Urgent Car seat question

MNcruisinWkids

Something happened when I tried to post, so hope this is not a repeat.

We are leaving Fri for a cruise to the Caribbean with our two kids 4 and 2. I am not sure if we should bring their car seats or not. We will taxi from the airport to the hotel, then here and there a little in Miami possibly, to the port, then from the port back to the airport. I don't plan to use them on the islands because what would we do with them when we got to our destination (ie beach?) Seems like a lot of lugging around. Any hint from someone who' s been there? Thanks!

We were able to pick up the tote n go portable car seat which is light, problem is no time to install and not very helpful, i would suggest leaving the car seat home or bringing a booster seat for 4 year old and holding the 2 year old. we took our 8 month old and 18 month old without the seats and it was easier.

I will not travel in a car without my child in a carseat. We're renting cars rather than taking taxis and selecting tours where seatbelts are available.

We bought a Radian 65 foldable full sized convertable carseat (folds to 6.5 inches thick) and a carry bag for it.

I would bring a booster for the 4 yo and for the 2 year old it would depend on weight. My almost 2-year old is 22 pounds and we keep her rear facing still--it's safer. We were in an accident a few weeks ago: she was the only one not hurt.

Why would you even consider not taking car seats? You don't back out of your driveway w/out your children in them.....all of a sudden vacation is safe?

BTW- what are you doing on the plane? Car seats I hope!

The tote N go will work in cars but is not approved for plane travel. The sit N stroll is a good alternative for the two year old - it's a stroller and a car seat - works great on the plane. If your 4 year old is under 40lbs you can use one for him also.

There is a new product for the plane -CARES Child Aviation Restraint System - that will work for chidren 22 to 44 lbs. it is light but will only work with an airline seat.

You could do CARES for the 4 year old for the flight (check the booster seat) and use the Sit n stroll as a plane seat, stroller and car seat for the 2 year old.

Safe travels!!

It's not that easy bmgaritty. On some airlines and most excursion buses (yes even the child friendly Disney) you are not allowed to bring car seats on.

When we lugged our car seat when we went on NCL and Disney, the bus drivers for the excursions made us stow our car seats under the bus. No seat belts on the bus means no car seats allowed.

And on US Air, the stewardess took our car seats and made us check them.

So, what do we do? We hire a private driver/car to meet us at the airport with car seats. They drive us to the hotel. Then the next day, drive us to the port.

While on the islands, we do not take taxis or open air buses....only excursion buses. And we limit those as well.

Hi all,

Thanks so much for all the replies. I'm definitely NOT anticarseat- it's just the logistics that are a little hard to work out since we usually travel with a rental car. Keep the advice coming. So far, I think we will do a sit N stroll and a booster seat. I appreciate everyones help and input!!!

It's not that easy bmgaritty. On some airlines and most excursion buses (yes even the child friendly Disney) you are not allowed to bring car seats on.

When we lugged our car seat when we went on NCL and Disney, the bus drivers for the excursions made us stow our car seats under the bus. No seat belts on the bus means no car seats allowed.

So, what do we do? We hire a private driver/car to meet us at the airport with car seats. They drive us to the hotel. Then the next day, drive us to the port.

Yes, Taking a car seat on the plane is that easy......If it's FAA approved. Didn't you check? I guess I'm a safety nut over plane and car travel. I have NEVER had an issue on United, AA, SouthWEST, Northworst, US AIR, or America West. I've been on too many flights with hard landings or turbulence and want to keep my child as safe as possible.

I have heard that some car seats don't fit in some airline seats - I always check what type of plane we'll be on and schedule my flight accordingly.... I'll reiterate again, I've never had a problem. All it takes is a bit of pre travel planning

I do not take excursion buses ...period. I will rent a car or hire a limo, but I won't take excursion buses since I can't anchor a car seat.

I do take taxi's since 90% do have seat belts. Once or twice we've had to wait for a second taxi for usable seat belts but my child's safety is more important. There are so many options for travel car seats these days it just takes some planning.

While on the islands, we do not take taxis or open air buses....only excursion buses. And we limit those as well.

Have a great day!

Yes, Taking a car seat on the plane is that easy......If it's FAA approved. Didn't you check? I guess I'm a safety nut over plane and car travel. I have NEVER had an issue on United, AA, SouthWEST, Northworst, US AIR, or America West. I've been on too many flights with hard landings or turbulence and want to keep my child as safe as possible.

