Port time Too Short?

Desert star

A two hour excursion that takes 8 is not only an inconvenience but could be dangerous. Going on a shore excursion for two hours with moderate exertion I would probably bring a few crackers or a couple of fun size candy bars, but 8 hours without a meal my sugar would probably drop way to far - easily to the point of passing out.

Desert Star- We were on the same sailing as you and also went to Trunk Bay. I too felt that we left port too early...zero time to shop after beaching it for only 2 hours in St John, which we loved.

Also in hindsight, since we didn't stop in Great Stirrup Cay we definately could have stayed longer in St. Thomas.

It appears from these boards that missing the private island is not uncommon so I say do away that stop and with the expectation of going there and stay longer in St Thomas. We were very disappointed to not get the chance to hang at the beach and snorkel at Stirrup Cay especially when we got right up to the island and the Captain decides that the conditions were not right...sea conditions noted as "slight" :confused: . Go figure Marilyn

My wife could spend all day at these tourist trap stores and not buy anything, she loves to shop. On the other hand I don't really like to shop, I would rather do an excursion. If the time at port is short, choose one or the other, no one is forcing you to do an excursion. Shop is you wish to shop, have fun on an excursion if you want to have fun.

We had time problems in Aug. 2006, (Dawn) Nassau in the pm and the shops were mostly closed and the area not very appealing. Leaving early next day. Bermuda not long enough too. We did everything on our own and were glad to be able to call the shots. NCL tours would have wasted time. Dolphin swim is very near dock and easy to get to as were beaches in most places.

Marilyn- By the way Iam Jerilyn, my mom was Marilyn.

I don't know what time you got up, but we were in to Sturrip Cay Early and sat there for quite a while, I wish the call could have been made sooner so that maybe we could have gotten into Nassau. I really didn't get my cruise shopping fix this trip.:D

Hi Jerilyn we were up in the Garden Cafe at about 8:15 or so when the Captain made the announcement. We were suited up and ready to go and looking at the island from the cafe. We really could not understand the decision not to stop. The waters were considered "slight" according to the ship log and definately calmer than they had been the day and night before. I hadn't finished my snorkeling or shopping fix either! Marilyn

Archived