What is going on with these threads??

Wow Ozland

I also sailed on the Chandris - ship Ellinis. :) My trip was in 1972 when we emigrated to Australia - sorry don't remember anything though I was only a baby!! Although mum and dad have their signed certificates for crossing the equator but apparently I didn't get one!!:(

Rach

I left Sydney on July 4, 1972....but I wasn't a baby....;)

Gail

Karen:

What a small world! Yes, we lived in the married quarters right next to the WRAAC barracks. Our actual address was MQ 122 (MQ= married quarters, 122= the number of our house. We didn't have a street address (?) don't know why.

At the top of the hill, the WRAAC Barracks entrance was on the left, surrounded by a wire fence. As you continued on the road reached the end of the first fence section (on the left) there was a small *parking area* and a path running along the fence....facing that path was a triplex....we lived in the one on the far end. My Mum was the manager of the canteen in the WRAAC Barracks. They put in a gate from the path in front of our house into the barracks so she could just walk straight through instead of having to go all the way around to the main entrance.

I lived there from 1959 until 1969. (I'm 57......sshhh....;) ).

We did live out on Middle Head when I was younger....from around 1952 until 1956. Then came the two years in Adelaide and the year in Liverpool. Guess what......I played in the *forbidden* forts out on the point too!

Also spent many a Sunday afternoon at the Chowder Bay Sargeant's Mess! We kid's would drink our *red drinks*, rasberry cordial, and play out front.

I have gone back to visit and our George's Heights house has been demolished......my sister says many years ago. My sister, Leslee, is four years younger. Brother, Mark, six years younger. Both still live in Australia.

My maiden name......Bradford. Maybe your Dad knew my Dad.....Brick Bradford. (That's the name all his Army mates would know him by.)

Went to Blessed Sacrament, (not sure if that was a Mosman Address), Sacred Heart at Spit Junction, and Our Lady of Dolours at Chatswood.

Maybe we were neighbors!

Gail

Gail,

We lived in the same Married Quarters (use to be a hospital apparently) but 5 years after you. We moved there when I was 4 (1974).

We were in the first of the triplex. Harry Walliston lived in your MQ.

Our actual address when we were there was MQ 124 Suakin Drive, Georges Heights, Mosman.

I rang my dad (he turns 62 this year) and he said the he worked at the water transportation unit in 1965 and he knew your dad:eek:.

My maiden name is...O'Haire.

Mum said she use to help out in the canteen when needed.

Do you happen to know the "Rymans"? They would be about 4 years older than you and they would have lived down at Middle head?

Ahhhh. That "red drink":D

Karen

Karen:

What are the odds! It's not like George's Heights is that big either.....and then the same triplex.

I will have to ask my sister about the Rymans....she stayed in touch with people long after I had moved (I moved to New Zealand in 1969 for a couple of years).

I do know my brother was very good friends with the Nevils (I don't know the correct spelling but it sounds like that) who lived at Middle Head Army base for a long time. After my Dad died, Mr. Nevil *adopted* my brother and he spent a lot of time with their family. The Nevil's had a number of children and some were older than Mark. They probably did know the Rymans.

You might remember the flats my grandparents lived in at Clifton Gardens. If you approached the beach from the Chowder Bay side and looked across to the other side, you would see a three story cream building edged in red brick. There were five flats there and my grandparents had one of them. If you were driving down to the beach from the other side it was the last house on the right before rounding the curve to the beach. We could walk down through the back yard, cross the street and we were at the beach. The flats have since been converted to condos. Very expensive ones I understand.

We could watch the ships from there too!

Gee....who woulda thought.....:D

Oh yes, we have had three days of freezing rain and sleet. There's approximately four inches of ice on the ground. It's packed down and very slippery. Makes driving an adventure....walking too!

The weight of the ice on the trees breaks the limbs which fall on the power lines.....thus taking out the electricty. We have not lost power but many towns around us have. It is so cold and most homes are electrically heated so if the power goes out, so does the heat. A lot of churches, fire stations and schools have set up shelter for those affected.

Although the front has finally passed through tonight, strong winds are predicted for tomorrow which means more trees/tree limbs could come down.

I should know the answer to this but.....where is the Chili Bowl? I am guessing Texas. (I will be very embarrassed if you say Oklahoma. :o) If your son is flying out of Texas the airports there shouldn't be affected too much, since it wasn't as bad there. and it will be warmer....which will help the ice melt. The only reason his flight might be delayed would be if the plane is originating from an affected area.

