Two questions

Travel Lover

Has anyone ever upgraded cabins at the port? How much of a deal did you get? I know they told us it is better to do it there at the port when checking in (cheaper)... I just wondered what deals people got. We are wanting to go from a window to a balcony on the Pearl to Alaska... How much do think it will cost us (two people)???

Also, is it true that the Pearl does NOT have a cinema? I read it some where.

You almost Never have the option of upgrading at the port. there is always a no upgrades available sign on every cruise I have taken, and many here have said the same thing. If you want to upgrade your best bet is to let your agent know you are open to an upsell or even ask them to call the reassignment desk two or three weeks or so before cruiseing to see if they have any upsales available.

We always ask for an upgrade at the pier and at over 15 cruises, we have gotten it about 25% of the time. The worst they can say is no. They aren't going to kick us off the ship for asking and we will be in the cabin we booked if the answer is no.

It doesn't hurt to ask.

elisa

We always ask for an upgrade at the pier and at over 15 cruises, we have gotten it about 25% of the time. The worst they can say is no. They aren't going to kick us off the ship for asking and we will be in the cabin we booked if the answer is no.

It doesn't hurt to ask.

elisa

That's good to know, Elisa. My ship is sold out this weekend but I'm asking just the same. You're right that it never hurts to ask. :)

Guest BeckyThane

We got a mid-cruise upsell from a BD (maybe it was BC?) to an AC.

HINT: The time to ask is when you see people leaving the ship with all their baggage.

And yes, it was MUCH cheaper than if we had originally booked that cabin.

Happy sailing!

~ Becky

You almost Never have the option of upgrading at the port. there is always a no upgrades available sign on every cruise I have taken, and many here have said the same thing. If you want to upgrade your best bet is to let your agent know you are open to an upsell or even ask them to call the reassignment desk two or three weeks or so before cruiseing to see if they have any upsales available.

Two things. First, I learned that the cabin reassignment department is not the same as the upsell department. Second, the upsell department is no longer accepting any incoming calls (from pax or TAs) because the process was abused by people calling in daily and even more often asking for upsells. Some people started calling months before their cruise date. Upsell is a tiny department with one person working on upsells (if cabins haven't sold well or aren't selling well) for ALL cruises for a particular ship. They simply could not handle the volume. Plus the revenue department noticed a significant drop in bookings of higher level cabins with people then calling in well in advance and repeatedly asking/begging/pleading for an upsell. The PTB decided the system was not workable and changed the policy to "don't call us; if we decide upsells are available, we might call you." You can have it noted on your reservation that you would be interested in an upsell, but the prevailing feeling is that pretty much everyone might be interested in an upsell, so the department will use their own guidelines as to whom to call and when.

beachchick

Ditto... always has been a sign saying no upgrades available.

This may be slightly O/T, but we got an "involuntary" upgrade when we sailed RCL's Voyager. We had booked an oceanview, and when we got to our stateroom after boarding, there was another party already in the room. I went to the purser to straighten it out, and found out we had been upgraded to a balcony, at no increase in price. Was a slight delay in getting our bags, as they were tagged for the oceanview. Good move on RCL's part, as in addition to being hooked on sailing, we're now hooked on balconies..!

Archived