Satellite Phones

lanajoy3

I need to know which Satellite phone I should buy or rent, preferably rent. It has to be for an ALASKAN cruise (nothing else) that will definitely work out to sea. I need to contact my business by phone, personally, not e-mail. Also, if I do rent a phone, is my permitted charge worth it, or should just use the ship's phone at their rate (at $8 per minute on HAL). While at port, I could use a regular phone with a phone card.

I am concerned about out to sea (aka in the middle of no where).

Desparately need an answer soon! Thanx.

You have a few choices-

1) bring your cell from home. It will work some of the time. Call your carrier and find out what kind of coverage they have.

2) Use the ships phone in a pinch when their is no coverage.

3) RENT a satellite phone. We did last summer for Tahiti. It is one big thing ! And at times you will need to be up and out on deck to get a signal (not the most comfy place in Alaska).

DO a google search and you will find options on rentals.

lana-I used a satellite phone last year for an Alaska cruise, it is a Motorola, that our firm purchased, since two of the principals were going to be on the same cruise. It worked like a champ! They are much larger than cell phones and you will need an unobstructed "view" to the satellites, ie. it won't work inside the steel structure of the ship. When I had to use it, I went outside aft, either on the Lido or Verandah or Nav Deck and it worked fine. Also, the rate is much cheaper than using the ship phone but you need to figure the cost of the lease as well. Since we purchased ours with a 120 minute card, it was a sunk cost for the firm. I forget where we got the phone, but I do remember the company was in Huntsville, Alabama. I found them by doing a Google search, as suggested above.

My cell phone (Verizon) worked in all but one port, but I forget which one it was.

Archived