how to book question

I'm getting closer to booking and have just been reading the price drop threads. I've never booked a cruise myself. If there were price drops, do I have a better chance of getting them if I just book a general view or a general view on a specific deck (ex. ocean view deck 4) vs. a specific room. I thought I read somewhere (sorry it's all getting muttled together on my notes and in mymind) that if you book a certain room you don't qualify if the price drops. Maybe I'm mixing up all my facts!

For our recent cruise, I booked a balcony cabin through an airline website and got a bunch of frequent flier miles. I booked two Class M cabins through a local travel agent, and wished I'd booked those through the airline website, too.

The balcony cabin price did not change. The Class M cabins did go down just over a month before we sailed. I noticed the change on a Sunday, and of course the travel agency was closed. Our agent only worked part-time, and so I couldn't call her until Wednesday. By then the cabins were all sold out, and she told me I was out of luck. I argued with her, and she finally agreed to call RCCL. They gave me the lower price.

With the airline website booking, there was an error on a birthdate. I called their 800 number, and it took a matter of minutes to correct it. The person at the 800 number sounded much more knowledgable about the cruise and cruise line than the travel agent did.

So as far as getting a lower price, IMHO, you have to be proactive, watch the price for your cabin classification, and then if you see a change, call the people at the organziation you used to book the cruise ASAP.

It also depends on your sailing. If you book during a peak time and there is a high demand and limited supply you are less likely to see a fare drop. Also if your category is booked then you would not get a price. Some groups may cruise and book insides or ocean views and then the balconies are left for a drop or vice versa. Its hard to say. I would book what I like at a price I am happy with and the rest is extra. Good luck.

I would book what I like at a price I am happy with and the rest is extra. Good luck.

This is what I'll do, but just wondered if it was better to book one way or another, like if booking a certain way would effect it.

I see you've been on the Magic. We've sailed the Wonder and this is my first venture off DCL and I'm a little nervous about it! I can't decide on 2 of the 122 sq. ft rooms or one of the 157 sq. ft. We've done cat. 11 on disney and they are 184sq. ft.

This is what I'll do, but just wondered if it was better to book one way or another, like if booking a certain way would effect it.

I see you've been on the Magic. We've sailed the Wonder and this is my first venture off DCL and I'm a little nervous about it! I can't decide on 2 of the 122 sq. ft rooms or one of the 157 sq. ft. We've done cat. 11 on disney and they are 184sq. ft.

Get 2 smaller rooms, then you get 2 bathrooms:D

Archived