Help with strapless gown

last_mango

Hi all, I have a few questions about how a strapless gown is supposed to fit and feel. I have never ever taken advantage of an opportunity to wear a formal gown before and have never worn anything strapless. Recently I scored the dress below on ebay for $10 (brand new, with the tags!) so I want to go all out for this cruise.

- Does the dress need to be fairly tight around the waist to keep the top from sliding down? My dress came with a belt inside it. Is it necessary to use this? If so, should it be worn comfortably or pulled tight? Tight seems to feel more secure to me, but is obviously more uncomfortable (I am very thick-waisted). I feel like if I wore the dress the way I would wear any other dress, it would fall right down.

- How snug should the top be? Should there be wiggle room up there, or does it need to be a really close fit?

- What sort of bra/support is appropriate? The dress has "boning" and I am an A cup. I think I can get away with nothing at all, but that feels kind of strange.

- Lastly, what about the length? With 1" heels the dress touches the floor...should there be a little bit of space between the dress and the ground?

Thanks for your help, I feel so silly being 26 years old and having to ask these questions!

s06_F1286_victorianlilaclilac.jpg

Hi! Well I def. think that that tighter would prob. mean more secure but you don't want to be so uncomfortable you can't move or bend. I've never seen anyone use the belt before but if the dress doesn't fit your waist snug on it's own you may want to. As for the bra there are some good strapless bras that stay fit, such as the Wonderbra its siding has material on it to help prevent slipping. If it makes you more comfortable to wear one I would. And for the floor length, the dress should barely just not touch at all. You don't want to see the stem of your heel when looking at you from behind though and you def. don't want it touching the floor because then you or others will step on it. So I'd say if you're shoes aren't visible from the back you're in good shape. To really see if the dress will stay put I'd put it on w/the belt then w/out and w/the bra and then without and walk and dance and test it out. If you dance in your room and your top falls then you'll know you need to make some changes.

Kudos on deciding to dress up and look fancy ! We don't do enough of that! You will look and feel special!

if you're an A cup, I wouldn't bother with a bra - you could add cups to the interiorlining if it is uncomfortable withut anything, but you really won't need anything if the dress fits.

wear a 1 1/2" shoe so that you can easily walk around withut catching the dress. I find that if I let it drag on the floor, besides getting dirty and ragged, I tend to hang onto the side and lift it slightly whenever I walk anyway so I don't trip..

I also would advise trying it both ways (with/without belt) and do a little dance, move around a bit to see how it feels - after a few minutes of movement you should not feel any different than in a regular dress.

you can also buy "invisible" straps if the idea of having nothing but the eyes of all the guys in the room holdin up your dress...

I keep gown hems about 1" to 1.5" off the floor (as recommended by a bridal salon seamstress). That keeps hem area cleaner and out from under your own feet most of the time when on flat ground.

The top (neckline) of the gown and the hip should be fitted closely. The waist of the gown should be a bit loose to allow you freedom of movement. I've never had a belt inside a gown, but imagine that you'd want it comfortably tight.

With a A-cup I think I'd be fine without a bra. If you want something, you could look for the stick-on cups that will give you a bit of support and coverage. I think they run about $5 per set. My sister has worn them several times and found them less hassle then a strapless bra.

I like your gown, BTW!

Try it on without the belt and hop up and down as fast as you would to a music beat, if the dress stays fine you don't need the belt. If it dos move, try the belt at different tightness' to determine best comfort and support.

If you are comfortable without the bra then don't wear one, it's all about how you look and feel.

Thanks for the help, ladies. I put the dress on and danced around a lot...the top really does need to be taken in and have bra cups added, and I probably need to lose a pound or two around the waist. The length is actually good with 1.5" heels. I will head to the alterations place closer to the cruise to get this fixed. :D

Beautiful gown and a what a terrific deal!

I recently met a lady who is a wedding planner. She recommends to all her customers (brides and party) who wear strapless to sew elastic inside at the top under each arm. She said it eliminates the urge to constantly “push” the dress up. It sounds like it would work.

LastM,

I would make sure the hem is well off the floor, but not so much that it's noticeable. I wouldn't like to picture you stepping on the hem and then having the dress pull down. Yikes. In Hollywood they always talk about double sided tape. If you had a part of the top that is questionable as to whether it will stay in place or not, then use this tape. I would think it hurts to come off, but you won't be embarassed at least.

I'm not comfortable with a strapless dress. What should I do?

from

http://www.bridalaccentscouture.com/faq.htm#Strapless

It's not that women don't instinctively know the hazards -- the too-stiff bodice, the tugging, the back fat -- but they cling to the fantasy that it will work out anyway

from

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/06/18/CMG06IV4391.DTL

I will give you the benefit of what I learned from very expensive alterations on my mother of the bride gown. I am also small on top so the ladies told me to use the stick on cups. I came to the fittings with a strapless bra but it kept sliding. The dress was well lined so the stick on cups worked great. They also sewed in thin straps that I could pull up if I needed during the reception-which I did. My gown fit me perfectly but I was still glad that I had those straps sewed in. Your dress should not feel so tight that you can't breathe. Your dress is beautiful and so perfect for your cruise. You will be very glad that you bought it.

