Cozumel/Belize Excursions

DRMizzou

We are sailing on the NCL Pearl 5 day cruise to the Western Caribbean on 2/11/07. There are two stops--Cozumel and Belize City. Which "ruins" excursion is better-Tulum (Cozumel) or Altun Ha (Belize)?? We would like to do a snorkel excursion in one location and do a "ruins" excursion in the other. I have snorkeled in Cozumel before; so was thinking of doing Tulum in Cozumel and snorkeling in Belize.

Anyone have any thoughts on which choices to make?? Thanks in advance!!

If you check the 'Ports of Call' boards on the main page, you'll find all kinds of info on excursions. If you'd like to snorkel in Belize, I've done the Shark Ray Alley, snorkeling with the sharks and a day at Caye Caulker. It was wonderful. Again, if you go to the 'Ports of call' boards you'll find all kinds of info and suggestions.

We've been to Tulum, Altun Ha, and Lamanai -- which is also in Belize. If you want the most traditional ruins, I'd recommend Lamanai. It's in the jungle, there's a ball court, and (at least when we were there), you could climb to the top of two of the different temples. A lot of the enjoyment in that excursion came from getting there. You ride a bus to the river, board a boat, and get to see the wildlife and scenery from the boat ride, plus the ruins themselves.

Don't get me wrong -- Tulum is beautiful, but it is set out in the open, and I don't think you get quite the same feel as you do from the other ruins sites. Altun Ha is also interesting, but doesn't include the fun boat ride.

Archived