I have heard that some car seats don't fit in some airline seats - I always check what type of plane we'll be on and schedule my flight accordingly.... I'll reiterate again, I've never had a problem. All it takes is a bit of pre travel planning

I do not take excursion buses ...period. I will rent a car or hire a limo, but I won't take excursion buses since I can't anchor a car seat.

I do take taxi's since 90% do have seat belts. Once or twice we've had to wait for a second taxi for usable seat belts but my child's safety is more important. There are so many options for travel car seats these days it just takes some planning.

Have a great day!

Sorry for the dbl post - I guess the boards are still having a problem.

Cruisinmama - Why did US Air take away your car seats? Were they boosters, unapproved, or too big? I can't think of any other reason.... do tell!

bmgaritty - when US Air took away our car seats, one was an eddie bauer convertable and the other was a graco snugride infant seat. They said that neither seat could fit out into the legroom of the actual airplane seat. So I showed them that I could sit the infant car seat in such a way that it didn't go into the leg room (which is strange since an adults legs would go into the legroom, but who knows :rolleyes: ) I pretty much refused to give up the infant car seat since my youngest was 8 months old at the time, I relented on the 4 year old cause I was able to strap her into the plane's seat belt.

On the other trips (3 more since then) the 2 year old was strapped in to her own seat on the plane, which pretty much solved the problem/worries of "turbulance". She was strapped in and going no where.

And there is NO way that anyone would get me in a taxi with my children on the islands. Have you seen how banged up they are? I would love to see the number of accidents/deaths involving taxis verses the number of accidents/deaths involving large cruise sponsored tour buses. I'll take my chances with the cruise tour buses.

And please don't imply that I am just not imformed when it comes to this stuff. I have been running an online moms/parenting group for the past 7 years. We discuss anything and everything that has to deal with children, including children car seat safety.

bmgaritty - when US Air took away our car seats, one was an eddie bauer convertable and the other was a graco snugride infant seat. They said that neither seat could fit out into the legroom of the actual airplane seat. So I showed them that I could sit the infant car seat in such a way that it didn't go into the leg room (which is strange since an adults legs would go into the legroom, but who knows :rolleyes: ) I pretty much refused to give up the infant car seat since my youngest was 8 months old at the time, I relented on the 4 year old cause I was able to strap her into the plane's seat belt.

I guess that comes under "fit". A car seat can't impede a passenger getting by the seat - sticking out into the legroom area. I use websites that give the airline seat dimensions for heavier people. It works for car seats, too.

On the other trips (3 more since then) the 2 year old was strapped in to her own seat on the plane, which pretty much solved the problem/worries of "turbulance". She was strapped in and going no where.

Actually, It doesn't solve the turbulence problem. A five point restraint distributes the forces over the torso rather than across the lap as with a lap belt. Lap belts can damage internal organs whether in car or in a plane - thus the reason for a car seat/multipoint restraint.

And there is NO way that anyone would get me in a taxi with my children on the islands. Have you seen how banged up they are? I would love to see the number of accidents/deaths involving taxis verses the number of accidents/deaths involving large cruise sponsored tour buses. I'll take my chances with the cruise tour buses.

I'll take the taxi with a car seat anyday - we can agree to disagree. You might consider this.....A body moving at 30MPH stays at 30MPH until it hits something. 30 MPH (just for example) is 30MPH whether in a car or a bus. A child stills travels at 30MPH in a bus crash - until they hit something. Or if you are holding them you crush them. Actually, a person will put their arm out which collapses, then you crush them. I'll take the five point restraint to evenly distribute the forces over my childs torso.

I've been on 16 cruises and various vacations around the world. The only time I was in an accident was on a ship sponsored tour bus - actually 2 accidents. I'm glad we didn't have any children on the buses - we did have a couple of elderly passengers with injuries (15 MPH or so).

And please don't imply that I am just not imformed when it comes to this stuff. I have been running an online moms/parenting group for the past 7 years. We discuss anything and everything that has to deal with children, including children car seat safety.

I didn't imply that at all - why the snide comment?

Sorry I read it that way. It just seems like you were saying that if I would plan better than I would have no problems. And that isn't the case.

Taking a car seat on the plane is that easy......If it's FAA approved. Didn't you check?

