Volendam 2 Jan - 12 Jan Long Review

GarySuzy

This review is also being submitted to the Members Reviews

Volendam 2 Jan – 12 Jan 2007 Panama Canal

Disclaimer – these are our opinions and experiences others may have had a different experience.

We flew into FLL a day early and stayed at the Ramada Inn. This hotel has a cruise special that not only picks you up at the airport but also takes you to the pier the next day. This was very well organized as there were approximately 200 people going out on both the Volendam and Amsterdam staying in this hotel and they ran multiple buses to the ships.

Embarkation – We arrived at 11:45 AM and proceeded to the express check-in line. HAL only had 4 agents checking in people so we had to wait inline for close to 40 minutes. An elderly gentleman collapsed and paramedics were called, it is our understanding that he just was not used to standing for long periods of time. We were finally able to get checked in and headed straight to the boarding area, only to be stopped by the photographers and not allowed to pass until they took our picture, (this was the first time a photographer actually would not let us pass until our picture was taken). We were greeted on entering the ship by multiple people and directed to the Lido deck for Lunch and to await our cabin being ready.

Cabin – The announcement that the Cabins were ready came at about 1:30 we proceeded to our cabin 6188 an AA Verandah and were met by our cabin steward Matt. Matt asked us if there was anything we needed and then informed us of the hours he would be available and how to contact him. He was an excellent steward and kept our cabin spotless. The cabin its self was good size with a queen bed and a queen size sofa. There was stationary in the cabin with our name and cabin number on it. Also, our pre-ordered shore excursions were in the cabin. The Verandah was nice size with a lounger and chair with a small table.

Life Boat Drill – This was the first time in 11 cruises that everyone was real attentive during the drill. The usual cross talking did not occur, this made the drill go quickly and it was done in 20 minutes.

Dining – As food is subjective I will only say that we felt the dishes on the Maasdam and Oosterdam had more flavor to them. We were at table 104 port side next to the window 6:15 Seating. This is a table for 6, the first night one other couple were at the table, this was the only night they were there as they preferred a table for two. The next night 2 other couples (Joe and Nancy) and (Kelly and Les) Kelly and Les were at the table only one night as someone from the late seating was at their table and they were moved to ours for the one night. Joe and Nancy became our regular table mates and we enjoyed them very much. However, we had one other couple join us one evening, (Wes and Sherry) they normally dined in the Lido but the Lido was not serving the dish they wanted so they came to our table for the one night. I must say it was interesting to meet so many different people at the dining table. This could have been a sample of what freestyle dining is like. Our waiter and asst. waiter (Asep and Iskander) were very good and dealt with the multiple people coming to the table with a very good attitude, as at times we had already ordered and then someone else would show up at the table. Once it was discovered that I am allergic to onions the Head waiter (Donny) provided me with the next night’s menu so I could order and they would ensure that there were no onions in any of the dishes I received.

Lido – We ate the Lido for breakfast and lunch. There was a nice selection at breakfast as you could have eggs to order, express with scrambled eggs, omelet station and then fruit and cereal and pastries. Lunch also had different stations however we were being good and only had salads for lunch.

Shows – The production shows were the same ones we saw on the Oosterdam during Thanksgiving just with different performers and sets. The best show was Paul Pappas the piano player he did two shows one that covered a wide range of music and one that was more classical piano.

Ports – HMC what can you say but it was beautiful, the water was a little cold so you could not stay in very long, also we shared HMC with the Maasdam. Aruba we did the DE PALM Island Snorkeling and had a great time. The Island has something for everyone you can just sunbath/swim, snorkel, scuba, snuba, or sea trek (hard hat underwater tour). Curacao, this is a very clean and beautiful island, we did the Curacao tour and folkloric tour and had a great time. Panama Canal, we had never been here and just to see the canal and the locks work was worth the trip, we did not take any excursions here. Limon, Costa Rica, here we took the Old Banana Train Tour we had a good time on this tour as we rode a bus out to the Banana Plantation toured the banana processing area and learned a lot about bananas, then we caught the old train back to Limon, we saw Monkeys, Sloth’s, and Alligator’s along with varities birds (vultures) and plant life. Our guide Roy made this a very good tour.

