Legend of the Seas 7/18/04 Review

Just got off the ship yesterday and had a great time.

Food was quite good and our wait staff were excellent (We had Adam and Raymond). Cabin stewards were also very good (Chris and Bob) and we liked the new tag team approach.

The Boarding process was very organized and smooth and we were on ship ship by 11:30 probably amongst the first 50 to board. Disembarkation was also smooth but seem to take a while. We didn't get off the ship until almost 10:30. The disembarkation color tags were given out by cabin assignments (other than those that were based on air booked through RCCL). This was new to us and it worked out OK because the airport is so close in San Diego. Our flight was at noon so by 10:30 I was getting a little worried.

The entertainment on the ship was very good in the theatre and the entertainment in the lounges was the best we have had in 7 cruises. Major Handy, Noah Levi, 3 left right, and the evergreen trio were all great.

Ports were better than we had anticipated. I had seen many postings indicating that the Mex Riv was not as good as the Carib. However, we enjoyed all three ports and found them to be generally cleaner and safer than our recent trips to the Carib. The highlight of our port time was our day with Randi's Happy Horses in Mazatlan. It was just a beautiful day riding the horsed through the coconut planatation and on the beach and then a private lunch at Victor's on the beach topped off by a beautiful beach with great surf.

The lowlight of the trip was the pirate ship in PV. I would highly discourage anyone from this excursion. They sold tickets to others not on the ship and they were all seated in the first two sections so all the RCCL guests were in the back. We could not hear or see and they ran out of food so guess who went hungry - the RCCL guest. The beach was like a postage stamp size with hundreds of folks fighting for a space. No restrooms on the beach and you were there for hours. Oh, did I mention the boat ride to the beach took 2 hours. Then we were hauled off the ship in very tiny boats that were overpacked. I could go on and on but let's get back to the good stuff.

The cruise director was acceptable. He thinks highly of himself but he did a good job. The mood on the ship is a good one and all could tell that the captian was well liked - always a good sign. The shops on board had good merchandise and the service was good. The ship was in great shape for its' age. Food in winjammer and solarium was better than what we had on Navigator last summer. Mini golf course looked a bit tired. Salt water in the pools which was great by us, but i have heard some chat on the boards that they might be switching to fresh.

Any questions just ask.

Thanks for the review! We leave on the 8th and are still trying to figure out what to do in Cabo? What did you do and would you do it again or did you hear of anything we should try? We're thinking of heading to the beach (maybe via a resort?) and then around town for a bit. ANY suggestion would be greatly appreciated! (We did the sail and snorkle 7 years ago and were greatly disappointed...so are looking for a different option this time.)

You guys are making me a little afraid of the excursions we selected. We leave on Sunday and have the sail and snorkel in Cabo and the Pirate Ship in PV. I guess that we'll just make the best of it.

In Cabo we took the lands end boat trip and beach break. It was a very nice boat ride out to see the rock formation and then they took us via bus to a nice resort with a beautiful beach for a few hours. Very nice lounge chairs with umbrellas and our kids (19 and 16 ) rented jet skis for a reasonable rate. We were quite happy with this excursion. It was laid back and nice. THey will drop you off in town on the way back.

As for PV, I wish someone had told me about the pirate ship as I would have picked something else.

Also, we were quite surprised at how dressed down some folks were especially on the casual nights. I don't think it is appropriate to wear shorts into the dining room and there were numerous folks dressed at that level.

I just wanted to thank you for giving your opinions of the Legend and her staff. Who is the Captain anyway. Do you remember the name of the Cruise Director?

We don't sail till October and then its for 14 nights/Panama Canal trip.

Thanks again:

Carol

Food was quite good and our wait staff were excellent (We had Adam and Raymond).

Was your waiter Adam from Australia? Adorable, shy guy? If so, then they must switch up the asst waiters because last month we had Sasha as the AW.

Glad you had a great time... Randi's was the highlight of our trip too!

We sail on 8/29 and are still trying to decide what to do for excursions. I am looking forward to seeing some new places. Any additional info that anyone can provide would be great. The Horse riding has been recommended by several folks but since I just wheeze around horses, not really practical for me.

For the person who bought the Pirate Trip in advance, visit the excursion desk on the ship and ask to exchange the tickets for something else. We have done that before on several ships without any difficulty. As a matter of fact, they are more than willing to accommodate requests.

Thanks for the info

fran & rick

We are leaving on the Legend on August 8-August 15... we have already booked our excursions and plan to do the Snorkel & Sail Fiesta in Cabo, the Estuaries tour in Mazatlan, and hit the beaches in Puerto Vallarta. Thanks for all the tips, I'm getting very excited! ~Diane :)

We go to the Finisterra hotel - real posh - bathrooms spotless. There is a small outside bar from which the Sea of Cortez and the Pacific can be viewed - not panaramas; more like glimpses. Down by the pool it's like a regular pool/bar and very nice. The Finisterra is very close to where the tenders dock - look West and up a bit. The Pacific-side beach is very nice.

http://www.finisterra.com/htdocs/index.html

Weather was absolutely fabulous - sunny and very hot in port but great for water sports. Sea days were very good. Last day was windy and a bit cool but better than what was reported by those travelling in June.

Cruise Director was John Blair. I can't remember Captain's name.

Yes we had Adam from Australia. Raymond is rather new, he has only been on the ships 2 months so maybe that accounts for the switch in teams.

I am not sure if the ship was sold out. It didn't seem overly crowded but full. After Navigator last summer it frankly felt good to be on a smaller ship with fewer people.

Yes we had Adam from Australia. Raymond is rather new, he has only been on the ships 2 months so maybe that accounts for the switch in teams.

Thanks! Fun to hear others that cross paths like that. Adam was adorable but bashful. We caught him hiding during the first parade, even. I hope Sasha was moved to another area for more experience. I think he will make a fine waiter someday!

One thing that really bothered me on our cruise was the one morning that we ate in the dining room. We saw one of the head "guys" almost yelling at Adam IN the dining room. It was quite obvious that he was getting chewed out for something. Even if Adam had done something wrong, or any waiter for that matter - there is no reason to confront him in the dining room. I thought it was odd.

Also glad that you had better sea days at the end... you are right, June was might cold on those last two days.

Thanks again!

Hi all

Has anyone been on this tour. Its the private beach and home of John Houston. Thanks for the info on the Pirate ship as we had looked at that too.

This is our second time on this itenarary and we swam with the dolphins last time and it was great.

Thanks for any infomation

We leave 08/08/04 oon the Legend of the Seas

• 2 weeks later...

In an early summer post, driftychick reported that the captain is Teo Strazick, the cruise director is John Blair, and also mentioned an assistant cd named Franco. As of today, RCCL says the cd is still John Blair. Does anyone know Franco's last name or where he is from? My DH and I met a cruise staffer named Franco several years ago. We're doing back-to-back Ensenada-Hawaii-Ensenada from 10/31 through 11/21. It would be a hoot if this is the same Franco.

He went by something like Franco Fonzerelli! LOL No really. He was goofy funny. He is the Bingo guy. The asst CD is John Blair's wife. I could be wrong about her being the actual asst CD, but they do work as a team. Franco's trademark was when he said Hello - you would respond with "Helllo, Hello, Hello". Not sure if that helps or not. He has been on the ship for a while though. And I THINK he said he has worked for RCCL for 5 years or more.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived