Costa Maya/Majahaul

cruisinlawn

are these two places essentially the same? neighbor cities i'm guessing or one is cruise port and the other the city district? thanks.

"Costa Maya" as a broad term refers pretty much to the entire Yucatan coast below Cozumel. It is trying to become a big tourist area like the Mexican Riviera and has several up and coming resorts, I think.

"Costa Maya" as a cruise port is a self invented "tourist village" with a cruise ship dock. It has all the things you find in any tacky tourist trap anyplace ... bars, including swim up bars, hair braiding, shops, shops, shops, more bars. They try everything they can to just keep you there. However, if you look closely for the tiny signs that say "Emergency Exit" you can escape to the parking lot. There you will find a monopoly shuttle service which for $3 will drive you in to the town of Majahual. This village is well on the way to becoming a tacky tourist destination in its own right, centering around the Cat's Meow bar and a beach, offering bars, massages, hair braiding, shops shops shops -- you get the picture!

Personally, we chose to concentrate on the "MAYA" part of the name. Several significant Maya ruins are located in the area,and if you avoid the tourist traps and arrange a tour to the ruins it is a fascinating and educational place. We booked with the famous guides David and Ivan, and you can find lots of info on their tours to Chacchoben ruins further down this board.

Whatever is your cuppa tea, enjoy!

I would definitely get out of the tourist trap right at the port, and I second the idea of touring the ruins with David and Ivan, but I actually enjoyed wandering around the Majahual fishing village. It is only about 5 minutes away and $2 per person by taxi. The Cat's Meow or the other restaurants have tables right beside the water, and it is very beautiful and relaxing to sit and eat. You can also get a massage or hair braid, or shop a little. The whole town is only a half-mile long, so this is a good thing to do with the other half of your day after visiting the ruins.

Archived