The Ship – The overall appearance of the ship was good, it was clean and the crew did everything possible to make sure it stayed that way. Yes, there is some worn carpet and chairs but with the amount of traffic on this ship that is to be expected. On sea days we did not have to deal with chair hogs, there always seemed to be a chair available when we wanted one. Both pools were used and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves.

The Spa – We won a free scalp massage, my wife took this and came back just glowing, it is more than a scalp massage but also a neck and shoulders massage. Since she raved about it I also had one and it was great and plan to have one on our next cruise the first day out it just relaxed me so much.

Disembarkation – With being able to stay in you cabin this went smooth, our number was called we went down and claimed out bags. Our bags were all together in one spot, first time ever. Went through customs and out to the bus to the Airport, waited about 20 minutes before the bus left and we were still at the airport within 45 minutes of leaving the ship. Well organized and planned.

Dear Gary,

Thank you for the review of your recent 10 Panama cruise on the Volendam. I've been waiting to read someone who had taken this cruise as my husband and I will be doing the same trip March 3rd. I was especially glad that you included your port excursions as I like to read other cruisers opinions before booking - I now know I will be taking the De Palm Snorkel excursion. We had cruised on the Noordam out of NYC last March with no complaints of rough seas and I'm wondering if you had a smooth trip, ocean wise.

konkrete kid

Konkrete Kid,

We had rough seas for a couple of days - 12 to 18 foot waves and on the last night we had high seas 18 - 27 foot waves. But aside from some rocking the ship did well in these seas and you only walked a little funny once in awhile. I would not worry about it as we were on the edge of a storm and the wind was 33 knots across the deck, and this caused the high seas.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.

Gary

Good review. We were on the ship for the holiday cruise and had Matt as our steward. He was terrific. He always was friendly and helpful. He had alot to contend with with our group, as we had 3 cabins together, and one had our 2 small grandchildren in it with their parents. Not easy to keep clean.

Our main disappointment was the service and food in the dining room. Christmas dinner was a disaster. We were there over 2 hours and the food was cold. Didn't even get the stuffing with the turkey. Filet that night was as small as a silver dollar. For me that would be fine, but for my son in law and son that was not enough. Every night was slow service and not great selections or taste. We have gone on many HAL ships and this was certainly a disappointment for all. Not their usual standard

:) GarySuzy,thanks for posting your review.We are sailing on this cruise on 22 January and have also booked the Banana Train excursion,hope we get lucky and see some sloths...this will be our 4th visit to Cost Rica but no sloth sightings so far. Again thanks for posting the review..our suitcases are at the ready!!!!

Mary.

This is the second time I have tried to post a PS hope this one takes.

Culinary Arts - DW signed up for the Lemon Herb Crusted Salamon, this was well worth it and tasted great - one of few things were you get to eat your creations at the end.

The Pinnecle Grill Chef taught the class, and stated he and some of his staff were leaving the ship at the end of the cruise.

This leaving the ship seemed to become a theme, Asep our waiter is leaving at the end of the current cruise. Katrina and Gene the Bar Staff from the Ocean Bar and Show Room are leaving at the end of the current cruise.

The Production Show Cast left at the end of the cruise along with some band members.

We talked to some of the crew that were on our flight to LA and they stated that about 60% of the crew will be changed by March.

Gary

Note to "Mary "GG".

Did you know there will be an Irish Festival on the Volendam? We are booked on the Volendam for the 22nd because of it. We had to book through the festival office.

Are you taking the Aerial Tram in Puerto Limon? We did book the railroad in Panama. Have been reading McCullough (sp?) "Pathway To The Seas" as reommended on the CC Port Info. We are flying out of Washington Dulles and staying at the Riverside. Would enjoy meeting you. Hopefully we will beat the cold weather to the West of us.

Blessings,

Gail

Archived