Tundra Wildrerness or Shuttle?

sharilyn55

We are going to Alaska on May 18 on the Radiance of the Seas and doing 2 night on our own in Denali (renting a car).

Thought I read on this site something about doing the Tundra Wilderness tour or just taking the park shuttle and seing all the same sights.

Can anyone give me more information about this. My husband and I like to do things on our own versus a tour.

What do you think? We have already signed up for the Tundra Wilderness tour. Will we be sorry?

Thank's for the imput!

The Tundra Wilderness Tour (TWT) is definitely MILES better than the Natural History Tour (both literally and figuratively). That early in the season you won't get much further on the park road by using a shuttle. But the shuttle bus is about 1/3 the cost of the TWT for basically the same thing. You get a sack lunch or snack on the tour whereas you must bring your own food on the shuttle bus. Some TWT busses have a video system to zoom in on wildlife when spotted but some don't.

The drivers on the shuttle busses act as guides though officially they are not guides. They have years of experience, love the park and are very knowledgeable.

You won't be sorry for taking the TWT but it is the same road and same wildlife with either the TWT or the shuttle bus.

I never recommend independent visitors do the TWT. It is a triple cost option, that only you can decide if you want??? The TWT and Toklat shuttle go the exact same distance into the Park via the ONLY road the Park Road, to mile 53. You do need to bring in all your own food and drink on the shuttle, but would be best to consider that on the tour buses as well,since the box lunch is sparce.

I never recommend independent visitors do the TWT. It is a triple cost option, that only you can decide if you want??? The TWT and Toklat shuttle go the exact same distance into the Park via the ONLY road the Park Road, to mile 53. You do need to bring in all your own food and drink on the shuttle, but would be best to consider that on the tour buses as well,since the box lunch is sparce.

Thank you for your imput. How far into the park can we expect to get this time of year (May)?

Thank you for your imput. How far into the park can we expect to get this time of year (May)? Will we see any animals?

Archived