Aruba Mini Review

digital_curator

We sailed to Aruba on RCI's Explorer as part of a repositioning cruise in November 06. DH and I are in our mid 30's, with no kids.

We liked Aruba but wouldn't go back for a land-based vacation. It's too much like a permanent spring-break atmosphere. We preferered the quieter (and less commercial) Curacao. Too many fast food restaurants and time-shares for us...

We had pre-booked a morning tour with Kini Kini tours (9-1, $35 pp) We didn't want to do the jeeps and wanted a small bus tour. Our driver was a little late picking us up at the dock (it was very crowded) but she gave us great news- we were the only ones who booked so it was essentially a private tour! Our driver says this happens a lot so if you are looking for a private tour in mini-van with a/c you might want to check them out.

We went passed the resort area, to the golf course, then stopped for photos at the lighthouse, the church, on the coast, the natural bridge, the aloe farm (didn't go in), ayo rock formations, and then stopped at the donkey sanctuary. Our guide was very informative and because we were alone, we could essentially call the shots.

She gave us the choice of heading back to town or the ship. We went back to the ship and then headed downtown to do some shopping (didn't buy anything). Then we took a cab to the resort area to the dock for the Mi Dushi (again pre-booked $22.50 pp) Sunset and Happy Hour Cruise. They had had a problem with our credit card but luckilly we had brought another one with us. The boat is lovely and the crew is very friendly. There was a nice variety of drinks available but I found them a little weak (not complaining- it was open bar). We sailed along the coast and then back. Unfortunately it was a little hazy, so no real sunset. Also, we stopped to do the rope swing after dark and I'm not thrilled with jumping into water I don't know after dark, so I didn't do it, but it looked fun. Next time I think I would do a snorkelling trip instead.

Note- the taxi drivers were very careful on the way back to make sure we didn't have wet bathing suits on.

If we headed out to the resort area again, we would take the bus- easy and cheap (though the cab was $10 each way).

We didn't go out at night but we could hear all the clubs from the ships and they were rockin'!

Hope this helps when planning your trip.

Cheers,

Just a tip on your credit card problem for future reference. I tell all of my clients to call the card issuer and let them know ahead of time they are going overseas and to what area as it is now becoming common security practice to ok one charge then stop as they are unsure if the card is stolen and you obviously are not home to verify it is not!

Happy Sailings!

Dale:)

Archived