What to do in Huatulco

CajunLiner

We will be in Huatulco, on April 3, 2007 from noon to 6 PM and were wondering what to do in the resort area. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Justin

Justin

Let me know as I will be with you & Donna & Eluned

David

When you get off the ship, there is a small upscale shopping area to your left next to a relatively crowded and busy beach with bars and water sports rentals available. There is also an "artisans market"/ flea market type area to your right across the main street in front of the pier area.

There is a marina at the pier area where numerous boat operators will be happy to either take you to one of the other bays and beaches along the coast by water taxi or to take you on an hour or more tour of several bays.

Just outside the pier area there is a taxi stand. The taxi we were in was very clean and new looking and had a very nice driver who spoke sufficient broken english to match up ok with my broken spanish.

For an eventual total of 8 dollars for the next thirty minutes or so, he took us at our request first to Tangolunda Bay to the south/east of where the ship docks. This seemed the nicest from the descriptions I had read in advance, but it is more of a hotel area with the nicest beaches being private in front of the hotels and condos. So, after having our taxi stop briefly at the public beach for us to check it out, we changed direction and asked him for a recommendation of where to go. He took us to Playa Maguey, which is two bays to the north/west of where the ship docks. This was a great place to just hang out. Very nice beach and water. Not very crowded, but did have several restaurants and vendors as well as rustic facilities. Had a great meal literally right on the beach at a shack restaurant where they made coconut/rum drinks at your table by chopping fresh coconuts with a machete, pouring the fresh coconut milk into your drink and then chopping up the coconut meat for our dessert. Great, relaxing day, although we do wish we had actually hired a boat for an hour or so to get out on the water.

When you get off the ship, there is a small upscale shopping area to your left next to a relatively crowded and busy beach with bars and water sports rentals available. There is also an "artisans market"/ flea market type area to your right across the main street in front of the pier area.

There is a marina at the pier area where numerous boat operators will be happy to either take you to one of the other bays and beaches along the coast by water taxi or to take you on an hour or more tour of several bays.

Just outside the pier area there is a taxi stand. The taxi we were in was very clean and new looking and had a very nice driver who spoke sufficient broken english to match up ok with my broken spanish.

For an eventual total of 8 dollars for the next thirty minutes or so, he took us at our request first to Tangolunda Bay to the south/east of where the ship docks. This seemed the nicest from the descriptions I had read in advance, but it is more of a hotel area with the nicest beaches being private in front of the hotels and condos. So, after having our taxi stop briefly at the public beach for us to check it out, we changed direction and asked him for a recommendation of where to go. He took us to Playa Maguey, which is two bays to the north/west of where the ship docks. This was a great place to just hang out. Very nice beach and water. Not very crowded, but did have several restaurants and vendors as well as rustic facilities. Had a great meal literally right on the beach at a shack restaurant where they made coconut/rum drinks at your table by chopping fresh coconuts with a machete, pouring the fresh coconut milk into your drink and then chopping up the coconut meat for our dessert. Great, relaxing day, although we do wish we had actually hired a boat for an hour or so to get out on the water.

Atlanta 99

Thanks very much will bear in mind

David

We where there last May.

Have to agree, it is a fantastic port. Wish we had more time there.

Will definately be looking for a vacation there.

When you get off the ship there is a "brand new" dock that you walk into town.

The town is very clean and pleasant. There is also a nice beach. We spent a couple of hrs there. Then I took a taxi the the "Barcelo" to check it out. They let cruise passengers use it. It was nice. I did talk to a few people that said the "Gala" next door was better.

Over all this was a great port. I sure hope that the cruise company's start staying longer and using this as a port of call. I'm really getting tired of the usual ones.

I'm sure that you will enjoy it as much as everyone else:D

The Barcelo didn't charge anything. Not sure about the Gala. I'm sure that you could go to their website and e-mail them with the question.

Thanks kpalmer....I'll try that....I did email Krystal Resort in PV with that question and didn't get any reply from them....I've noticed a few comments from CCr's that the hotels don't seem to want us there...wonder why not..seems to me it would be easy $$$ for them...

Archived