How safe is Jamaica?

new2cruzing

We have NEVER had a problem in Jamaica - Ocho Rios or Negril. We don't go to the tourist traps either we usually go where the locals hang out for dinning etc. Where did the statistic "murder capitol of the world last year" come from? I just don't believe it. Washington DC or most major cities in the US have higher crime rates. As long as you use common sence as you would anywhere else Jamaica is just fine. I really don't understand why the average tourist dosen't want anything to do with the Jamaican people? I find them lovely and very friendly.

Caroline

We will be in Ocho Rios. I wouldn't mind going to Margaritaville, but on our last trip there our tablemate said that he walked to Margaritaville and was followed and hassled the whole way by a guy wanting to sell him pot, woman, anything he wanted. The guy wouldn't take no for an answer. I also read on these boards that when you go back to the ship they search you and have been known to take teenage boys off to the side to search. I am not comfortable with that at all. One lady claimed that she saw one agent try to put something in her son's pocket. They raised a ruckus and the agents let them go.

It was my recollection that Pete Taylor picked us up inside of the fenced in area and returned us there. Do you know if this searching is a common occurance? My son is 14, but not very mature or "street smart". We live in a town of 100 people in the midwest. He would get scared pretty easy I'm afraid. Do you know if you can avoid this by going with a tour like Pete Taylor, or do these searches take place no matter what? I don't remember being searched at all. I don't mind them searching me and my family as long as we are all kept together so I know that it is on the up and up.

Is there a way to get to Margaritaville without all the hassle? I would like to get off the ship, but I want to know that it will be safe. I don't know if I want to spend $200 for my family to go to an all inclusive resort when we can use the ship. Any other "safe" ideas are sure welcome. Thanks!

Do you know if this searching is a common occurance? s!

My teen daughter nor i have ever been searched when reboarding the ship, they will search you if you look suspicious or they have reason to believe you have drugs.

I people that i have heard of getting busted for buying drugs, don't even make it to the ship to get searched before they are detained.

Thanks for taking the time to post what you did in regards to understanding the locals better. I have yet to get to Jamaica, only a few short weeks (OK, 11 or so :) ), but look forward to going and experiencing it. Your explanation helped put my mind at ease a bit, as the only things I've heard about Jamaica EVER have been negative things from those who have been there. Thanks.

I wish that I had read this before our cruise in December. We did not enjoy our stop in Montego Bay because of the aggressive vendors. We have 2 sons (12 and 16), and my oldest son was pulled into a store by a female vendor. She was very friendly but, you know how it is when it comes to your kids...you don't want anyone touching them. She kept telling me that I needed to buy this tote bag. I said that it was a nice bag, but I didn't need it. We were polite with Hello, No thank you, and all, but it is stressful.

We weren't, but my sister-in-law and her husband were approached by a couple of people who wanted to sell them drugs and pot.

This is kind of funny, but in one shop the shopkeeper asked my husband if he was in the military. My husband said, "No, I'm not." The shopkeeper then asked if he was a cop, my DH said, "Yes, as a matter of fact, I am." Shopkeeper said, "I knew you were either one or the other." Whenever we are shopping, my DH, who is tall, trim, and has very short hair, is always looking at his surroundings instead of at the merchandise. He was like,"I wonder how he knew I was a cop." I told him he'd never make it as an undercover cop, he can't blend in.

Islandsinmyblood and Bunduo..I’m sure that your manners and friendly response to vendors (or anyone you encounter for that matter) are well noted, whether here in Jamaica or elsewhere, and give encouragement to those who you meet to hang in there yet another day. It is just a courtesy, yet many people seem to lack it, and people appreciate the fact that they’re recognized as another human being with feelings. In one way or another, all of we people are part of the family of Earth’s inhabitants. In Jamaica they say “manners carry you through the world” and it’s very true. “Big up!” to you, as we say here. :)

Newt98, your open-mindedness to experience other cultures will both reinforce your appreciation for what you are blessed to have and I’ll bet you come away with a new respect for cultures that many deem ‘uncultured’ or lacking in some way. The Jamaicans as a whole are strong, proud people, with a spirit that allows them to continue to fight for survival in circumstances that would have many just feel like giving up...and underneath the struggles still beat hearts of dignity. Hopefully when you land here, even though for such a short time, you’ll have a chance to relax at some point and sit under a shady tree somewhere, or under a plastic tarp “awning” or in a grocery store..anywhere at all...and have a good chat with a Jamaican about life’s similarities amongst all the differences. A cruise stop won’t even let you scratch the surface of this diverse little island...but should you like what you see, there are plenty of places for a land visit!