All it takes is a bit of pre travel planning

That I have also "traveled the world" many times over with my children and have never been involved in a bus accident, I guess we are just lucky...since you have 2 under your belt. Now THAT is frightening.

Good luck on your next vacation. Stay away from the buses.

I also have been forced to check an FAA approved car seat, because flight attendants are not always correct, but they have the final word. Flying alone with twins, I know what the rules are - they each have a seat, one at the window, one in the middle and me on the aisle. But I have had two instances where flight attendants believed that two babies are not allowed in one row (a confusion about the oxygen mask rule), so I have been required to check a car seat and hold a baby, even though I paid for three seats. Even though the safest thing would be to stay home, I know travel is wonderful for my kids, so I just try to be safe and flexible. I do also trust the buses more than a taxi - it just seems the impact of a car hitting a bus is a lot different than hitting another car.

I have found the ports-of-call board to be very useful in finding places to go that are walking distance from the ship.

Best,

Mia

I also have been forced to check an FAA approved car seat, because flight attendants are not always correct, but they have the final word. Flying alone with twins, I know what the rules are - they each have a seat, one at the window, one in the middle and me on the aisle. But I have had two instances where flight attendants believed that two babies are not allowed in one row (a confusion about the oxygen mask rule), so I have been required to check a car seat and hold a baby, even though I paid for three seats. Even though the safest thing would be to stay home, I know travel is wonderful for my kids, so I just try to be safe and flexible. I do also trust the buses more than a taxi - it just seems the impact of a car hitting a bus is a lot different than hitting another car.

I have found the ports-of-call board to be very useful in finding places to go that are walking distance from the ship.

Best,

Mia

I've cruised with my young children and left the car seats at home. It was a risk I realize but the logistics won out. Here are some things to consider if you plan to haul around 2 carseats.....

Where are you going to store them in the cabin? (you are going to be tripping over them all week is what is going to happen)

Imagine taking a tender on those crowded boats with 2 kids and lugging the carseats. Then think about the lines you have to wait in to board the tenders - waiting in a long line with 2 young kids while hauling carseats.

Then you get to the port and you carry the carseats until you find your rental car or excursion. Then you get off the excursion and you want to walk around the port a bit.......with carseats and small kids???

It will be a big pain! Think it thru. Most families leave the carseats at home. honestly. If you don't think you can do that I would just wait to vacation until ALL your kids are 8 years old and 80lbs. then.

And about the safety of a taxi versus cruise sponsored excursions, maybe you should read this article about the Celebrity Chile accident. Those passengers didn't take a "cruise sanctioned" excursion

http://www.lipcon.com/news_article73.shtml

This article says that the safest way to travel, safer than taxis, is a cruise sanctioned excursion bus. So once again, I'll take my chances with an excursion bus and leave the taxis alone.

"On a cruise ship you're in a contained environment," he says. "But when you leave that cocoon, you're moving from a safe environment to one of the highest risks [shore excursions to remote locations]."

Passengers who died in the Chile bus disaster apparently had booked the tour to a remote national park on their own, not through the cruise line. "We do not know this tour operator. We've never dealt with this tour operator before," said Dan Hanrahan, Celebrity's president. Later reports revealed that the operator was not licensed.

Those are important points. Most experts, including McIndoe, recommend taking a ship-sanctioned excursion. Before the cruise line makes an arrangement with a shore tour operator, it vets the company, checking out its methods, equipment, maintenance and safety record.

"You are least protected when you go into town, rent a car or taxi and go off on an excursion of your own," said Michael Crye, president of the International Council of Cruise Lines.

Cruise lines also insist that a shore operator be licensed and carry sufficient insurance. This is not only a measure of the tour operator's competence, but provides for legal redress.

If an accident does occur, injured passengers can seek damages from an insured tour operator. To be successful in a suit against a cruise line, however, one of three conditions has to exist, says Miami attorney Charles Lipcon, who specializes in maritime law: "If the ticket for the excursion was sold on board, if the cruise line had knowledge of a known danger, or if they [the cruise line] in fact operate the excursion."

And about the safety of a taxi versus cruise sponsored excursions, maybe you should read this article about the Celebrity Chile accident. Those passengers didn't take a "cruise sanctioned" excursion

http://www.lipcon.com/news_article73.shtml

This article says that the safest way to travel, safer than taxis, is a cruise sanctioned excursion bus. So once again, I'll take my chances with an excursion bus and leave the taxis alone.

