a lifetime...:D

Guess we should feel pretty lucky. We just upgraded from an 8A to a 9A (cabin 7322) on the Destiny for $450 total. With 3 of us in the cabin, it came out to $150 each. We keep reading about how great the corner aft cabins are so we thought with that price we would give one a try.

I'm with Serene and Dood - the 9A wrapround balcony is DEFinitely worth it. The others, not so much... That balcony is big enough for real deck chairs, and has just amazing views... But, they go fast, so am not sure a wrap would still be available. They realized what they had with wraps on the Spirit class, and made them Cat 11's but the 9A balconies on your class ship are just as good, for a lot less money

Archived