Sailing out of New York

mared1

We have always sailed out of Florida, but now my husband wants to sail out of New York on NCL Gem(?) in Jan. of 2008. I just think the first 2 days at sea would be too cold to be out on deck sunning - I would welcome anyones input who has sailed out of New York in the winter. Thanks in advance.

We love to sail out of NY because we live so close to NYC. IT saves us the airfare and it's convenient. We also can work half days on the days the ship leaves and arrives.

As far as the sunning goes though, in January you won't be able to sun for two days in each direction. The winters here are rather cold, and December-February is the coldest we get.

We sailed the Spirit out of NY in November (THanksgiving week) and the first days in either direction the decks were empty. We started seeing people out and about on the afternoon of the second day, but again, that was November and January is generally cooler.

If you're looking to maximize your time in the sun, I'd leave from FL hands down.

We have always sailed out of Florida, but now my husband wants to sail out of New York on NCL Gem(?) in Jan. of 2008. I just think the first 2 days at sea would be too cold to be out on deck sunning - I would welcome anyones input who has sailed out of New York in the winter. Thanks in advance.

I love sailing out of NYC in the dead of winter! We did so last February--by the afternoon of the first full sea day, it was pleasant outside. Maybe not bathing suit weather, but tee-shirt weather. By sea day #2 it'll be warm enough to get in that swim suit and sit in the sun if you so desire.

Enjoy!

Weather can change from day to day, week to week and sailing to sailing. You might experience unusally warm weather and calm seas in jan or storms and rough seas. We just returned from the Spirit sailing Dec 21 - Jan 2. On the first sea day Dec 22 we were out in shorts & tees shirts, definite bathing suits and sunning on Dec 23. On the way back we were in bathing suits and sunning Jan 1. By the evening of Jan 1 once the sun had set and we had sailed further north temp did drop off considerably. I realize that your sailing is Jan and could be colder than what we experienced.

I live in NYC so the attraction of taking a taxi instead of an airplane to the cruise terminal is pretty compelling!

If I had to get on a plane regardless, I'd probably choose to fly somewhere warm and start my cruise from there. However, if you're planning to extend your vacation in NYC (either visiting family/friends or just a few days vacation) then that'd be an overriding reason.

I'm cruising out of NYC in a few weeks myself, and am preparing to spend the first and last days of the trip somewhere other than the outdoor pool!

I've lived in Connecticut my whole life. Sailing out of NYC in January is not something I would choose to do. IN GENERAL (there are ALWAYS exceptions...such as this winter!) it is VERY COLD here in January...I can only imagine being on the water would be worse. As a matter of fact, my travel agent and friend does not recommend sailing in the northern Atlantic during the winter season...not only are you MOST LIKELY stuck inside for a day or so, but Atlantic waters tend to be rough even in the calm season - I assume it could be worse during the winter months. Two years ago we sailed out of Bayonne, NJ to Bermuda during Memorial Day weekend, and even then we needed jackets and long pants on the day we left. Of course by the next morning we were met by glorious sunshine and the bluest of waters.....Good luck, whatever you decide! :)

• 1 year later...

We did it last January (23 to Feb 2 2007) Loved It. The first day of sailing as not warm but enough to stay outside and play cards. The second day was awesome. Very warm. On the way back though, sea was rough and we coud not even go outside. I would not do it again, but I am glad I did it once.

Archived