"On a cruise ship you're in a contained environment," he says. "But when you leave that cocoon, you're moving from a safe environment to one of the highest risks [shore excursions to remote locations]."

Passengers who died in the Chile bus disaster apparently had booked the tour to a remote national park on their own, not through the cruise line. "We do not know this tour operator. We've never dealt with this tour operator before," said Dan Hanrahan, Celebrity's president. Later reports revealed that the operator was not licensed.

Those are important points. Most experts, including McIndoe, recommend taking a ship-sanctioned excursion. Before the cruise line makes an arrangement with a shore tour operator, it vets the company, checking out its methods, equipment, maintenance and safety record.

"You are least protected when you go into town, rent a car or taxi and go off on an excursion of your own," said Michael Crye, president of the International Council of Cruise Lines.

Cruise lines also insist that a shore operator be licensed and carry sufficient insurance. This is not only a measure of the tour operator's competence, but provides for legal redress.

If an accident does occur, injured passengers can seek damages from an insured tour operator. To be successful in a suit against a cruise line, however, one of three conditions has to exist, says Miami attorney Charles Lipcon, who specializes in maritime law: "If the ticket for the excursion was sold on board, if the cruise line had knowledge of a known danger, or if they [the cruise line] in fact operate the excursion."

Actually, If you read the whole article, purchasing thru the cruise line does NOT guarantee safety. It only guarantees "insurability" - that you can sue or have legal regress if there is an accident.

Still doesn't convince me that a child hurdling thru a bus at 30MPH is "safe" since they aren't in any type of restraint whatsoever.

It's like the arguement that my big SUV is safe for my child. You're child is not safe unless they are strapped in with a 5 point harness minimum.

I've cruised with my young children and left the car seats at home. It was a risk I realize but the logistics won out. Here are some things to consider if you plan to haul around 2 carseats.....

Where are you going to store them in the cabin? (you are going to be tripping over them all week is what is going to happen)

Imagine taking a tender on those crowded boats with 2 kids and lugging the carseats. Then think about the lines you have to wait in to board the tenders - waiting in a long line with 2 young kids while hauling carseats.

Then you get to the port and you carry the carseats until you find your rental car or excursion. Then you get off the excursion and you want to walk around the port a bit.......with carseats and small kids???

It will be a big pain! Think it thru. Most families leave the carseats at home. honestly. If you don't think you can do that I would just wait to vacation until ALL your kids are 8 years old and 80lbs. then.

The OP is looking into the sit'n'stroll for the 2 year - does car seat, plane seat, and is a stroller. A portable booster will work for the 4 year old. They fold up fairly small.

A less cumbersome alternative would be the sit n stroll for the 2 year old, and use CARES product on the plane for the four year old. Use a tote n go for taxi's for the 4 year old. BTW both products for the 4 year fit in a back pack.

Sorry if you think you're child's safety is a big pain. Walking around the port is easy since you don't have to haul the car seats. BTW- if you did want to do that the room steward will store them and bring them out when you need them - not a big deal.

Still doesn't convince me that a child hurdling thru a bus at 30MPH is "safe" since they aren't in any type of restraint whatsoever.

That's fine because no 5 pt harness is going to protect my child being in a taxi thrown off a cliffside mountain island road with no guardrails.

You can use all of the logic you want. You know those taxis wouldn't even pass inspection in this country. Not to mention the drivers not being licensed. But you are talking about the best car seat. What does it matter how secure your child is if you are riding in a death trap?

Good luck to you.

That's fine because no 5 pt harness is going to protect my child being in a taxi thrown off a cliffside mountain island road with no guardrails.

Neither will a bus protect you - period.

You can use all of the logic you want. You know those taxis wouldn't even pass inspection in this country. Not to mention the drivers not being licensed. But you are talking about the best car seat. What does it matter how secure your child is if you are riding in a death trap?

Good luck to you.

The buses won't pass inspection in this country either.....

Both buses and cars are "death traps" - if my child doesn't fly through the air in a bus or a car - it is still physics - plain and simple.

BTW- I don't let my child ride a school bus either......my state doesn't mandate restraints. Do you?

Safe travels to us both

Archived