~ La Port Heading To La Jolla All U Californians Help Us Canuck Out ~

worfsmom

We're all committed..... six of us heading to La Jolla post cruise. How far?, car rentals at port?, how much time do we need to get back to LAX?, hotels in La Jolla? what to do?... Do tell all........ Can hardly wait....... tell us Canucks how to survive an earthquake....... can we create one?????? restaurants? bars?....

It will be around 2 hours to drive there, probably 3 or more to get back to LAX. It also depends on what day you are travelling. There are no car rentals at the port, but I'm sure there is something nearby. Perhaps you can get a car rental at the nearby Long Beach airport.

I've never stayed in La Jolla, it is beautiful there, I've noticed very nice hotels along the way. We do go to San Diego a couple times a year and stay down there instead. If no locals answer you here, try an Expedia search to find the perfect place. Have a great trip!

At least I answered one of your questions.

La Jolla is part of the city of San Diego, about 14 miles north of the cruise terminal. There are nice beaches, EXPENSIVE hotels, and expensive shops and restaurants. If you want to shop, eat and swim, La Jolla is a nice place, but better find a hotel with parking included, as there is very little parking in La Jolla, and they are strict in enforcement. Traffic can be a real bear too, esp. in or out of "the Village" during rush hour. Be sure to ask if the hotel is in "the Village". Many people (esp. tourist businesses) claim La Jolla addresses but are a long way from the Village and the beach. If you want to see other areas of San Diego (Mission Beach, Coronado, Zoo, Balboa Park, Wild Animal Park, Sea World, etc.) I would plan to stay elsewhere.

Give yourself at least 3 hours to drive to LAX. This also depends on the time of day and day of the week. Sometimes during peak traffic times it can take up to 4 hours. Another option would be to take the train downtown LA, then take a shuttle bus from there. May save time in traffic. The train station is about a block from the cruise terminal.

You will need to go about 5-8 blocks from the cruise ship terminal to rent a car, depending on the company (those on Kettner or Pacific Coast Hwy). You can walk to some companies, or take a cab if you want.

Unlikely to have an earthquake while you are here. If we do, get next to a wall and protect your head. Don't run outside....you are likely to be hit by falling debris. Don't stand in a doorway, the door can close on your hand. Usually I just ride them out and enjoy!

OK SPLINTER........ You're coming with the six of us....... You're up for a free Alaskan cruise eh? You wish ! We won't be able to do it without you,

If you're ever in need of info re: Toronto, let me know, I can get you around there ,no sweat !

Thanks for the info, I'm going to print it off, so I don't forget. I'm the blonde of the group,and they'll never let me live it down if I screw the info up !

Will check out hotels, parking etc. And will send for maps. I'll let the ol men of the group arrange the car rental, and they can darn well walk to the rental office to pick it up too !

Any bars close to the port for the ladies to wait?

(PS I personally would prefer to go to San Diego)

Archived