Dominica - been there, done that - now what?

kathyjack

Our cruise takes us to Dominica in January. We were there a few years ago and love the island. We did an almost all day tour last time and this time we are thinking we won't book an excursion, just do our own thing. Because we were on the excursion all day, we really didn't notice if there was anything to do just outside of the ship. Is there shopping near by? If I remember, there really aren't any beaches. I know we can just stay on the boat - but anything to do, maybe within walking distance, of the ship? Thanks a lot!

Thank you for posting here- I can't get much information at all on the POC boards.... I've never been, but would love to hear about your visit a few years ago. We're considering the normal- Trafalgar Falls, Emerald Pool, and the Fruit Stand. Are there other breathtaking waterfalls to be seen?

I haven't heard anything about shopping or cool places to stop and get a meal/drink even. Mostly just hear about the 3 spots above and how beautiful and unspoiled the island is.

Our one and only trip to Dominica, we did a snorkeling tour to the Champagne Reef. The bubbles that come up from the ocean floor are warm because they escape from volcanic areas. You can really tell the difference in the water temperature when you move close to the area. Sealife really like it too! One of our tour guides dove to the bottom, it wasn't that deep, and brought up a snorkel tube full of water. When he poured it out into our hands, it was HOT! There were very few shops open that day, but we did manage to find a few souvenirs.

Back in January of this year, we did the whale watching tour. It was a blast, the crew was very knowledgable, and we saw approximately 20 whales. The captain of the catamaran let us swim several times and there was plenty of rum punch.....if you're so inclined! If not, they have non-alcoholic beverages as well.

There is a lot to do on DOminica... one of my favorit eislands. If you are adventurous, there is a Tropical Tunel tour that takes you on a river hike. It is tough, but amazing.

Unfortunately, the shopping just is not good in Roseau. I'd find a tour. AN island tour may have let you see eveything, but you certainly have not done everything!

Archived