Need help packing!!

CountessP

Ok, I guess this question is mainly for the ladies! I know I need to pack in layers for the tours. T-shirts, sweaters, wind breaker, ear muffs, gloves, sneakers or hiking boots.

My concern is my time on the ship, in BA and Valparaiso. I know the dress is a bit more conservative in these cities and am wondering if I should pack shorts, both for walking in these cities and for my days on the ship. How cold does it get during the day on the ship? Are the days brisk and/or cool? How are the evenings? How fancy are people dressing in the evenings? I'm used to cruising the Carribbean and most of my cruising wardrobe is on the summer side. We'll be on the NCL Crown mid-Feb. to March.

Thanks in advance, Millie

I wouldn't say that BA is conservative. Cosmopolitin is more like it. I would compare it to what you might wear for a day in NYC or Chicago.

I think shorts are OK, but they will shout "tourist". I wore black leggings and a nice tunic and felt comfortable even though it was in the 80s. South of Puerto Montt you will find some days in the 40s-50s, but more likely it will be in the 30s-40s, and dip down below freezing at night. We had ice on the decks at night south of Puenta Arenas. Remember at Cape Horn you are only 900 miles from Antartica. In addition, you can have a lot of wind, and often rain. We were on our trip in late November, early December (their spring). I took a down jacket, stocking cap, and gloves, and wore them most of the time outdoors in the colder areas (also a poncho for rain). You really need to pack for 2 different cruises.

Once you are further north, you can pack away your warm clothing and go with lighter gear, but resort wear ashore is not really the thing in most of South America.

Formal wear was long dresses, some cocktail dresses or cocktail pants suits. You may want a shawl or other wrap. We did a lot of star gazing, so went back to our cabin after the show and changed into our warmest clothing to do that when it was clear. Near Cape Horn it was not dark enough until after midnight.

Archived