Most people start with Ocho Rios or Montego Bay or Negril, and then branch out from there...or return again and again to that one city or town that first captured their hearts.

Mill231, you brought up some excellent points...again, if you weren’t on a time schedule, a conversation with the man who was yelling would have possibly made an impression on him...he would, if nothing else, remember what you said and would watch then each day, observing the approach used by the people who do get business, and maybe, hopefully, begin to copy them.

I don’t know what the boy who was searched did to warrant it, but I would assume it was thought that he had weed on his person somewhere. If your boys are with you, and you’re all with a responsible tour guide/driver, I’m sure you’ll have no problems at all.

I do wonder when I read posts by people who have encountered difficulties of one type or another, or just had questions that were going unanswered, where in the heck were their drivers/guides? To me, it’s all part of the package...not just dropping someone off and then going to sleep in the bus or chatting with friends, but staying with the people who have chosen to put their confidence in you and being there for them throughout the day (unless it is requested and understood that the visitor is comfortable on their own in a certain location or activity instance.)

If venturing out and about in town, even in the tourist areas, you will encounter the occasional person who will ask you if you need anything for your vacation pleasure..and yes, the offer can include anything from drugs to company to tours to heaven only knows what.

If they don’t take the words “Thanks, I’m all set” as a no, and persist in following you with yet more offers, just give the usual back and forth hand wave that means “NO” as you keep walking. Should they still persist, immediately walk into the first shop right next to you...chill for a minute while the person moves on, and then continue on your way.

Why the offers for drugs (usually marijuana or cocaine)? Because many people DO come to Jamaica looking for that..and these guys want to be sure that they don’t miss a hopeful sale...the old adage of supply and demand.

I do believe if those of you on cruises were able to stay a day in either of the big cruise ship cities (both MoBay and Ochi) on a day when the cruise ships were not in port, you’d see a more relaxed tourist area.

KLCT, my husband is Jamaican, and he suggests an different response when approached by someone to stop and look at this or buy that, or someone telling you that you NEED to purchase something unwanted...he suggests that you answer the question or comment with "Do I have a choice?" (who is going to tell you no?? :) ) When the vendor answers "Of course" or something similar, you then respond with a smile and say "Then I choose not to, thank you" and keep going. Should they keep asking you, you just keep repeating "Do I have a choice?"...the repetition puts the game to an end!

Thank you Tottt. By the way, do you know of a tour guide that will stay with you all day? We hired Pete Taylor last time. We were happy with him, but he did not stay with us at Dunns River Falls. I would have felt so much safer if he would have either stayed with us there, or came back inside after an hour and walked through the market place with us. If he had been by our side we would have stopped and bought more souveniors. I really liked him and felt comfortable with him and his son that was along with us.

Do you know of a guide like him that would walk through the market place with us? I loved that he took us through furn gully and was so accommadating taking everyone whereever they wanted to go, but you are right. If you pay them for all day they should stay with you and see to it that you are safe and not hassled. It is his country and he knows how to handle it if there is a problem, much like I'd know how to handle a problem better in my culture. If you know of a guide that would give us this kind of a service please let me know.

Thank you Tottt. By the way, do you know of a tour guide that will stay with you all day? We hired Pete Taylor last time. We were happy with him, but he did not stay with us at Dunns River Falls. I would have felt so much safer if he would have either stayed with us there, or came back inside after an hour and walked through the market place with us. If he had been by our side we would have stopped and bought more souveniors. I really liked him and felt comfortable with him and his son that was along with us.

