HAL excursion advice

jetfixer03

I'm posting this here since I'm planning on booking excursions with HAL. To be honest with you I don't have the time or energy to research independant excursions, taking the easy and safe way out! We'd like to do one snorkling excursion, and it looks like there are three to choose from that still have morning openings....looking for opinions/experience between the three.

Virgin Island Sailaway, Tortola

Champagne Cat Sail, St. Thomas

Turtle Cove Sail and Snorkle, St. Thomas

I'm thinking I'd like to steer away from one that would involve a real Trek to get to..not into an hour on a bus. Also, the comfort of the sail/cruise part of it would be a factor. Just from what I can read on the HAL site, the Tortola one sounded cool. I'd love to hear any opinions or advice!!

Thanks all,

Chris J

:)

None of the excursions you mentioned would have an hour's bus ride.

In St Thomas, almost all the dive vessals (and beach tours) come right to Havensight to pick up the passengers. We have seen lots of them come and go from that area. Very rarely do these tours go from another area.

:)

Virgin Island Sailaway, Tortola

Champagne Cat Sail, St. Thomas

Turtle Cove Sail and Snorkle, St. Thomas

I'm thinking I'd like to steer away from one that would involve a real Trek to get to..not into an hour on a bus. Also, the comfort of the sail/cruise part of it would be a factor. Just from what I can read on the HAL site, the Tortola one sounded cool. I'd love to hear any opinions or advice!!

Chris J

The Champagne Cat is an excellent boat trip. Good crew and not crowded (likely due to the $79 p/p tariff). The waters were rough the day we were there so the snorkeling was poor, but the boat trip was pleasant and scenic. We were transported by minibus to the boat dock on the other side of the island. It was, as I recall, ~20-30 minute ride.

I haven't yet been to Tortola, but I've been visiting the Caribbean "Ports of Call" board for referrals. There are a number of recommendations for Patouche Charters.

http://www.patouche.com/index.html

Archived