Belize and Costa Maya excursions

smoothsailor

In Belize we went cave tubing and it was great. In Guatemala we went with Gus which to date was the BEST shore excursiion I've ever been on.

In Costa Maya we got massages for $30 for an hour right on the beach. If you want to go snorkeling there's many boats you can just hook up with at the beach Malhual (sp) that are inexpensive. We didn't snorkel because the water was rough and visibility was bad.

I recently put some pictures of Guatemala on my blog if you're interested.

I also have a Guatemalan slideshow here http://s414.photobucket.com/albums/pp226/mookster62/nat%20nast/Guatemala/?albumview=slideshow

click on "Full Screen" on right hand corner for best effect.

Several years ago we met some people in port from another ship. They had been to Belize and said the island was dirty and they didn't like it at all. is this true? Curious.

If you're referring to the "island," Ambergris Caye, I've heard only great things about the reef. Belize City is quite shabby and dull but it's interesting simply because you're there. Outside of the city, there are great ruins, jungles, rain forests, rivers. Flora and fauna abound.

Liz

[

In Guatemala we took a boat tour up the coast and down the Rio Dulce with a stop in Livingston with Happyfishtours.com.

Diane

I gather that Happyfishtours takes the same route as Go with Gus. "Happy" costs $50. "Gus" cost $80 and includes lunch.

I think we'll reserve with Happy if all else is equal.

Anyone else thinking about the same?

Liz

I am a 1st time cuiser and I need some advise about some of the excursions offered by HAL at the ports of Santo Tomas de Castilla, Belize City and Costa Maya.

We want to do some snorkaling (purhaps the "snuba diving & beach break" in Costa Maya would be good) and we also find the "cave tubing & rainforest walk" offered in Belize very interesting. Has anyone done either of these? From what I have read in the tour books Belize is famous for its snorkaling - is Costa Maya good too or should we try to arrange snorkaling in San Tomas on our own?

:) Thanks!

my girlfried and i are going cave tubing in belieze also have heard only good things except carnival doesnt offer this tour because a woman fell into a worpool and drownd .cant let that keep us from trying it.there is a zipline tour in costa maya that looks preety cool we are going to try that havent heard anything good or bad about it it is new. google costa maya excurtions and you will find it we will be sailing on rydam oct 18 will let you know how it went.have a great cruise.

my girlfriend and i are also cavetubing in belieze have heard only good things except carnival doesnt offer this tour anymore because a woman fell into a wirlpool and drowd. but we are not going to let that detour us from trying it. also there is a zipline tour in coasta maya that looks prety cool ; havent read any reviws on it but i hear the snorkeling is sub par in coasta maya. we are sailing oct18 on rydam will let you know how it went. have a great cruise.

We, too, recommend Nacho enthusiastically!

Nacho took my daughter and me to Altun Ha in January; we arranged to share his services with two other CC members and found it quite reasonable. We had plenty of time to enjoy the site before the mobs arrived, and when they did, Nacho whisked us off to a great neighborhood restaurant (HIS neighborhood) for a delicious, inexpensive, and authentically Belizean meal. We also went to the new national museum (something I would only suggest only if you are already fascinated by Mayan culture or art history -- fabulous artifacts, displayed well but with little documentation). He is a VERY able guide and makes everything VERY easy for his customers. AND Nacho made us feel more like guests in Belize than tourists.

Teachman, I just can't choose between ancient sites: it's a problem I have! Quirigua is definitely on my someday-soon list; I want to go there because it is both historically important (like Tikal) and artistically rich (like Copan). I certainly have heard great things about Chacchoben (and David and Ivan were up and running again last January), but we were so exhausted at the end of our port-intensive itinerary (and my daughter's age and mine COMBINED equal 70) that we cancelled our tour with Native Choice to lie on the beach and recuperate. I don't think their tours fill, even on days when they're working with the cruise lines; if we go on this itinerary again, we will certainly try to find out so we can leave ourselves some room to improvise.

(Sorry for the double post: dang that 15 min. limit on editing!)

A couple of years ago we were Beleize and did the zip line and cave tubing. they were both wonderful. You hike a fair ways thru the jungle to get to the site for the cave tubing, and you carry your tube with you. It's well worth the experience..... We never made it to Costa M, as a hurricane wiped it out....

Archived