Do you know of a guide like him that would walk through the market place with us? I loved that he took us through furn gully and was so accommadating taking everyone whereever they wanted to go, but you are right. If you pay them for all day they should stay with you and see to it that you are safe and not hassled. It is his country and he knows how to handle it if there is a problem, much like I'd know how to handle a problem better in my culture. If you know of a guide that would give us this kind of a service please let me know.

We used Marva Shaw (http://www.knowjamaica.com/) and she stayed with us all day. When we went into Coyoba (sp) Gardens she waited at the entrance. When we went tubing we tried to get her to go with us but she wouldn't! She drove the van to the end of the river and waited there for us there. When we went shopping she went with us and recommended who to do business with and helped us get better deals. We look forward to our next cruise to Ocho, We'll definitely go with Marva again and maybe get her to go tubing with us.:D

When you use the services of an independent tour guide, you have every right to ask them to accompany you anywhere you go during the day...however, there may be times they can't, as was mentioned in relation to a tubing tour. If you have to be dropped off at one point and picked up at another (for instance, at the end of a river tube ride, or a bamboo raft ride) then while you're relaxing and enjoying the excursion, the driver/guide must drive to that pickup spot...or you'll have a driver/guide who was on the excursion with you, most likely having a great time...but when it's over, won't have a vehicle to continure on with the trip...a NEW driver would have to be booked to pick everyone up and return them to your original drivers vehicle!

Mill, I'd love to help with a recommendation, but two friends that used to live in Ochi are no longer there...one migrated to Germany and the other has moved to the west of MoBay. I wish we were in Ochi...we'd love to help and working as a team, while my husband usually does most of the driving, I'm the one that gets to go on the non-driving parts of the excursion activities. :)

DwaineandJen: (post on first page of this thread)

We are going to Mo Bay on 3/7/07. Want to go to Rose Hall Great House but can't find tour from dock. how much did it cost to get in Rose Hall, did they accept credit cards? Did you pay your driver cash or Travelers checks etc? there will be 4-8 of us. Thanks for the info!

I do believe if those of you on cruises were able to stay a day in either of the big cruise ship cities (both MoBay and Ochi) on a day when the cruise ships were not in port, you’d see a more relaxed tourist area.

KLCT, my husband is Jamaican, and he suggests an different response when approached by someone to stop and look at this or buy that, or someone telling you that you NEED to purchase something unwanted...he suggests that you answer the question or comment with "Do I have a choice?" (who is going to tell you no?? :) ) When the vendor answers "Of course" or something similar, you then respond with a smile and say "Then I choose not to, thank you" and keep going. Should they keep asking you, you just keep repeating "Do I have a choice?"...the repetition puts the game to an end!

TOTTT, as always you have given such wonderful explanations of Jamaica and her wonderful people. I have to lauph about your comment about staying more than a day. I spent a week in Ochi once and stayed very near the cruise port. The first day there were no ships in town and my friend and I walked around - we heard an occasional "taxi, ladies?", a polite "No thank you, we're walking today" always sufficed. The next day there were a couple of ships in. We headed out of our hotel mid-morning and were just bombarded with "Taxi, ladies" everywhere. I wanted a big sign that said "We are not off the ship!":D

I also love your husband's approach. Although I have not had too much problem with agressive vendors, I will have to try this next time I am there. (I wonder how this would work in other countries, like Mexico where I actually had someone follow me for blocks trying to get me to buy something - now that was scary!)

One day while in the Ocho Rios craft market at the end of the Dunn's River Falls excursion, I sat with the vendors to chat. I watched tourists pass through...some looking at stalls, some rushing past as if something was going to bite them should they slow down. Some of the vendors would call out "Come, stop, look at my things"...90% of the visitors wouldn't say a word, wouldn't give acknowledgement....5% would growl out a "NO!!!...5% would browse briefly (some buying, some not). /quote]

So if less than 5% of the tourists end up buying items, has it ever dawned on the vendors that their sales tactics might be the problem? That maybe a different approach might be more effective? Sounds like a little Marketing 101 might be in order.

