Handicapped suites or family staterooms on Carnival or RCCL?

auntpam

Does anyone know if there are any handicapped suites or family staterooms on any Carnival or Royal Carribbean ships? Have any of you stayed in one? If so please let me know what ship, which it was and room number. I sure would appreciate any pictures, too! I am having a really hard time trying to find out if there are any suites or fam. staterooms from either line. We have always had a handicapped cabin for our family of three, but now are trying to find another way to travel as we will have my mom with us now and need more room, but need to be together. I sure would appreciate any information any of you have. Thanks!:)

We had a cabin that would sleep up to 4 on the Vision of the Seas. It was not a suite, but had a balcony. The 3rd and 4th person would have to share a sofabed, which when opened, limited access to the main bed, if that is an issue. It had plenty of room when the bed was folded into a couch, and lots of closet space. It was cabin 7532.

You can find photos on this discussion board:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sailingonwheels/

I've posted in the past that RCCL has, on a few of its ships, a few handicapped JS that are connected to balcony staterooms. This would give you 2 rooms, including one that is handicapped accessible, and 2 bathrooms, and since it has a connecting interior door keep everybody together.

On Freedom class, JS 1628 is connected to D1 1630 (same with JS 1328 and D1 1330).

Voyager class (Voyager, Explorer, Adventure), JS 1544 is connected to D1 1540. And JS 1244 is connected to D1 1240. On Navigator and Mariner it is JS 1608 and D1 1610 and JS 1308 and D1 1310.

I know this does not answer your question, but here is a link to pictures of a handicap cabin on the Carnival Spirit. I took these this summer on my Alaska cruise.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/553480244WWgXRT

I am planning a cruise for my sister who will require a special cabin for her handicap and also only found rooms for two. Our best option is to get that cabin and a room next door or across the hall for the other two in our party. Hope the pictures help you some.

Carnival has only 3 ships that have handicapped acccessible suites, ( cat 11) the Glory, Valor and I think the Liberty. There are other asccessible rooms just not suites. We have stayed in room 7228 on the Glory. My daughter uses a wheelchair fulltime. The room worked OK for us. It has a tub with a hand held shower, instead of a roll in shower which was a drawback. They did provide us with a shower bench which worked great. The room could accomodate 3 persons, my husband, daughter and myself. THe balcony is long and narrow. There is ample floor space to maneuver a chair. We have recently spent a lot of time talking with the Special Needs department because we were trying to book a family reunion cruise. The other ships in the Carnival fleet could not accomodate our request. Even the full suite ( Cat 12) does not have larger doors. I was surprised. We had even sent them the dimensions of her wheelchair to see if it could fit through a regular suite door. It could not and she is a small person. So we booked the Glory again. Our family is great and they were willing to go on the same ship again so she could come also.

• 2 weeks later...

es... Grandure of the Seas 3103. Had two bunks above and two moveabe singles below. No lip bathroom large shower with a flip up bench and removeable shower hose. We had a bad experince with mattress but this ship is due for dry dock in early April when all bedding will be replaced. If I knew how to attach photos I would... Have pixs of Voyager Handicap suite, Princess Dawn.

We have stayed in a handicapped Jr. Suite on RCI's Explorer of the Seas, we actually have the same cabin booked for this year :p. We are a family of 3 as well, always stayed in a Handicapped cabin, normally an oceanview, and it can be tight, especially with Mom's powerchair. It was a very nice sized cabin, big balcony (the ramp out to the balcony was on the inside of the cabin so it worked out perfect for mom to be able to go out there on her own). Has a big walk in closet. The cabin number was 1544, also has the same cabin on the other side of the ship numbered 1244. We have checked into if RCI has any higher grade cabins that are handicapped accessible and this is as high as it goes. i have included a few pictures for ya. Hope these help! :)

1348794054_ExplorerCruise001.jpg.0be32eb060666ee43b0316d753d1a24b.jpg

806755778_ExplorerCruise002.jpg.2fd6fc06dcf9de16d80693a2f4c931ec.jpg

810062981_ExplorerCruise063.jpg.4009c3588006f829403cdba2c53f4302.jpg

1120014338_ExplorerCruise064.jpg.634617956f9b01617639b538d3f50fb9.jpg

572933234_ExplorerCruise065.jpg.9cee4e1e26bab5c35d2398f5261d3178.jpg

I now carnival conquest has a Hanicapped suite. It is great. romm 8???. You can go to the Carnival cruise web site and click FAQ and go to guests with special requirements then click for more info and all ships will come up and you look at each on and the location of each accessible room. also when booking be sure to book through carnival directly so you are iinsured an accessible room

Archived