Shopping for local art

oh2gocruisin

All the ports have shops showcasing local/native art. However, it is not inexpensive. Expect to pay a couple hundred for a nice piece and they go up from there. Look for the "made in Alaska" or native-made stickers. You can get knick-knacks cheaper or consider wearable art such as beaded seal slippers.

Can anyone offer suggestions for shops/galleries (and their location) that have good quality local art at these ports: Juneau, Sitka and Ketchikan? DH and I enjoy collecting items made by local artists from the places we visit. Thanks for any suggestions.

Juneau--The Memeluck Fur Dolls Company is in Juneau on Seward Street. we purchased dolls there for our daughter on our first two trips to Alaska. We missed it the last time because they closed at 5:00 and we showed up about 5:10, but we were able to buy one of the dolls at another shop. These dolls are often copied and made in China, but the genuine ones are certainly worth the price. We also bought one of these in Ketchikan on Creek Street as an afterthought for ourselves on our last cruise and actually got a better price than in Juneau.

Ketchikan--The Scanlon Gallery, 318 Mission Street (downtown Ketchikan), has a great selection of prints and other works by Alaskan artists and craftsmen. We purchased four numbered/signed prints by JoAnn George on our first cruise and then I bought a numbered/signed Barbara Lavallee print as a gift for my wife on our last cruise. (Just as I was leaving with my package she walked into the gallery so she knew she was getting something, but she had to wait 3 months to get it for her birthday.) You can buy them matted and framed or just the print. It's easier to transport the print which they package very well and then matte and frame it at home. There are several stores on Creek Street with good deals also.

Jerry

Thanks, this is just what we're looking for. The Scanlon Gallery, looks like a great place with a nice variety of things. The Memeluk doll shop will also be on our list of places to visit, our nieces would love them. Thanks again for these suggestions.

Kathy

Archived