Randi's Happy Horses

cellotaxi

We have reservations with Randi's Happy Horses in Mazatlan . How easy is it to get to the terminal from the ship? Is there a charge for the shuttle? How do you get to the front of the line to disembark when the tour is not through the ship? Anyone encounter problems getting to her or getting back? Can we pack a lunch off the ship or do we have to buy it on the beach? Lots of questions....24 days to go!

Cello,

When you get off the gangplank, you will get on a tram that will take you the block or two to the terminal. Once you get off at the terminal, you will go thru a bunch of stores and then there are lots of vendor booths. Randi or her crew will be waiting for you there with a pink Randi sign. She will get you all together, then get you in pickup truck taxis to the water. There you wil take little water taxis over to Stone Island. Then you get in a trailer or truck to get to the horses at Tony's place. Whatever you don't want to carry on your horse, they will take on ahead to Victor's restuarant where your ride will end. I guess you could take a lunch and eat on the beach. The restuarant was fairly cheap for grilled shrimp, beer and other items. After lunch, you will reverse the transp to get back to ship or let her know you would like to go to Gold Zone for shopping. Then you will have to take your own taxi from there back to ship. Good luck on trip. We are going in Feb and hope to see Randi, if she ever emails me back!!!

We worried, the first time we rode with Randi, about getting off the ship in time. Just be in line to disembark early and you will be fine. John answered the other questions you had. I would not bother with taking a lunch - Victor's is so reasonable and so good - from huge plates of food to just chips with salsa and guacomole (the best guacomole). Have a great time. John, I wrote to Randi to see if she has sent a response to you - will let you know what she says. She is always so prompt at responding but sometimes peoples computers put it into spam or something else.

The tram to the terminal is the only way you can get there - this is a working dock and they don't want people walking around there. There is no charge but we would tip. We used American dollars everywhere - once we got change in Pescos but just once. Victors did not take credit cards when we were there - don't know if things have changed since then. Take small bills ($5.00) as it is hard for them to change large bills. Have a great time - you will love it.

We did Randi's one year ago. The only problem is....I've been suffering ever since. Before Randi's, I had not rode on a horse in 20 years. I'm 42, athletic, great health, no medical problems, never an ache or pain, etc. We got on the horses with no instruction or saddle adjustment. The guy in charge slapped my horse and yelled "andele". He made my horse run/gallop (not a good gait) for about 2 hours. I almost seriously fell off once (think Chris Reeve) and my horse would not let any other horses pass him...bit them, reared, etc. The guy in charge even punched my horse in the face because the horse was so mean. I made it back alive so I was happy.

Next morning, my butt is swollen and I have 3 herniated lumbar discs. Looking at needles and/or surgery now.

Morriscats,

We finally heard from Randi yesterday. Don't know what the problem was, she got the 3rd or 4th I sent. I don't think I have a spam file with Outlook Express? If so, I don't know where it is. I have bee fighting with latest Norton Systemswork update for a couple of months, and getting ready to scrap it!!!

Thanks for the help.

Trying to see if Randi and us can get together for an afternoon ride but not clear yet what she is saying. I will know more soon and will let others know that might be interested in our date on Feb 8th.

CocoKai--thats quite a story. Sorry to hear of the problem. When I get my horse, I make sure the sturips etc fit and let the horse know who is in charge. Our horses weren't all that interested in going fast. I have a lower back problem and had not ridden in 20+ years either but had no soreness at all from our last trip.

My husband and I rode with Randi last Oct. We were a little nervous when we first met Randi, she had a horrible cough and she definately has a rough personality, but we were used to it by lunch at Victor's. The water taxi also made us a little nervous because it sat so low, was so full, and wouldn't start for several tries. Then the home where we loaded onto our horses was a little shakey as well, but the horse ride well worth all the nervousness preceeding it. It was a small group for us, so we went a longer and even rode through the coconut groves where I got the best pictures from our trip. So, if you look past the beginning, the actual horseback riding is well worth it. Tony, our guide was fabulous.

I thought the whole maze of transportation to Stone Island was a nice part of the tour. Shows you how most of the other people live. I especially liked the Mexican Navy!

I agree! I often tell my friends that I recommend to Randi that this day is for the traveler, not the tourist. It is not a resort ride by any means. But we like to learn about the places that we visit and not just see the resorts, etc. You see a bit of real Mexico on this trip. I just emailed Randi that we are coming back and will be booking her for the 3rd time. I can't wait to give my daughter the opportunity to experience it.

After doing the City Tour the first time in Mazatlan I vowed never again to get off the ship there. Then I read about Randi's. We had our kids and grandkids with us the first time we rode with her and the grandkids still talk about all they saw there. They learned that not everywhere children depend of TV's or Game Boys. At first I felt a little sorry for the way they live there but they are happy! We drove, in the tractor pulled trailer, past a school where all the kids were in uniforms. Everyone waved and said Hi. I don't know that I would like people coming to my house 3 times a week (when Randi has her tours) but everyone is very friendly and helpful. It's a different lifestyle and Randi, being from No. CA has adapted quite well. She is a "self described hoot" and you will leave this tour feeling you have just made a new friend.

We've ridden with Randi several times. If you don't want to see real Mexico, stay with the van's or the ship sponsered excursions.

This is not for everybody but I can guarentee that you get instructions. Maybe you were not listening. Not only Randi but her head guide Tony tell you how to ride the horse and if you do not want to go fast all you have to do is say NO. That is universal, and one of her guides will stay with you.

We had some people come in to the stop point about 10 minutes after the main people.

I had my sturrips adjusted 2 times because they said that they were fine and I thought I wanted them shorter so shorten them up they did. Then I found out they were correct in the first place and they put them back down for me.

Randi and team care for the horses, their well being as well as the riders.

Anybody that thinks they are skinny, think again. Anybody here will tell you they are in good condition.

Rusic is not the word for the Island and Randi on the little boat told us that. Being judgemental is just not fair. Stay with the ships excursions because as mentioned above Randi's is not for tourists, it is for travelers that want to see something different and get a tast of "real" Mexico.

Have a great cruise all,

Dorothy

Mandi,

I would suggest not wearing jeans. Sometimes the horses take a little stroll through the surf (not too far in) and you would be wearing wet jeans. I wore capris and my kids and grandkids wore shorts with sandals that don't fall off your feet. You can put your beach towel over the sadle for extra protection if you want. Our kids also wore their swim suits under their clothes. You will love this tour.

Archived