Thanks TOTTT for your input and advice. I will be visiting Montego Bay for the first time and was thinking of venturing out with a friend when we returned from the canopy tour. Your suggestions have put my mind at ease and I'm hoping it will be a good experience. I will be fine as long as my "no thank you" is accepted. On other islands "no thank you" was ignored. Harrassing me while I'm browsing will only result in my leaving the area (and this goes for vendors in the states as well). I had a vendor grab my arm and drag me to his table and he just would not take no for an answer. Luckily my husband was with me and made it very clear he was not happy with a stranger grabbing my arm as he did. I understand that the vendors are just trying to put food on their tables and believe me, I thank God every day for how fortunate I am. However, I will spend more money if I can just browse in peace. :)

A polite "no thank you" or "sorry, we're not interested" has never worked for us in Jamaica either.. interestingly on Princess Cays I believe the vendors in their "straw market" have been told NOT to harass... they literally leave you completely alone... and, guess what? They sell things!!!

for my daughter and her fiance is in order. I have looked at all the stuff concerning Jamaica and think maybe it's worth the extra money to do this excursion thru Carnival for them. They are both young and eventhough it would be half as much just to go to the Sunset Beach Resort, I think I will splurge on them at this port. I think they will be better off on their own in Coz and Grand Cayman.

All the talk about certain cabs and getting stampeded by locals once you leave the ship, I think this port is the one I will buy them an excursion. Rose Hall Beach Resort looks like it would be alot of fun too. Jamaica appears to be a gorgeous island and I want them to enjoy it and be safe.:D

TOTTT, I also would like to thank you for your explanations on the island culture.

We're booked on a cruise, with our two children, that will be leaving from Jamaica, and will call there 3 times within our 2 week trip. It's a new schedule for the cruiseline (British) and we are on the first sailing.

My husband has started to get cold feet. Jamaica is not the only island that worries him, but we're there 3 times. I must admit that having read recent reports about the island I too am getting worried. I don't see the point of going on a cruise and not getting off the ship, but I have to make my children's safety and welfare my first priority.

What I think may be needed is for all of us to compromise/think before we act. By that I mean us visitors AND the locals. It may be the Jamaican way to shout out to potential buyers, but surely if they know it upsets/scares other cultures they should try a different approach.

Even here at home if I am hassled by a shop assistant 'trying to help', without my asking for it, it will actually chase me away.

I hope we do go on this cruise and that I can come back on here and post positive things.

Squeaky, how interesting that you stop three times, I've never heard of that before. I'm guessing that once will be in Ocho Rios and once in MoBay...where will the third stop be?

Really, there should be nothing to worry about. If you take a cruise booked through the ship itself, you'll board a bus, be taken to the excursion destination of your choice, dropped off at the entrance, take part in the activity, and then get back on the bus to be taken to the ship. You will most likely have a tour guide on the bus, whether or not they accompany you inside the attraction or not I'm not sure. There will be little interaction with local citizens of the town in general. The cruise ship tours will not take you anywhere that your family would be 'in danger'...it would put them out of business in a heartbeat.

If you book a tour with a private company, they too have a reputation to uphold, not to mention that safety again comes first for clients. As I mentioned somewhere earlier in the thread, my husband has always stated and follows the rule to the letter: "I will not go anywhere I am in danger, or that my wife (me :)) or family are in danger, or that the people who choose to travel with would be in danger." This rule of thumb will be the same followed by anyone reputable in the independent tour business.

Coming from Britain, there is a lot of history here your country has had a part of...your husband might want to explore that aspect, or customize a trip to include his hobbies or curiosities in general.

You will find some vendors understanding of the cultural differences and not being so vocal with their 'invitations' to stop to browse or chat...they are outnumbered, I agree. But unless one purposely stops to take a breather, to sit quietly and do so, rushing from one activity to the other doesn't give you this time. And asking a particular culture to change their long standing ways is easier said than done.

