Cell Phones on the Grand

ancryan

I'm traveling the grand in 2 weeks and wondering about the use of my cell phone. 3 questions:

1. What companies does Princess support? (verizon, cingular, etc)

2. What is the cost per minute?

3. How good is the coverage?

Thanks!

When I cruised out of Southhampton to various Westerm European ports I used an opened T Mobile phone with a Passport SIM card http://www.telestial.com/view_product.php?PRODUCT_ID=MSIM-PP01 and talked to my family from the Princess dining room during dinner and from my cabin balcony. Passengers and staff in the dining didn't appear to mind in any way, mainly because Princess dining rooms tend to be a little noisy anyway. My calls were way cheaper, like about fifty cents a minute, than the $2.49 per minute that my daugher got charged by Sprint for cell phone use on an RCCL cell equiped ship. There is no need for my opened T-Mobile phone during my upcoming South America cruise as Sprint PCS should work just fine there, when in port and within eyesight of shore.

P.S. I have found that you can sometimes get Cell phone coverage on Princess when the shore is beyond the horizon. Also you can often find cell phone coverage in some of the most remote, no where places during your cruise.

Archived