Celiac / Gluten Allergy

DLaForce

We will be traveling on the Western Caribbean Disney Magic on 02/24. We just learned yesterday that my 5 year old son has Celiac Disease - basically an allergy to gluten.

Does anyone know if the cruise line is prepared for this or do I need to bring anything?

We aren't even prepared for it at home so I can't imagine it on vacation.

Hi,

DCL will work with you,, so dont worry.

Here is what you need to do. Go to DCL's web site and print off the medical form or call and have one sent out to you.

Take it to the doctors office and have the Doctor fill it out.

Then make a copy for yourself and take with you. just as a pre caution.

They should alert your wait staff of the allergy and your waiter shoudl ask you about it the first day.

The head waiter will come by every night and tell you what they have for your son to eat.

Now one thing we have had to do, just a s aprecaution, because once our medical information didnt make it to the wait staff . Is take you copy with you and go to guest services as soon as you get on the ship and ask them to verify that the wait staff has been notified of your sons food allergies.

Or what may be even better is to go to the club that is set up for dining reservations and changing dining times. Usually in wave bands or rock n bar d . Ask them to verify that the wait staff knows of this problem. Those people in there are your food servers and should be able to confirm this for you. But if there is a problem, show them your copy of the medical form to help correct it.

The paper they give you at check in will have a place and time to change your dining times, that is where you go if you dont want to go to guest services. Dont be shy, this is important!!

They will take excellent care of your son, guaranteed!!

You will probablyhave to take all your meals in the dining room as opposed to the buffet unless you ask about it the night before with your head server, he may be able to make suggestions for the buffet, but it is usually better just to go to the restaurants to eat all meals.

The first day if you arrive before 2:30 you will have lunch available and at that meal you may have to mention his allergies because you won thave your regular wait staff.

DCL deals with this sort of stuff all the time, so NO worries, just listen to them and it will all be ok.

Gluten foods are hard to find in the stores, however if you go to google and type in gluten free foods you will see a ton of web sites wher eyou can order all kinds of good foods that are gluten free. Prices vary a lot from one site to another, so check out several. It is kind of spendy, but for one person it goes a long ways and is worth it for a healthy child!!!

It will make things a lot easier for you and for him. Splurge on some cookies or dessert items so he wont feel deprived and I would take a few cookies with me on the cruise to give him, they wont say anything if you say it is for a special diet.

Hope this ehlps some and I wish you all the luck in the world making your adjustments, but soon it will all seem normal to you, just take it one day at a time,

have a magical cruise,

mom x4,grandma x4

We will be traveling on the Western Caribbean Disney Magic on 02/24. We just learned yesterday that my 5 year old son has Celiac Disease - basically an allergy to gluten.

Does anyone know if the cruise line is prepared for this or do I need to bring anything?

We aren't even prepared for it at home so I can't imagine it on vacation.

My mother (now 84) was diagnosed with Celiac a few years ago (wheat and gluten free). Wow what a life change. Now she makes her own bread from rice flour. The bread you buy in the grocery store is around $6.00 a loaf. It is cheaper to make it (if you have the time). She does a lot of experimenting with recipes. Sometimes I try it, but it is not for me. She also buys a lot of rice cakes and she takes them with her everywhere. Even on the cruise. This last summer we sailed to Alaska on the HAL Zuiderdam. I contacted the area responsible for food allergies and they said they could not accommodate her. So when we went to dinner the first night, we explained to the waiter and head waiter what her problem was. After every evenings meal, she was given the next night's menu and she chose something from there. They apparently have a special area in the kitchens for this kind of preparation. Also, after the first night's dinner they brought her some rice bread every night for the rest of the cruise. Who knew. So don't listen to what customer service tells you, tell the wait staff and they will look after you.

my sister was diagnosed with celiac a few years ago. when we went to disney world they did offer gluten free foods. i am sure you will have no problem getting what your son needs on the cruise! just make sure everyone is aware. good luck:)

• 6 months later...

I am sorry it has taken me so long to post my reply but life gets a little hectic. I am happy to say we have absoutely zero issues with my son and gluten. In fact, my wife and I commented that they had more gluten free food on Disney than we have at home. My son got to pick his food and got pasta and bread every night. Disney has made a believer out of me.

Archived