How old are your children? Maybe you could set up a tour for just your family that would allow time for a visit with a Jamaican family with children of their age group, or a visit to a local school that would fit into their category...allowing them to see first hand, the similarities and differences. Expand this day to include any parts of your days at home and what that might be like here? You have lots of choices for what would fit your family best. If you have the time, do plan ahead when corresponding with the tour provider of your choice...let them know your concerns or worries, let them know any little details that would allow them to 'get to know' your family before actually meeting...you'll be suprised how 'at home' you feel from the first moment here!

Hi Tottt, you were correct with the ports we'll visit. The ship, The Ocean Village, sails from Montego Bay, a week later it comes back to Montego Bay to take a different route down the West Caribbean and on it's way back stops in Ocho Rios (before docking in Montego Bay again!).

We've always preferred to do private tours as I'd rather my money went to a local, rather than a large Company. However, this may not be the case on the islands we're not so sure about - Jamaica being one.

As much as I'd love to visit a local family, I don't think my kids (they'll be 11 and 12 when we go) would appreciate it. They are extremely shy and don't interact well, to the point they may appear rude to others.

We live in NE Scotland, and I'm afraid our northern borders are just that little bit too cold for many Jamaicans (and other Caribbeans!) so we are probably more ignorant to the cultures - which is why we love cruising as we get to see many in a short time.

One thing I know my kids will be interested in is the local craft - what is there for them to buy souvenier wise? We found on our last cruise (East Caribbean) a lot did not actually pertain to the islands and we found Rastafarian things on most islands (though very few Rastafarians!!)

Thank you again for your insight. :o)

I was in Ocho Rios, and I have to say, my title of this post puts it mildly. Felt like "bait" immediately after off the ship. But I don't know about the rest of the Island. The "Come to Jamaica" commerical doesn't match what I saw because I didn't "feel alright," felt like bait.

We have a small group stopping in Jamaica in September, and I've been doing a lot of research. We will probably book with a small independent company and do Dunn's Falls. I've read about all the stories about Jamaica, but I want to experience a little of the island. Having said that, we will be careful and use common sense. We will do our shopping in the Island village part, because I'm interested in the coffee, jerk spices, and rum. I figure you can get all that there.

I've been to Mexico, many, many times, on both sides of the country, and the sellers can get pretty agressive there. The timeshare sales people are notoriously pushy. We always say "no thank you" and go on our way. Sometimes it does get tedious, but it's part of the culture and we just move on. I haven't even mentioned the begging part, which is heartbreaking.

I am a big Jamaica fan, been there 6 or 7 times on land vacations and once as a cruise visitor. Yes, I did go "off the reservation", it's the only way to see the country and meet people. Is it different? You bet it is, I met some of the nicest, friendliest people I have ever met however, it is different, like most other countries are different. Tourists need not have fear if they keep their wits about them. Politeness and kindness go a long way everywhere, as it does in Jamaica. Like any other place, there are areas to stay out of, parts of Kingston and bits of MoBay come to mind...this is no different then many other places. The one thing I can't understand is the "I heard" or "I read" therefore "I'm not going" syndrome. Hell, if that was the case there are huge chunks of our own countries we wouldn't go to. Just MHO......

A polite "no thank you" or "sorry, we're not interested" has never worked for us in Jamaica either.. interestingly on Princess Cays I believe the vendors in their "straw market" have been told NOT to harass... they literally leave you completely alone... and, guess what? They sell things!!!

couldnt agree more with Host Caroline. I had a cab driver follow me while driving backwards the wrong way on a street after repeated "no's"

When you arrive at Margaritaville (ask for directions before you leave the ship or someone will only tell you if you pay them) you have to pass through metal detectors and armed security. Something about this is very unwelcoming. Yes you feel safe while dining but what about the walk back to the ship?

There were people in vacant lots, hiding in bushes, following us. These people did not have tables or any goods displayed to sell. They were following you and were trying to sell you "what?". They are not vendors.

I understand vendors taking no for an answer but there are many people in the streets that DO NOT take no for an answer.

I understand that they are poor and are looking for money, but if someone in any major city did that they would be arrested. I have never in any major US city had anyone who was looking for a handout follow me down a street and call to me from behind bushes!