Fishing in Icy Strait Point?

justvisiting

Greetings! My husband and 11 assorted family members are sailing on Celebrity Summit in August and are working on shore excursions. Unfortunately, we keep getting blocked out (good for Celebrity, bad for us! :rolleyes: )

We really wanted to experience fishing in Alaska, and the Salmon excursion in Icy Strait seemed great (they take you to a location w/great scenery, wildlife, etc) but we're closed out. We have 4 that want to fish, and and got locked out after booking 3.

Does anyone know of any independents that would provide a great experience? I realize this is a brand spanking new port, so advise from cruisers may be sparse, but I'm optimistic that a wonderfully knowledgable and enthusiastic local might be able to help out!!

thanks in advance!

ISP is a very small place. I don't think that they really have any "independents" that you can book through. Hoonah is the local village and has some commercial fishing, but the operation is run by Celebrity/Royal Carribean along with the local tribe. They seem to have kept out the competition so they can control the quality of the visits this year while they get their feet wet at hosting cruise ships.

Sounds negative, but it really isn't meant to be. They are trying really hard.

I got an email address from the local shuttle bus driver that goes between "Cannery Point" and Hoonah. Try sending him an email- maybe he knows someone.

harrysharclane@yahoo.com

We fished with an independent, http://www.g-wind.com in Icy Straight on June 30th. The owners of the boat were teachers, so I doubt they'll be there in August as they were heading back to North Pole, AK a couple of weeks before school starts. But while we were talking to our captain, he said he gets many inquiries from his website for people needing things he can't offer. But he said he would just refer them to other operators who could meet their needs. His name is Shaun and he grew up in Hoonah. His summer home is there now and is the same one he grew up in. It's worth going to their website and giving him a call. He may be able to lead you in the right direction. It's worth a shot. And the fishing in Icy Straight is awesome. I caught a 45 lb. Halibut and a 10 lb. Salmon and my husband caught a 20 lb. King Salmon and an 18 lb. Halibut. That's one good thing about the independents. You can do both if you want. And the cruise ships only seem to do the Salmon. Good luck and I hope you get to fish there. We got two tours in one because there was a whale show that was going on not too far from our boat that was just out of this world. They must have breached 12 times. And one of the times, the mother and her baby breached simultaneously at the same time. It was simply incredible.

Thanks for the info...I found a local outfitter in Icy Strait, in addition to the one posted (I hope our experience will be as great as yours was!!) For those interested, Tok River Outfitters provides various services- whale watching, fishing of your choice, etc. Phone number is 907-945-3274, I spoke with Joyce who was extremely friendly and helpful. We set up a fishing excursion, it sounds like its going to be awesome. I'll follow up afterwards....

Here is the link....

http://www.huntingtop10.com/guides/ak/akgd8/

Archived