I will head to the alterations place closer to the cruise to get this fixed. :D

Alison - Try to allow at least a month for your alterations, especially since your cruise is in May - primetime prom/wedding season. The alterations shop is sure to be really busy then! You want to give the seamstress plenty of time to do the job right. She may want to keep the dress for a few weeks to work the alterations into her schedule.

Really pretty dress. I just love eBay - great deal! 026.gif

If you are worried about it creeping down there are little sticky things that you can put around the top to keep it in place.

Cleverly she was using a double-sided sticky toupee tape for securing her evening gown.

from

http://www.mhrw.com/fashion_tape.html

How keep my strapless gown from slipping?

from

http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=54861

Guest rfrenchbaxter

I have used the double sided tape before! It works wonders! Most models use it to keep swim suit bottoms in place. Even a strapless bra would help fill out those needed places.

I bought my first strapless as well. I bought it on ebay as well and it was a "custom fit" which meant I gave my measurements, they made the dress and sent it. Well the length and the waist/hips are perfect, but the top is a little big, or else gravity took over while I was waiting for the dress to come!

I don't think it would actually fall down, but I'm pretty certain I could fall OUT. Hubby says it looks like I could store my meal down there! <blush> So I'm going to have to either get it taken in a bit, or maybe as someone suggested a bit of elastic under the arm pits to pull it in. I'll see what the alterationist says. Too bad since it was so close!

Now what I didn't realize when I bought the dress, was that the back has what I would call a small chapel train on it. From what others have said about it getting dirty, should I maybe ask the alterationist to lop that off and make it an even hem all the way around? The dress is black so that might be of help. What I am really worried about is stepping back on it, especially if we're dancing, and then winding up on my butt from falling.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Kim

Hi all, I have a few questions about how a strapless gown is supposed to fit and feel. I have never ever taken advantage of an opportunity to wear a formal gown before and have never worn anything strapless. Recently I scored the dress below on ebay for $10 (brand new, with the tags!) so I want to go all out for this cruise.

- Does the dress need to be fairly tight around the waist to keep the top from sliding down? My dress came with a belt inside it. Is it necessary to use this? If so, should it be worn comfortably or pulled tight? Tight seems to feel more secure to me, but is obviously more uncomfortable (I am very thick-waisted). I feel like if I wore the dress the way I would wear any other dress, it would fall right down.

- How snug should the top be? Should there be wiggle room up there, or does it need to be a really close fit?

- What sort of bra/support is appropriate? The dress has "boning" and I am an A cup. I think I can get away with nothing at all, but that feels kind of strange.

- Lastly, what about the length? With 1" heels the dress touches the floor...should there be a little bit of space between the dress and the ground?

Thanks for your help, I feel so silly being 26 years old and having to ask these questions!

Hi....

Just want to say that the gown is absolutely beautiful!!! I love it. Very classy and elegant and to get it for $10 is an absolute steal!!! I wore strapless gowns to both my son's Bar Mitzvahs and the bodice should be fairly tight but not to the point where you can't breath. You could go to a seamstress and have them put cups into the dress. I personally prefer to wear a strapless bra even though I hate those things.

As for the belt...don't know if you need it or not. Did it come with that wrap like shown in the picture? Both my dresses had wraps like that and looked really nice.

The bottom of the dress should come to the tip of the shoe and not hit the floor. Otherwise you will be tripping over it and it will get caught in your heel. There has to be some space in between.

Enjoy and have a wonderful time. You will look like a million bucks in that dress. :D

Hi....

Just want to say that the gown is absolutely beautiful!!! I love it. Very classy and elegant and to get it for $10 is an absolute steal!!! I wore strapless gowns to both my son's Bar Mitzvahs and the bodice should be fairly tight but not to the point where you can't breath. You could go to a seamstress and have them put cups into the dress. I personally prefer to wear a strapless bra even though I hate those things.

As for the belt...don't know if you need it or not. Did it come with that wrap like shown in the picture? Both my dresses had wraps like that and looked really nice.

The bottom of the dress should come to the tip of the shoe and not hit the floor. Otherwise you will be tripping over it and it will get caught in your heel. There has to be some space in between.

Enjoy and have a wonderful time. You will look like a million bucks in that dress. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Last Mango,

Your dress looks beautiful, as to the question of the belt inside - I have Alyce strapless gowns that have the same belt, it is to help keep the dress in place and I usually hook mine so that it feels comfortable (not too tight).

As suggested you might want to have added strapless cups inside the bra, rather than a strapless one (they tend to move around more), that way you will feel more confident.

Enjoy your dress it is a real bargain...

Archived