You're right.....it is very different from Sydney! But I have lived in much colder/snowier places like Colorado, Upstate New York and Chicago so I'm finally acclimated.....don't like it but I'm used to it. ;)

I know it's not in Texas, it's a speedcar race that is held in some big wharehouse type thingy only once each year. Something like 400 cars with big names like Tony Stewart and others that race nascars. Something for the winter I guess. I know that it is very hard to get tickets and once you have them you get the same spot next year so my son didn't really want to let them go so 3 others went with him this time. They have hired a car but I can't imagine what it would be like to drive in the snow and ice etc. I know there are two Tulsa's in USA but I thought it was in Oklahoma, but could be the other. Latest news, just checked, it is Oklahoma and Tony Stewart has won this years so my son will be extatic. I just noticed they call it the Midget Nationals.

howsthis:

So he must be here in the midst of this mess. Unless the vehicle has 4-wheel drive they are probably not doing much driving. People are getting out a little bit, here and there, but the majority are staying put. It is VERY quiet on the streets. My small SUV handles very well so we did venture out for lunch yesterday....called ahead to make sure the restaurant was open. Had to be extremely careful driving. Very few people were there and it was lunch time on a Saturday at a popular restaurant.

As I said, Tulsa still has electricity so they are probably safe and warm in a hotel. Flights out of here have been hit or miss. Tomorrow should be better as all the precipitation has passed through.

I will check and see if the Chili Bowl is here.....I must have been too busy following the weather (and cruise critic...;)) to have noticed.

Gail

You might remember the flats my grandparents lived in at Clifton Gardens. If you approached the beach from the Chowder Bay side and looked across to the other side, you would see a three story cream building edged in red brick. There were five flats there and my grandparents had one of them. If you were driving down to the beach from the other side it was the last house on the right before rounding the curve to the beach. We could walk down through the back yard, cross the street and we were at the beach. The flats have since been converted to condos. Very expensive ones I understand.

We could watch the ships from there too!

Gee....who woulda thought.....:D

Sorry Gail

Cant remember your grandparents house but Im sure it would have been a wonderful place to live though.

Its been nice remembering all the things we use to do as kids at Middle Head.

Karen

Thanks Ozland, the Chili Bowl Event is held in the Tulsa Expo Centre near the big Oil Man or Rigger I'm not sure what they call him. Still haven't heard from him so can only hope all is well. Thanks again.

You're welcome!

If you do hear from him, and he needs anything, just post and I can give you my phone number for him to call. We'll be glad to help if there's anything he needs.

Gail

You're welcome!

If you do hear from him, and he needs anything, just post and I can give you my phone number for him to call. We'll be glad to help if there's anything he needs.

Gail

Thank you Gail, finally heard from him, phone trouble, but everything seems ok so far, flying out tomorrow hopefully. He did say that the driving has been 'interesting' so we are expecting he will have plenty to tell us when he gets home.

I heard on the news last night that all flights are pretty much back on schedule in Tulsa....so he should be able to get out okay. I'm assuming he will be flying to the West Coast to connect with the international flight and things are looking okay west.

Yes, if he has been driving he will have a tale to tell.....especially if he has had to drive any hills. From what I understand, the main roads are doing okay now.....its the neighborhoods that are difficult to traverse. We live way in the back of our neighborhood, at the bottom of a series of hills and curves. It's all uphill for us until we get to a main road....which is still not a road that gets ploughed!

Just part of living here.....:)

Saw some pictures yesterday on a news website. The ice hanging off trees and cars was amazing.

It is really awful and no end in sight. It's getting even colder....down to around 5 F tonight!

My daughter and I chipped ice on part of our driveway yesterday. It was 6" deep in places. We spent about 4 hours out there and probably only got 1/20th of it. We do have a long and wide driveway though.

Unfortunately, snow is in the forecast for the weekend...........:eek:

(I apologize for taking this thread so off topic....seems it has become my *weather* in the U.S. thread.)

Gail

It is really awful and no end in sight. It's getting even colder....down to around 5 F tonight!

My daughter and I chipped ice on part of our driveway yesterday. It was 6" deep in places. We spent about 4 hours out there and probably only got 1/20th of it. We do have a long and wide driveway though.

Unfortunately, snow is in the forecast for the weekend...........:eek:

(I apologize for taking this thread so off topic....seems it has become my *weather* in the U.S. thread.)

Gail

Hi Gail, he has arrived back in Oz but is staying on in Sydney because of another race meeting (World of Outlaws), but is coming home tomorrow for a little while then goes back to Sydney again. Anyway have to wait until tomorrow to see his videos and pics of your lovely city. Quite hot here so a big difference for him. Yes, it is off topic but it's nice that this 'cruise family' is so widespread and can be of help to each other, so thank you very much.

Hi Gail, he has arrived back in Oz but is staying on in Sydney because of another race meeting (World of Outlaws), but is coming home tomorrow for a little while then goes back to Sydney again. Anyway have to wait until tomorrow to see his videos and pics of your lovely city. Quite hot here so a big difference for him. Yes, it is off topic but it's nice that this 'cruise family' is so widespread and can be of help to each other, so thank you very much.

Glad to hear it! (I'm not so sure our city will look very beautiful in his pictures.) ;) Although they do say "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". If nothing else, they will be memorable ones. :)

Gail

Archived