Bannister Island or Caye Caulker?

beckym

Hello all! My first-ever post and question on CC..

Any recommendations on which is preferable? Prefer (of course!!) a lovely sand beach and if possible, easy (inexperienced) snorkeling from shore. At either or both Caye Caulker and Bannister Island, can you wade into the water (no grass or rocks)? Clean beaches? OK beach bar food?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I've spent some time (non-cruise related) on Caye Caulker and it's a great little island. Nice and quiet, relaxed. Good food and cold beverages. Snorkel from the shore but better to take one of the tours out to the Blue Hole. Stop by Popeyes for a cold one and tell him "The Archaeologist" says hi ;)

Hola,

We spent a day at Bannister. It is absolutely gorgeous. The island is small, only a few acres, but it has food, drink, a beautiful beach and lots of chairs. You can snorkel off of the beach or take a boat out to the reef. Trip runs about $45, haggling helps, (I heard some people say that they paid $38.) You can book at the tender pier through FAB Tours.

Archeologistman and Clackey, thank you both for taking the time to give your thoughts.

Sounds like both places have the kind of beach and pace that we want. Two of our group love "poking around" in little shops, and as there are more of those on Caye Caulker, I suspect that's where we'll end up for "apres swim" actvities.

If so, will def'lly give 'em your regards at the bar, Archeologist!

We did Bannister Island in March, and we enjoyed it. Nice beach, lounge chairs, pretty good food (we had chicken strips and they were tasty), clean restrooms, nice swimming area.

In researching whether to do Caye Caulker or Bannister before our cruise, it seems like the better snorkeling is on Caye Caulker. There were people snorkeling at Bannister, but I don't think there are many fish to see there.

Good luck, and enjoy your cruise!

Oh, and WELCOME to Cruise Critic! :)

Thank you for the welcome and the advice, Mom of Zeke Sue!!! Happy New Year! Still trying to decide. The cruise (Valor)isn't til early May so there are a few months to mull it over!!

Thanks again to all. Happy New Year and Happy Cruising!

Sue, just read your Miracle review which was very interesting and informative. Valor goes to most of those ports. I've alredy contacted David and Ian for Chacchoben Ruins.

Glad you enjoyed the review, becky. You will have a great time with David & Ivan. They do a very nice job. Have fun on your cruise! :)

Thank you for the welcome and the advice, Mom of Zeke Sue!!! Happy New Year! Still trying to decide. The cruise (Valor)isn't til early May so there are a few months to mull it over!!

Thanks again to all. Happy New Year and Happy Cruising!

I think we are going to do Caye on the Valour in 2 weeks so if I remember, I'll come back here and let you know how it was.

Hi,

We're considering day tripping to Caye caulker and going snorkelling with a tour based in Caye Caulker.

our ship is tendered 9am-5pm CST. Is it better to book an excursion from the pier or take the water taxi to Caye Caulker and take an excursion from there?

Thanks

I was slightly disapointed by Bannister so I just wanted to add my experiences. It is a beautiful little island with a decent restroom and bar. The beach was pretty nice, but the sand was full of tiny shells not completely ground to sand consistency so it was very hard on the feet. I wore my sandals even into the water. There were also quite a few rocks to step over to get into the water in some areas of the beach. Also the water was not very clear or deep. We waded up to our waists and it seemed that was as far as we could go, we could not see the bottom even when only in up to our knees. As my geologist sister-in-law put it, it is a "high energy" beach. Beautiful, but geologically active. We enjoyed the relaxation with beautiful scenery, but wanted to warn anyone expecting a perfect sand beach. If all you want is to lie on a chaise drinking an good margarita with the palm trees swaying over you (and who doesn't like that?!), you will be happy. Maybe I am spoiled by my vacation to Punta Cana (perfect sand and clear water) and our experiences in Cozumel (the clearest water I have ever seen).

Hi,

We're considering day tripping to Caye caulker and going snorkelling with a tour based in Caye Caulker.

our ship is tendered 9am-5pm CST. Is it better to book an excursion from the pier or take the water taxi to Caye Caulker and take an excursion from there?

Thanks

The water taxi is very scheduled - just like a bus service. My group and I took the water taxi to Caye Caulker last month while on the Grand Princess. We were there from 8:00 to 5:00. The water taxi is outside the port area. You have about a 10-15 minute walk from where the tender drops you off. We took the 9:30 a.m. water taxi to Caye Caulker and the 1:30 back to Belize City. I wanted to take the 3:00 and look around the island after our snorkel tour, however others in our party wanted to get back. They were afraid to miss the ship. I'll warn you, it's a pretty bumpy high speed ride. It wasn't as bumpy on the way back - maybe because of the current? Also, when you're snorkeling, the current is on the strong side. The sting rays and nurse sharks were quite a sight to see though.

Have fun!

Thanks to all for feedback. Hope to read more reviews as folks return (e.g "me&thekids". Bermuder, thank you foir the descrition. I too am spoiled, having experienced the magnificent clear warm gentle waters at St John's (USVI) beaches.

Archived