Punta Arenas tours

sunnysfla

Has anyone used Turismo Nuevo Mundo for different tours in different ports? They have a flightseeing out of PUnta Arenas that sounds amazing - has anyone done it or know anything about it? Or know of any alternate tour companies with something similar?

Has anyone used Turismo Nuevo Mundo for different tours in different ports? They have a flightseeing out of PUnta Arenas that sounds amazing - has anyone done it or know anything about it? Or know of any alternate tour companies with something similar?

IF you are referring to the Antarctica flyover:

One of the most cancelled shore excursions in the cruising world. If you read the description from Turismo Nuevo, you do NOT get your money back. They take you on an alternate tour-something that is NOT worth the money you will pay to go to Antarctica. IF you REALLY want to flight see over Antarctica, stick to the ship's excursions. If it is cancelled, at least you COULD get your money back.

SAVE your money (usually about $1500pp) and book a cruise that actually goes to Antarctica. MUCH more worthwhile.

• 2 weeks later...

I would not pay to do the flight over Antarctica. I know of people on our cruise last year whose flight was cancelled due to the weather conditions.

Even if you book with the Ship's excursion, you are not guaranteed of seeing everything that you had hoped to see. My sister and BIL were on a flight organized by their ship in December, 2004 and after take off, flew for 4 hours. The winds were so strong, that the plane was buffeted every which way and they had to return back and I don't think they saw a thing. I am not sure if they got some sort of credit for the early return. They were lucky that they had just returned from being down in Antarctica and this was an added extra.

Jennie

Thanks for the info on the flights - I will take it off the idea list. But, I guess what I'm hoping to find is something similar to the helicopter glacier trip we took in Alaska. I can't seem to find anything like that for the South America trip and I have a hard time believing that there is nothing like that - either towards Antartica or the glaciers in Chile.

Any ideas you have are greatly appreciated.;)

I know this has nothing to do with Punte Areanas.

But can you tell me why you bought your leather jacket in Ushuaia instead of Buenos Aires.

The reason I bought my jacket in Ushuaia was that our cruise started in Rio so we didn't have anytime at the beginning of the trip in BA. We also went up to the Iguazu Falls for a few days pre cruise.

That meant we only had one day in BA and that was taken up with so much sightseeing. We visited just about everything we could with our private guide including a Tango Show and as the ship left at 5pm we had a short day in port.

Ushuaia was the next best place for leather and there are certainly plenty of leather shops there. Due to missing a couple of ports and being 11 days at sea in a row, our Captain managed to go full steam ahead from Antarctica and we ended up having an extra day there which gave us plenty of time for shopping.

I bought a beautiful jacket, learnt a lot about leather in the process and did not pay a huge amount for it. I wore it numerous times last winter and am still thrilled with my purchase.

I hope this answers your question.

Jennie

Thanks Jennie

for the info - just thought the jackets were less expensive than BA or perhaps more choice thats all.

The Recoleta seems to get quite a bit of "airing"

thanks anyway

Wendy (another Aussie Gal !!)

Wendy,

Ushuaia is a good option if you do not find a jacket in B.A. We found mine in a shop in an arcade off the main street. I had seen one I liked when we were on our tour in B.A. but didn't have the time to buy it as the train was coming to take us to the Delta area. I think Ushuaia could be a little cheaper than B.A. The prices vary on the sort of leather. Baby calf leather was the most expensive, followed by calf and then cow which is the cheapest.

Good luck and enjoy. It is a wonderful cruise.

Jennie

Archived