El Convento Pre Cruise Stay

Bellarose

Has anyone stayed here? I read the reviews and they all seem to be good. We booked two nights pre-cruise. Going on the Destiny, which appears to leave at 10pm?? Does anyone know how late check out is? I called hotel and they cannot tell me until we get there.

We have !!! We also stayed 2 nights precruise for our 11/05 Serenade cruise. We flew in on Thanksgiving day and sailed at 10 pm on Sat. night. I believe checkout is at 11 am BUT they have this little room where they will store your luggage (free) until you want to go to the ship. We wanted to shop a little since our plans to visit the rainforest were cancelled due to storms in the mountains. They give you a claim ticket and "lock em up".

This was a trip to celebrate our 25th and we went all out..... once I had researched San Juan I knew this is where I wanted to stay. We had no desire to stay on the beach since we would be at a beach everyday on the cruise (we also live near the beach :p ) but I wanted the charm and history of Old San Juan. WE LOVED IT. The hotel was built as a Carmelite convent in the 1500's and has a long history since. They spent millions renovating it in the 1990's. It is San Juans only 5 star and has been in Conde Nast and other publications. It is where all the visiting vip's stay. Bear in mind it was built as a convent - the rooms are sort of small but loaded with charm. The window is almost floor to ceiling and has a solid wood "door" which is about 5 inches thick....we opened ours one night when a shower came through and watched the lightning over the harbor...... I will remember that one for a long time.

I will stay there again in a heartbeat!!!! Hopefully soon :D

Any other questions - let me know.

PS Dont eat breakfast at the hotel...... walk over to La Bombonera - you must try a mallorca with ham & cheese ----- YUM

We will be staying there before the AOS 2/11 sailing and will check it out for you. We did the same level of review and decided to stay here. We actually had dinner next to the bhotel courtyard the last time we were in SJ and decided this would be a blast. I'll post again after we return if that will not be too late for your trip.

Thanks so much for the comments. I think that hotel will be better than the Ritz. We will be going to the beach during the cruise and we live in Florida.

I hope you enjoy you stay as much as Tex. Thanks for checking it out. I look forward to hearing from you.

Archived