Driving from Vancouver to Seattle... have you done it??

We'll be driving from Vancouver to Seattle in August, on a Wednesday. Would love to hear from those that have done the drive. We'll leave about 9 am. About how long does the drive take and how long a wait can we expect at the border. I printed out mapquest directions from the Pan Pacific Hotel in Vancouver (where we're staying) to the Sheraton Hotel and Towers in Seattle (where we're going to). Is there another way to get to the border if we tune in the radio and find there's an unusually long wait at the border? Thanks for the help...

Sandy

It's about a 3 hour drive from Seattle to Vancouver. The main border crossing is called Peace Arch and It can get backed up, particularly on the weekends. An alternate route is called Pacific Highway or PAC Highway.
It is the truck crossing and usually doesn't get as busy. This is about 10 miles before Peach Arch. If you tune in AM Radio 1130 (All News) they have traffic reports every 10 minutes at 1 minute 11 minutes 21 minutes etc after the hour.

Julie

Zuiderdam 07/04
Maasdam 08/02

• 1 month later...
If you are driving south to Seattle from Vancouver, make sure you carefully follow the speed limit signs. The limit changes several times and it is very easy to miss a speed reduction despite the signs. The police are very stringent in stopping speeders!

Deb

--
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;9;18;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Free Cruise - Victory, Sep. 18, 2004

[url="http://members.shaw.ca/vorpalbunnies/celebration/"]Click for Carnival Celebration - Apr. 10, 2004 trip report[/url]

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't done it but I plan on doing it in July but taking the opposite route. We're a family of 7 driving from Seattle to Vancouver, and then driving back in 4 days to Seattle in order to catch a flight out of Seattle going to Miami. Can't wait for the drive, sounds interesting. I heard that it takes about 3-4 hours.

Yes the drive from Vancouver to Seattle is 3 - 4 hours depending on traffic at the border. The main highway I-5 which is #99 here in Canada takes you thru the Peach Arch Border Crossing. Listen to 1130 on your dial on the radio for the traffic news and they will tell you the border waits (every 10 minutes) If the Peach Arch is a long wait go to the truck crossing (only about 2 miles over)

On the Canadian side to get to the truck crossing take the last exit off #99 before the border - 8th Avenue exit and follow 8th Avenue east to 176th Street (which is also highway #15) herre you turn left and go straight to the border. Once thru the border continue straight and this road / street will dump you right back onto the I-5 after about 10 blocks.

When heading north to Canada to get to the truck crossing follow the signs and exit the I-5 for the "Truck Crossing" - last exit before the border. Again once off the I-5 just drive strait up that road and you will end up at the Canadian Border. Once thru the border drive 8 blocks to 8th Avenue and turn left - once on 8th Avenue drive to the #99 highway (about 10 blocks) and continue on your route to Vancouver.

Hoped this helped

Ann

• 3 weeks later...

Archived